Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player

stevied

Not sure if this topic has already been posted lately but I thought it could be interesting to discuss. If you had to nominate one, and only one, favourite all time Balmain Tigers, Western Suburbs Magpies or Wests Tigers player, who would it be? Give the reasons for your selection.

I found it incredibly difficult to choose one. Players that sprung to mind included; Wayne Pearce, Ellery Hanley, Larry Corrowa and Mick 'Ginger Meggs' Neil from the golden 80s era and Benji Marshall and Brett Hodson from the 2000s. I'm sure my choice from the very recent past would have been James Tedesco but he defected so I will rule him out.

In a close tussle between Junior and Marshall, I'll nominate Benji. I've always tended to favour attacking players and Marshall (bias aside), at the peak of his powers, had the most audacious attacking flair, combined with sublime skills, I've ever seen in my whole, entire life of watching league.

Your turn!

John Dorahy - man that guy was so evasive! I remember seeing him score a solo try from one end of the field to the other in driving rain at Lidcombe Oval one day, I think it was against Souths. Anyway doesn’t matter who, but he virtually side stepped every single player in the opposition team on his way to scoring - no one could lay a hand on him. As a kid, I thought he was magical! Sure could use a fullback like him in our team right now.

Junior....man was just a legend....didn't have the skill but had more heart than anyone I ever saw. Great leader

@OzLuke said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096079) said:
Junior....man was just a legend....didn't have the skill but had more heart than anyone I ever saw. Great leader

Agreed and a top bloke!

@Spud_Murphy said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096076) said:
John Dorahy - man that guy was so evasive! I remember seeing him score a solo try from one end of the field to the other in driving rain at Lidcombe Oval one day, I think it was against Souths. Anyway doesn’t matter who, but he virtually side stepped every single player in the opposition team on his way to scoring - no one could lay a hand on him. As a kid, I thought he was magical! Sure could use a fullback like him in our team right now.

Hire him to tutor Thompson 😁😁

@Spud_Murphy said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096076) said:

And very unassuming guy. He wasn't called 'Joe Cool' for nothing. Of course, the Silvertails stole him.....

I watched Philpanos (sp?), Raudonikis, Donnelly, Dorahy, O'Grady, Boyd, Goodwin, McMahon, Hanley, Corowa, Jack, Roach, Freeman, Elias, Prince, Farah, Sironen, saw video of Barnes, Summons, Diamond.. but as above the two that stood out for me were Jnr Pearce and Benji Marshall. Jnr for a bloke his size put in more than his far share every game .. if he was only 10 more kilos heavier the bloke would have ruled the NRL in his time. Benji .. he brought magic back to the Tigers and the NRL .. when he touched the ball he made something happen out of nothing .. !! My youngest born in the 2000 grow up watching Benji and tried to replicate his running game .. goose steps, no look cut passes and al the other flair he had .. !! So between those two .. Benji gets my "all time favourite Tigers player".

Look there are some damn awesome players in their time.
I remember liking Jason Taylor when he played for the Magpies. Being a Magpie fan was so tough, just no money but so much talent. If we could have even matched half the players like Terry Lamb, etc we would have been a great side.

Wests Tigers, lately I have been rating Pat Richards. Just thinking about the way he played he was so entertaining. Likewise Taniela Tuiaki was just thrilling to watch. Ofcourse you have your Benji's and Farrah's, they will always be club legends.

Wests : Bob Lindner , Danny Peacock ,Tom Terrific , Les Boyd ,John Ribot

Balmain : Hanley , Sironen ,Greg Oliphant

WT :Hogdo , Ben Galea , Skando , Gareth Ellis

I used to love Benny Elias. He was a great hooker but turned out to be a despicable human being outside the game.
I'd say Gary Jack now.

Wow. a really tough question that could keep you occupied over a schooner or ten.....

I'm going to be slammed for my odd pick, but here goes....

For mine, it's Jason Taylor.

He was one of the first juniors to go through the Wests Magpies system when they moved to Campbelltown and he was a dominant halfback at the age of 19 in a star studded Wests side featuring the likes of Paul Langmack, Jim Dymock, Terry Hill, Andrew Farrar, David Gillespie etc.

I even remember he came to my school once and spent hours talking to kids, signing autographs etc. It was a real buzz for eight year old me.

I wasn't really a fan when he moved to Norths and I wasn't a big fan of his coaching, at WT, but.....

I did have an accidental chat with him when he was coach and for all the bagging he copped, it was a really pleasant conversation.

My mother used to have a crush on John. Said he had sexy legs.
They were tree trunks.

@Papacito said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096093) said:
Wow. a really tough question that could keep you occupied over a schooner or ten.....

He was one of the first juniors to go through the Wests Magpies system when they moved to Campbelltown and he was a dominant halfback at the age of 19 in a star studded Wests side featuring the likes of Paul Langmack, Jim Dymock, Terry Hill, Andrew Farrar, David Gillespie etc.

I even remember he came to my school once and spent hours talking to kids, signing autographs etc. It was a real buzz for eight year old me.

I wasn't really a fan when he moved to Norths and I wasn't a big fan of his coaching, at WT, but.....

I did have an accidental chat with him when he was coach and for all the bagging he copped, it was a really pleasant conversation.

Jason was a great player with plenty of heart. He got smashed more than anyone I've seen play the game but he always got back up.
That face is all mashed up for a reason. He copped it.

@matchball said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096096) said:
@Papacito said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096093) said:

Jason was a great player with plenty of heart. He got smashed more than anyone I've seen play the game but he always got back up.
That face is all mashed up for a reason. He copped it.

True. He played in an era where halfbacks weren't nearly as protected as they are now. I can remember more than a few times where he got up from a late hit with his face covered in blood.

I was there that day sitting on the hill behind the goalposts at the grandstand end of the ground. Your memory is spot on. It was Souths and the rain was absolutely pelting down. One of the best solo tries you'll ever see.

@happy_tiger said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096090) said:

Peacock is a nice surprise, I've never seen a bloke return the ball as hard as him.

@gallagher said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096100) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096090) said:

Peacock is a nice surprise, I've never seen a bloke return the ball as hard as him.

Danny was the fullback of the 1985 Qld Sec Schools side and he came back as a mentor for the 86 side ...we became friends after that

Was there at the GC when he dislocated his hip playing for the Seagulls , he lost a bit of pace after that

@happy_tiger said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096101) said:
@gallagher said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096100) said:

Danny was the fullback of the 1985 Qld Sec Schools side and he came back as a mentor for the 86 side ...we became friends after that

Was there at the GC when he dislocated his hip playing for the Seagulls , he lost a bit of pace after that

We had a few Qlders in tha era. O'Doherty, Stafford, Bukowski.

On topic,

Bruiser Clark, Lindner and Hodgo for wests.
Sirro and Maguire for Balmain
Hodgo, Buckets and Benji for the tigers.

@TigerSkins said in [Your Favourite All Time Tigers or Magpies Player](/post/1096087) said:
I watched Philpanos (sp?), Raudonikis, Donnelly, Dorahy, O'Grady, Boyd, Goodwin, McMahon, Hanley, Corowa, Jack, Roach, Freeman, Elias, Prince, Farah, Sironen, saw video of Barnes, Summons, Diamond.. but as above the two that stood out for me were Jnr Pearce and Benji Marshall. Jnr for a bloke his size put in more than his far share every game .. if he was only 10 more kilos heavier the bloke would have ruled the NRL in his time. Benji .. he brought magic back to the Tigers and the NRL .. when he touched the ball he made something happen out of nothing .. !! My youngest born in the 2000 grow up watching Benji and tried to replicate his running game .. goose steps, no look cut passes and al the other flair he had .. !! So between those two .. Benji gets my "all time favourite Tigers player".

Olsen Filipaina Tigerskins! He was a wrecking ball and so much fun to watch.

Anyone leaving the great Dallas out of Wests is silly ...Joe Cool Tommy Boyd and O’Grady were my faves In the later years I really liked Brandon Pearson till he changed his name

For Balmain I’ll go with Mick Neil and Garry Jack

Latest posts

Members online

Back