Wooden spoons get won in the off season: Our 2,3,4,5.

The issue is that too many guys that should be 'in the mix' are actually 'starters'.

If the Tigers are going to hold strong to being a 'development club', you don't throw out To'a & Tupou. While it would be GREAT if they were "in the mix", they are actually starters.

Tigers need either a centre & winger, or 2 wingers, to make Nofoaluma, Naden, Reilly, Kepeoua & Feledy "in the mix" guys & not starters.

Some here don't like him, but I think Doueihi is a starter in the centers. He has an incredible ability to beat his man & create space. But he will miss a chunk of the season.

Tigers need to improve in 2 ways- defensively & impact. Many calling for speed, but other than Nofa, there's enough speed already there. To'a & Tupou are not slugs.

I think Olam makes sense. Most already know my thoughts on Hymel Hunt. I think that Lualili'i- the fullback/winger, is probably 'in the mix' as well. First things first- the OB cannot be a defensive liability. They get that right, and the halves prove to better than last year, and we are better.

Some here don't like him, but I think Doueihi is a starter in the centers. He has an incredible ability to beat his man & create space. But he will miss a chunk of the season.

I think he might do a job in the centres for us but there are two problems. His defense is puss. He also seems to believe he is an NRL level half or fullback and he wants the team to revolve around him.

If he commits to playing at centre and works on his game he might come good which would be unreal.

I think he might do a job in the centres for us but there are two problems. His defense is puss. He also seems to believe he is an NRL level half or fullback and he wants the team to revolve around him.

If he commits to playing at centre and works on his game he might come good which would be unreal.
If he still thinks he's a half or fullback we should be working on a way to move him on or retire him.

Very hard to be optimistic for 2024 and possibly 2025. Although I think the wheel might start to turn in season 2025.

Next year it is unrealistic to think a ageing no7 from ESL and two kids with potential are going to get our club jumping up the ladder. I hope I am wrong but at present I see the bulk of our 30 man roster as depth players at best.

Sadly you can not buy players if you do not have the roster spots and there is not the available talent out there who are willing to buy into Benji’s vision. So unlike the Dogs who seem to be able to create roster space and entice players, we have to keep going down the pathways track and pray it pays off. To be successful with a pathways model you need about four three highly successful and experienced professionals like API to act as mentors on and off the field…apart from API the cupboard is bear.

Anyway you never give up hope 1969 and 2005 showed us anything is possible……although unlikely

If he still thinks he's a half or fullback we should be working on a way to move him on or retire him.

He is only under contract next season. I can't see him getting a shot in those positions and then he'd have to perform much better than he has in the past.

Unless he performs somewhere he'll struggle getting an NRL contract the following season.

Very hard to be optimistic for 2024 and possibly 2025. Although I think the wheel might start to turn in season 2025.

Next year it is unrealistic to think a ageing no7 from ESL and two kids with potential are going to get our club jumping up the ladder. I hope I am wrong but at present I see the bulk of our 30 man roster as depth players at best.

Sadly you can not buy players if you do not have the roster spots and there is not the available talent out there who are willing to buy into Benji’s vision. So unlike the Dogs who seem to be able to create roster space and entice players, we have to keep going down the pathways track and pray it pays off. To be successful with a pathways model you need about four three highly successful and experienced professionals like API to act as mentors on and off the field…apart from API the cupboard is bear.

Anyway you never give up hope 1969 and 2005 showed us anything is possible……although unlikely
A lot of us can’t wait around until 2041 when the moon lines up with our postcode.

IMHO, we cannot use the Poodles as a benchmark as their record of signing many expensive players is awful,
and arguably much worse than ours, e.g. JAC, Burton, Foran vs Koroisau, Batman, Papalii :)

After what he showed this year I find it really hard to believe some people still want him in nrl playing centre, the hardest position to defend? Short memories. He needs to go asap and the people responsible for his last extension need to be tattooed with “I extended Douhie” across their forehead.
Even @Demps has given up on him.

After what he showed this year I find it really hard to believe some people still want him in nrl playing centre, the hardest position to defend?

Where else could you play him ? I think he might be too slow for the centres but as you state his defense is the issue and that is going to be an issue wherever you play him.

Toa's a career tourist. Showed glimpses at Newcastle & 1 good game for us.
He's content being selected in 1st's.
This is my concern also. He was an absolute superstar junior. His natural abilities are as good as any centre in the comp. Couldn't crack Newcastle's first grade side due to poor work ethic and his inconsistent performances suggest that has continued here.
I'd like to keep him here because I believe if he ever has a proper dig he has superstar potential. Im just unsure we will ever see it, particularly whilst he has no competition for his spot.

the club has already told us that 24 is a write off. Since they fired Madge the narrative has always been about building a roster for Benji in 2025. They've updated that narrative to say Benji is ready to take over coaching now but still the story is that they are building for 2025.
God I hate that, irritates me no end. They tell us every year that next season will be a write off because we’re planning for 2050 blah, blah…over it! How about some NOW thinking for once instead of the perennial building for a future that JUST. NEVER. COMES!

Where else could you play him ? I think he might be too slow for the centres but as you state his defense is the issue and that is going to be an issue wherever you play him.
It’s simple, he needs to play at a different club, or union, they don’t tackle over there.

It’s simple, he needs to play at a different club, or union, they don’t tackle over there.

For his sake I hope he works on his defense and then maybe he can make it in the NRL but I think it's going to be tough for him.

For his sake I hope he works on his defense and then maybe he can make it in the NRL but I think it's going to be tough for him.
Yeah I don’t wish him the worst, I just want our club to win, and I can’t see that happening with him in the team, or even stinking up our reggies.
So it’s somewhere else or pick a pub side in the local Cambo or Balmain area comp.

I hate to say it but back to back to back Wooden Spoons are on the cards.

Except for Bula the backline does not excite me, unknown halves pair and L Plate Coach.

On paper WT looks one if not the weakest team.

I am shocked at our lack of urgency at fixing our backline this off season.

The simple reality is our 2-3-4-5 are, by far, the worst in the NRL.

Not only the worst attacking wise, but also defensively. Other teams can just swing it wide, draw and pass, and score on us regularly. It is literally like conceding any chance at winning before we start. They are the worst 2-5 in the comp in all areas.

We will come last again unless we change things. Why on earth has Staines not been signed so far? Why is the top 30 full of forwards who will never even play (Tumeth, Mansfield etc) and zero outside backs?

2 Nofa: this bloke is years past his best. Worst defender in the comp.
3. Toa: he is a back up at a finals type team. Good once a month.
4. Naden: one good game a year. Well past his use by date. Horrible defensively.
5. Tupou: lots of talk that he lacks any real ability to learn. Slow and no real footy instincts.

Depth:
Reliy: I have seen him a dozen times in state cup. Yes, has some nice moments...but has fundamental flaws and is not an NRL player.
Feledy: lacks the pace and size of an NRL player.
Kepoa: by FAR the worst defensive back in the NRL last season. If he is our backline depth again, god help us. Not even a state cup back.

This backline would not threaten much in State Cup. Most of them have spent time in state cup and done very little. That says it all...

We do not even have a FB back up if Bula gets hurt.

It is a shockingly bad backline and has wooden spoon written all over it. Why on earth is there no desperation to fix it?
Yep me too and add to that the apparent reluctance to re-sign Staines, one of our better performing three quarters. We seem to have a bit of a history of not trying to fix the glaring weaknesses in our squad in a hurry.

I recall us going into many seasons with a lack of a decent goal kicker, forwards that had no punch and of course the perennial reliance on Brooks to steer the ship at the expense of actually buying a creative, game controlling halfback. Those things have now finally been addressed, but it’s taken eons and the new half acquisitions are still yet to be tested.

The weak defensive backline problem, however, still exists with no end in sight. To be fair though some of the backline purchases we made to rectify things, over the past few years, have really let us down. I actually expected a lot more from players like Roberts, Doueihi, Leilua and Naden - all players who have performed much better at other clubs have been very disappointing in our colours. And the young blokes like Tupou, Toa and Reilly just aren’t up to it yet, but hopefully they will improve over time.

What I cannot comprehend though is the persistence in recent years with defensive liabilities like Nofa and Kepaoa! Surely there has to be a couple of three quarters on the market somewhere who can bring some spark and much needed defensive structure to our backline. I don’t know who, but that’s not my job. It‘s up to our recruitment to seek them out, but apart from a pie in the sky attempt to lure Bradman Best, I’ve heard nothing about WT chasing anyone to shore up our backline and fix the long standing attack/defence problems you speak of Ellery.

perennial reliance on Brooks to steer the ship at the expense of actually buying a creative, game controlling halfback. Those things have now finally been addressed, but it’s taken eons and the new half acquisitions are still yet to be tested.

I think Brooks would be the no 1 pick in the halves if we had him next season. We have not solved the halves problem. That is like stating Hastings solved our halves problems.

We are hopeful guys like Sullivan, Fainu and Galvin come good over the next couple of seasons and we end up with better halves but we are taking a massive risk and hoping it comes off.

I like the idea and have no problems with it but let's not state that our halves are now fixed. They need to perform on the park.

By the time you need your 2-5 to make a defensive decision or make a one-on-one tackle, it's already too late IMO. They'll make the right decision and make the tackle at best 4/5 times no matter how elite you are, you'll concede a try eventually.

The issue isn't just on the inside, the issue is lack of consistency and being there just in case. Every team has 13 players, but the good teams cover every possible place the ball could go, ours just takes every tackle as it comes.

The backline isn't exempt from this criticism either, but mostly there is a 3 on 3 or a 2 on 2 with 15m space. For even a half decent back, that's too much.

By the time you need your 2-5 to make a defensive decision or make a one-on-one tackle, it's already too late IMO. They'll make the right decision and make the tackle at best 4/5 times no matter how elite you are, you'll concede a try eventually.

The issue isn't just on the inside, the issue is lack of consistency and being there just in case. Every team has 13 players, but the good teams cover every possible place the ball could go, ours just takes every tackle as it comes.

The backline isn't exempt from this criticism either, but mostly there is a 3 on 3 or a 2 on 2 with 15m space. For even a half decent back, that's too much.
You keep repeating this notion that if centres and wingers are needed to make their tackles someone else in the middle has supposeld failed - and it is patently a nonsense that could only be suggested by someone who has never played and has zero understanding of defensive structures!

Sliding or up and in defences require all 12 players in a single line to maintain their structure and make their tackles!!

The best technical defenders in the game are typically centres as they need to be!

You opinion on this is simply ignorant and embarassing!

Latest posts

Members online

Back