Who do we need to bring in to change our culture?

crazycat

We have a culture problem.

We have had a massive recruitment drive this year, yet still are not holding our line and failing to get the basics right. i.e. Tackling.

At the Start of this year, I heard Andrew Fifita say "hey Wests Tigers, I know what you are doing wrong. I can come there and help coach what is missing". I don't know if I believe Fifita, he always has had attitude problems. Flip it, Fifita had been a key part of a Cronulla side that got grit right. I heard Chris Heighington was training our squad and he would have experienced as much Cronulla Culture as Fifita.

Were missing GRIT. We have a forward pack we could not dream about last year. Yes our spine is injured but we should still be defending and holding our line.

Who comes in to correct this?

From the man who knows better than most..

Needs to come from someone current who the players respect
I thought Bateman and klemmer were brought in for this but it seems they are not enough. Api given the captaincy to get him onboard aswell.
I think it will be a slow burn without a seasoned half though
If I could pick someone outside of the playing group it would be Billy slater in some role.Always seems to speak where his words seem authoritative. Would be great for bula aswell

I thought Bateman and klemmer were brought in for this but it seems they are not enough. Api given the captaincy to get him onboard aswell.
If I could pick someone outside of the playing group it would be Billy slater in some role.Always seems to speak where his words seem authoritative. Would be great for bula aswell
Yea, I would love to get Slater in as a coach.

At the start of Slater's career it was athleticism and raw speed. Then he learned how to play fullback.

I always appreciated how other players say "Billy Slater does so much in Defense that you don't see". We need to fix our backline defensive strategy.

It seems though that Slater is annointed as the next Melbourne coach after Jason Ryles. :( So doubt we will be getting him.

Cronk on the otherhand may be available.

I don’t think Sheens would allow someone like Slater to come anywhere near WT.
It’s not hard to see why the Queensland side is so successful under Billy he speaks so articulate and you can see that he knows what to say.

I don’t think Sheens would allow someone like Slater to come anywhere near WT.
It’s not hard to see why the Queensland side is so successful under Billy he speaks so articulate and you can see that he knows what to say.
That's exactly why I am glad the board brought in Fulton.

Sheens has basically hired an entire team around him who could be "pro Sheens". Most haven't had other external experience, only Dave Furner I think.

Ofcourse Fulton needs to bring in the goods. I can't believe that there arent other halfbacks that Manly knocked down in favour of DCE. I want to see some serious names come here.

I also want Fulton to tap Steve Matai to do some tackling training. Naturally none of this happens, we fire Fulton, all good. I am just glad the board recognised that the "Sheens show" puts the WT in a very bad place, with all answers coming from Sheens.

From the man who knows better than most..
Yep, go hard or go home.

I think Garry and the petition team are heading in the right direction.
Will it be enough? Who knows?
We’re talking about convincing the owners to shape up or ship out.
They’ve proven their inability to make sound decisions for the improvement of the football department, so the odds are probably against it succeeding?
Would HBG sell? Doubt it very much, after refusing an offer of $20m from Elias.

It's not one person. It's a team of quality players with a good coaching staff and a good management team supporting them.

We don't need a change in culture.
Each year at around this time, this forum is discussing the same things over and over. Wests Tigers management shuffle a few deckchairs, sell the fans some encouraging spin, and settle back for business as usual. Justin might join the fans on the paddock to kick a few footies to demonstrate his involvement. The funny little guy in the trenchcoat and fedora might give an inspirational speech to show how much he loves the club. And on the paddock, it's mayhem.
Justin is still smiling. The funny little guy in trenchcoat and fedora is smiling. When we lose real bad, they might frown for the cameras but, the bottom line is looking real good. Who cares if we win, this underdog business plan is great. Everybody loves an underdog right? ...and they're obviously willing to pay for the privilege of supporting this pathetically managed team. 12 seasons of underperformance don't lie, and they fit the plan perfectly.
This is our culture.

For too many years our problem has been that we have the culture of a team, but not a club.

We've been focussed on selling pet memberships, playing at more stadiums than the Harlem Globetrotters to make a few bucks and getting more Facebook fans.

It's time for the board to draw a line in the sand and end this madness. We need a bold new vision and a new CEO to make it happen.

We need to pull up stumps on the inner city, move out to Liverpool or Campbelltown, develop a big, attractive pathways program for the hundreds of thousands of young kids play in the southwest and emulate the Penrith approach.

We need to be a club that's proud of our history and becomes a place that parents see an opportunity for their kids to make a career.

We're completely out of step with the way the modern game has evolved.

As much as many of us (and indeed our board) have emotional links to our Wests / Balmain inner west roots, our tree is rotting badly. Unless we do something dramatically different, we'll be having this same conversation in 2033.

Back