Wests Tigers NRLW Player in Profile

C

Cobarcats

Whilst we wait for player contracts to be announced I thought it might be good to do some profiles on players who are heavily involved with the Wests Tigers.

Botille Vette-Welsh
SmartSelect_20230103-072505_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Nickname Bo
Height: 173cm
Weight: 79kg
Birthplace Kaitaia, NZ
D.O.B. 13 Sep 1996
Debut Australian Jillaroos
25 Oct 2019

Whilst waiting for the inaugural Wests Tigers NRLW Team to be formalised Bo is keeping busy after being appointed as a Wests Tigers Community Engagement Coordinator.

Her main role is to talk to school kids and get them excited in playing the game and enlighten then on how to become an NRLW player.

'Who you bleed for'

Bo's passion for Maori culture.

Botille Vette-Welsh’s father Alfred was a te reo Māori teacher in New Zealand before the family moved to Australia and her upbringing has given the Jillaroos fullback confidence to take on a cultural mentoring role within the Māori All Stars team.
Vette-Welsh chose to play for the Jillaroos over the Kiwi Ferns at Test level in recognition of the opportunities Australia has provided her, but she has always maintained a close connection with her Māori culture.

“You can represent your country and that is good, but when you represent the people you bleed for and whose heritage is passed down from your ancestors it is really special,” Vette-Welsh said ahead of the February 12 clash against the Indigenous All Stars at CommBank Stadium.

With COVID-19 border restrictions limiting the 2021 Māori All Stars squad to players based in Australia, some weren’t as familiar with their culture as Vette-Welsh, who demonstrated her Poi spinning skills to James Fisher-Harris’s daughter, Tahira, at a photo shoot for the 2022 match.

The 25-year-old, who captains Wests Tigers in the Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership and will play for Parramatta in the NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership, grew up speaking Māori and competing in kapa haka tournaments against other schools.

“At our school we had both English and Māori education, so you could either learn full Māori or you could learn in English. My dad was a teo reo [language] teacher, so he taught Māori,” Vette-Welsh said.
“I was surrounded by that but there are a lot of girls in our team who hadn’t seen that kind of stuff for a while, or they moved to Australia when they were babies, so they have not really been around it.

“It was awesome for them to reconnect and find themselves, and find their roots as well, but it was also good to show the girls what they are missing out on, and also why we wear the Māori All Stars jersey with pride because of what we represent.”

For Vette-Welsh, the Harvey Norman All Stars match is an opportunity to showcase Māori and Indigenous culture as well as the talent of the players with those bloodlines.

“It is all about your ancestors being there to support you and guide you throughout the game.”

Welsh said.

“First and foremost, we are in Australia so we should all be celebrating that Indigenous culture, and we are grateful to be accepted into this country.

“Obviously the Indigenous people have had a hard time in history, and so have the Māori, so it is awesome that we are able to unite in the All Stars match and showcase the talent and abilities of the Indigenous peoples of both countries.”

"Did You Know".....Bo went to school with Stefano and Tommy T!

NRLW Players: Losana Lutu​

Mitchell Roese & Wests Tigers
Thu 24 Aug 2023, 03:35 PM

Share on social media​

Touted as one of the game's rising stars, 19-year-old Losana Lutu has enjoyed a rapid rise to professional rugby league.

wt2023_nrlw-the-players_losana-lutu.jpg

A Campbelltown Collegians junior, Lutu only joined the club’s Tarsha Gale side during the 2022 season and has quickly made a name for herself.

72527304_lutul-230730_2gt_5666_2023730154046-1.jpg

She starred in last season’s Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership winning side, debuted for Parramatta Eels in the NRLW, made back-to-back appearances in the NSW Under-19’s Origin team, and of course made her Wests Tigers NRLW debut in July.

72527368_tigers-lap_230730_gt_997_2023730143011.jpg

Losana is proud of her efforts in such a short space of time and is excited about the future.

“Honestly all I wanted to do was play Tarsha Gale since it was my first season and I didn’t think about playing representative football,” said Lutu.

Winning the competition and then being selected for rep teams and getting that NRLW contract was something I am really proud of.
Losana Lutu
“I didn’t think I’d get the chance to play Origin this year because I was injured but when I got the call, I was really happy.”

The Fijian-born playmaker is eager to develop her game and learn off those around her.

“The team has a lot of experienced NRLW players and experienced coaching staff so that really helps build my confidence and knowledge of the game,” she said.

“My step-up to Harvey Norman last year opened my eyes to what I can do on the field, and how much I can learn from my teammates and coaches.

72611624_lutul-230806_akd_3087_202386153047-1.jpg

A strong runner of the ball, Losana enjoys getting ‘early ball’, allowing her extra time to execute her skills. She says video analysis is also helping her improve her game.

“I really try and put my best foot forward all the time,” said Lutu.

“If I make mistakes, I will re-watch videos and aim to be better next time around.”

Lutu is grateful for the opportunities Wests Tigers is providing her and other young women in rugby league.

“I don’t think you see as much of this in a lot of other clubs,” she said.

“Wests Tigers really does focus on the development of junior players which shows in our women’s program, and it’s really exciting.

“It is something I’m grateful for and to be part of that pathway is awesome.”

Lutu returns from a knee injury to line up against the Sydney Roosters in Round 6 of the NRLW on Saturday at Allianz Stadium.

Back