cochise

@tiger_one said in [JAC](/post/1226537) said:
@Newtown said in [JAC](/post/1226535) said:
Maguire wants Addo-Carr back but 'no chance' of trading Nofoaluma
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Wed 9 Sep 2020, 01:21 PM

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has confirmed he wants Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr to give him a shot at fullback but won't entertain trading David Nofoaluma to help get a deal done.

As reported by NRL.com on Tuesday, the Tigers are understood to have offered Addo-Carr a multimillion-dollar, four-year contract to entice him back to the club where he made his Telstra Premiership debut in 2016.

The NSW and Australian star is hoping to play fullback and Maguire told media on Wednesday that Addo-Carr possesses "some attributes" to possibly switch from the wing. Addo-Carr is signed to Melbourne in 2021 but the Storm will release him on compassionate grounds provided they can secure a suitable replacement.

"I spoke to Josh, but I have no idea where the management are with that one," Maguire said in the lead-up to Thursday's clash with South Sydney."Obviously a player of that calibre, you're always looking to improve your team so you'd be crazy not to be talking to someone like that. "I think he's definitely got some attributes [for a fullback]. It'd take a lot of work to be able to show that but with some time that may happen."He's quick, he's fast. He knows how to score tries. I think his energy and the way he plays the game, he's very determined.

"That's one thing, you ask me about [desirable] attributes of players, just the determination and the want to win all the little moments. He's a competitor."

While the Tigers have previously been criticised for paying over market value to attract talent, Maguire said he doesn't "delve into" player salaries and would let management sort out Addo-Carr's potential deal.The coach emphatically shut down any suggestion Nofoaluma, who is contracted to the Tigers in 2021, could be presented to the Storm in exchange for Addo-Carr. Melbourne had been interested in South Sydney premiership winner Alex Johnston but the winger has agreed to re-sign with the Rabbitohs."No chance - there's no way in the world that Dave's leaving," Maguire said. "He loves this club and you can see by the way he plays. And I really enjoy coaching Dave. Dave's a Wests Tigers player and you can see the passion in what he does. He's not going anywhere."

Nofoaluma spoke about his strong relationship with Maguire following last Saturday's thrilling comeback win over Manly that kept the Tigers in the finals hunt."When Madge arrived, I think I just bought into the structure that he wanted and what he wanted out of the players. I really adapted to how he wanted to play," he said.

The 26-year-old, who leads the league with 17 tries, has been endorsed for a NSW Origin debut by Maguire and he didn't hide his hopes of being chosen to face Queensland in November. "It'd be great to be able to achieve those honours. I've worked really hard going into this season so it's nice to get some rewards, especially when you put in a lot of effort personally, on and off the field," Nofoaluma said. "It'd definitely be something that I'd really love ... I've been letting my game do a lot of the talking and now it's a matter of the selectors picking me."

Meanwhile, Maguire reiterated there was no problem with the club's culture after non-playing pair Josh Reynolds and Russell Packer left at half-time against Manly at Brookvale.

The former representative stars are contracted to the Tigers next season and they remain in Maguire's plans.

"Our commitment to what we're trying to achieve from when those boys first turned up hasn't changed," Maguire said.

"They're committed to what we're about and whilst they're signed and in my playing group, we're going to do everything possible together to make sure we get the results we're after … When the time's right they'll get selected."

2 points here:

1. NRL media must be short of news if they're squeezing this lemon of a story so hard
and
2. re Madge comments about our club culture - "can FoxSports hear this?"

There are major problems with our culture.

@cochise said in [JAC](/post/1226568) said:
There is plenty of evidence that our culture is still poor, once again we have failed to make the finals, we have failed in the big moments during games, we have lost to the teams below us, we are inconsistent, the leaks from the playing group has started once again, we have high paid players who don’thave a go.

I don't think that is a function of culture. It is more a reflection of lack of talent in the squad.

If we used making the semis as the criterion then a team like the Sharks must have a great culture.

The Sharks in recent times have been drug cheats; salary cap cheats; their CEO was busted for possession of drugs; their coach was suspended for doping his players and cheated while he was suspended; and, their young star has been rubbed out for using performance enhancing drugs.

But they have a good culture because they have won a premiership and consistently make the semis.

@fibrodreaming said in [JAC](/post/1226576) said:
There is plenty of evidence that our culture is still poor, once again we have failed to make the finals, we have failed in the big moments during games, we have lost to the teams below us, we are inconsistent, the leaks from the playing group has started once again, we have high paid players who don’thave a go.

I don't think that is a function of culture. It is more a reflection of lack of talent in the squad.

If we used making the semis as the criterion then a team like the Sharks must have a great culture.

The Sharks in recent times have been drug cheats; salary cap cheats; their CEO was busted for possession of drugs; their coach was suspended for doping his players and cheated while he was suspended; and, their young star has been rubbed out for using performance enhancing drugs.

But they have a good culture because they have won a premiership and consistently make the semis.

No its a different win at all cost culture that is the Sharks issue. Failure to stand up in key moments, losing to teams below us and leaks from the playing group is definitely issues that have come from the poor culture at our club. This is really off topic though so that is the last I'll post on this subject in this thread. If anyone wants to make a thread about our poor culture I will happily debate it there.

Yes, exactly. Seems like culture is just being used as a substitute for performance in some of these discussions.

@Nelson said in [JAC](/post/1226583) said:

Yes, exactly. Seems like culture is just being used as a substitute for performance in some of these discussions.

Its performance when it has occurred once or twice, when you have the same issues for a decade than it goes deeper than just performance. A decade of failure points to something being wrong at the club.

New thread to discuss this issue as it is take current threads off topic

Buzz word. Like game management. Team Culture means someone trying to sound important but really saying nothing. Teams that win have a good Culture. Teams that lose more often have a bad Culture.

You could ask ten different people what culture means and you would probably get ten different answers. The truth is we just want success on.the field and if people want to equate thay to good culture so be it. But I can guarantee the Roosters are have a lot more than culture going on behind their success.

@kiwitiger said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226611) said:
Buzz word. Like game management. Team Culture means someone trying to sound important but really saying nothing. Teams that win have a good Culture. Teams that lose more often have a bad Culture.

I tend to agree but I’ll throw this up as a thought:

It like a chicken or egg scenario

Do successful teams make the culture or does a good culture breed the success..... discuss.

@Telltails said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226617) said:

You could ask ten different people what culture means and you would probably get ten different answers. The truth is we just want success on.the field and if people want to equate thay to good culture so be it. But I can guarantee the Roosters are have a lot more than culture going on behind their success.

I tend to agree that the word culture is probably a bad choice of word but there is definitely something wrong at the club.

Probably right. But some clubs are winners and some are perennial losers, call it whatever, but we are lacking in it.

Warriors are going to miss the eight. Does anyone here think that they have a bad or weak culture in the current circumstances?

Cronulla have a bad culture, drug use throughout the club from top to bottom, some systematically endorsed by the management, salary cap cheating, regular finalists.

Its a ridiculous assertion without hard evidence of specific incidents.

@gallagher said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226629) said:

Probably right. But some clubs are winners and some are perennial losers, call it whatever, but we are lacking in it.

I have a background of working on strategic planning and cultural change in schools. Culture is typically what you stand for as an organisation and it is embedded in all your processes and practices. We have allowed the players to develop that for us instead of it being led by the organisation.

The club’s culture can be defined by the way people behave within the club. It consist of values established by the leadership of the club and is developed through the shaping players, staff and volunteers behaviours, perceptions and understanding of what is expected of them.

There are areas of the club’s culture that is broken. The issue with Packer, Reynolds and MCK is an outwards expression of the club’s culture that needs strengthening. The behaviour is unacceptable and the response by the club is also unacceptable.

@Tiger5150 said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226632) said:
Warriors are going to miss the eight. Does anyone here think that they have a bad or weak culture in the current circumstances?

Cronulla have a bad culture, drug use throughout the club from top to bottom, some systematically endorsed by the management, salary cap cheating, regular finalists.

What do we stand for as a club? How do we embed the the clubs values and beliefs throughout the club?

@mike said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226634) said:
The club’s culture can be defined by the way people behave within the club. It consist of values established by the leadership of the club and is developed through the shaping players, staff and volunteers behaviours, perceptions and understanding of what is expected of them.

There are areas of the clubs culture that is broken. The issue with Packer, Reynolds and MCK is an outwards expression of the club’s culture that needs strengthening. The behaviour is unacceptable and the response by the club is also unacceptable.

Exactly mate, I don't think the club has a set of values and standards that they promote throughout the organisation.

We are going to miss the 8 for the 9th year in a row, do you seriously believe there isn't something wrong at the club?

A popular myth is that "one town club" = "big money" = finals every year!
However, this is wrong! Titans , Warriors, and even Cowgirls, and Broncos say hi!

Our culture is one of mediocrity and a ‘that’ll do’ mentality. This happens after 10 years of underperformance. Hopefully things are changing.

@avocadoontoast said in [Wests Tigers Culture](/post/1226643) said:
Our culture is one of mediocrity and a ‘that’ll do’ mentality. This happens after 10 years of underperformance. Hopefully things are changing.

Having worked in education I call it the "close enough is good enough" attitude and it is basically people who do enough to keep those above them happy, but do not strive to be their best. I had that with kids I taught for years and then when I moved into managing people found that adults suffer from it worse than kids do.

Back