Wests Tigers Coaches

Had a 2 year deal I believe, never got renewed after the 2 years were up
I couldn't remember, I remember him going some heat over hoppas antics. Is non renewed the same as sacked though? You're shown the door

Reactions: 851
I don’t see any point at playing AD at all. Different if we were in playoff contention (lol) and he could add something. As it is, we’re bottom 4 and he’s still struggling. Give him the season, let him have a summer under his belt and see how shapes up for round 1 next season.

I am not confident at all that Maguire could get the same out of them as Payten. In fact, I expect that he would get nowhere near the same results.

I see him as wanting the players to work too much towards his methods, at expense of working the individual's strengths in moulding a team. Basically trying to force square pegs into round holes and blunting the natural skill at the edges of players games, by jamming them through to play a certain style.

Happy to be proven wrong and to revisit this discussion in a year or so when things are clearer under a new coach.
I agree, that was always my issue with Madge, he coached the team he wanted, not the team he had, it was never going to work, and it didn't work, we are just slow learners

I don't believe for one minute Madge was unqualified at developing players. Far from it. He was a coach that looked at the WTs - all our struggles and goals - and created a custom made plan for the team's systematic development, but the chemistry just wasn't there.
If that makes sense

I just listened to west life pod cast re Madge sacking. Don't waste your time. I find these guys way too negative... Doom about players leaving etc. As far as I'm concerned any player that wants to follow Madge can go. I only want players that want to play for the badge.. the Madge off cuts can go... On wards and upwards. ciraldo or morris for me.

I don't believe for one minute Madge was unqualified at developing players. Far from it. He was a coach that looked at the WTs - all our struggles and goals - and created a custom made plan for the team's systematic development, but the chemistry just wasn't there.
If that makes sense
Coaches play a part , but the quality of your roster and the health of your salary cap are the main factors that drive success. After a few years of having most things against him, Madge finally had some hope on the horizon and they flick him.

Coaches play a part , but the quality of your roster and the health of your salary cap are the main factors that drive success. After a few years of having most things against him, Madge finally had some hope on the horizon and they flick him.
I'd say the club are a lot more perceptive (and experienced...) of reputational damage.

I just listened to west life pod cast re Madge sacking. Don't waste your time. I find these guys way too negative... Doom about players leaving etc. As far as I'm concerned any player that wants to follow Madge can go. I only want players that want to play for the badge.. the Madge off cuts can go... On wards and upwards. ciraldo or morris for me.
yep i agree, good on Josh for putting the pod together but geez i could not listen to it, it was way way to negative and way too pro Madge. Rob on Podcast gets way too emotional and every Pod goes on and on about Pascoe how he has ruined the club it gets so boring to hear!! I am hoping this was on a line in the sand moment for the club and onwards and upwards for the Tigers!!! Yup I agree Ciraldo or Morris for me too

I don’t see any point at playing AD at all. Different if we were in playoff contention (lol) and he could add something. As it is, we’re bottom 4 and he’s still struggling. Give him the season, let him have a summer under his belt and see how shapes up for round 1 next season.
Wait til he's ready then play him in reserves for two games. 40-50 minutes each. Get his confidence up. Then get him into the top grade. Round 20ish.

We need to see how he plays with Hastings. Brooks last year next year if he isn't offloaded

I am not confident at all that Maguire could get the same out of them as Payten. In fact, I expect that he would get nowhere near the same results.

I see him as wanting the players to work too much towards his methods, at expense of working the individual's strengths in moulding a team. Basically trying to force square pegs into round holes and blunting the natural skill at the edges of players games, by jamming them through to play a certain style.

Happy to be proven wrong and to revisit this discussion in a year or so when things are clearer under a new coach.
My point was more that Payten has a MUCH stronger roster to work with.
Townsend has been a major part of the success there. Nanai, the hammer, Tuilagi, Luki, Taumololo, Hess, Holmes.
There's 8 players off the top of my head that we would kill for to be in our squad.
Madge might have had his deficiencies, and now we get to see what a new coach can do with this squad of ours.
We should see the results pretty much immediately, considering how bad Madge was ?

You have made some extremely relevant points, but was put off a little by the reference to Simon Dwyer as "the one armed bandit in the coaches box."
Sorry champ no offence was intended, I just couldn’t remember his name at the time of my rant. I loved Dwyer as a player and was gutted when he did his injury. Hence my comments on the club not really supporting these guys. It took Brad Fitler to organise a fundraiser for him, no one at the club did! Thats what needs to change, which I believe under Pascoe is starting to happen. Also things like Tedesco having to originally having to pay for his own acl doctors. But that was ages ago and things are changing from then, but mud sticks.

yep i agree, good on Josh for putting the pod together but geez i could not listen to it, it was way way to negative and way too pro Madge. Rob on Podcast gets way too emotional and every Pod goes on and on about Pascoe how he has ruined the club it gets so boring to hear!! I am hoping this was on a line in the sand moment for the club and onwards and upwards for the Tigers!!! Yup I agree Ciraldo or Morris for me too
Rob needs to follow a new team.. finally the club made a decision. Madge had to go he was a failure. The club was smart the way they sacked Madge its never easy but very strategic how it was done.

Let's not forget when Madge took the job on he said this squad can make the 8... He never got us there.

• Love
Reactions: 851
Sorry champ no offence was intended, I just couldn’t remember his name at the time of my rant. I loved Dwyer as a player and was gutted when he did his injury. Hence my comments on the club not really supporting these guys. It took Brad Fitler to organise a fundraiser for him, no one at the club did! Thats what needs to change, which I believe under Pascoe is starting to happen. Also things like Tedesco having to originally having to pay for his own acl doctors. But that was ages ago and things are changing from then, but mud sticks.
No worries mate, you're right about mud sticking. I personally believe the club is so much better and has come a long way in respect of player welfare and what they do in the community.

There is no way they deserve some of the bad raps they get and although it's fine to be critical of past events, it's also important to acknowledge the improvements that have been made in many areas.

It’s no secret that I don’t see a lot of positives with this club, but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read about anything. You’re ranting about players not wanting to come to the club because a former player suffered the misfortune of having his career ended in a tackle of which many considered a dog shot. What that had to do with our club, God only knows. Think before you write such ignorant BS
Settle down champ, losing the plot are we??
It’s all about culture and looking after people, u don’t do the simple things like this and most players here this stuff!
Man your such a negative Nancy, all the time, maybe it’s to hard for u to comprehend as u don’t seem a very compassionate or complicated human being.

Staff online

Back