Wests Tigers Coaches

It worries me that Ciraldo has been ringing around to gauge people's thoughts on joining the Tigers... Can't imagine there would be many positive things being said about the Tigers behind the scenes.

If having Ciraldo allowed us to nab Burton and Liam Martin, the contract would have just about paid for itself!

Another point - it is disgraceful that Phil Gould is able to use his position in the media to manipulate coaching recruitment and retention at other clubs for his own clubs benefit.
If Ciraldo was to bring 4 players with him in the positions we need to be filled, then yes 5 years could be ok.

Ciraldo, as a rookie, should be at his cheapest. Not knowing the going rate for coaches, but assuming Madge was on say $550K (paid out for the rest of this year and next year), then we might be able to get him for $2M for the 5 years - 5 x $400K. That could seem like a bargain in a few year's time. Just a thought....
"Just a thought" @tiger_scott
But it's only a 'bargain' if he gets WT to and we win the Grand Final within the 5 years.

I couldn’t imagine Payten wanting to leave the Cowboys right now. That would be the ballsiest move since David took on Goliath.

To be honest If we don’t get Ciraldo I think it will be another black eye for the club. It seems pretty clear that’s who the club want. Why sack your coach if you don’t have his replacement lined up?
I think CC has been lined up for awhile.

Reports of talks with him last year and we would have kept the door ajar during the extended Madge crisis this year.

Close to his home, plenty of players with us he knows quite well and if you look at our roster, we like our used Panthers.

His defensive work is sublime.

He is the best coach available in the nrl by a considerable margin.

He will need to be to strap us up.

But If Noddy gets us playing well, he is entitled
to an interview. I’m looking forward to his tenure.

Last edited:
I just cannot understand why Noddy was appointed Coach when Andrew Webster has been the Assistant Coach this year and did an outstanding job with Our KOE Cup Team last year.
Imo from listening to and watching the body language [no I am not a body language expert] from the Sheens/Noddy interview Noddy will not be Head Coach next year.
I know you meant Ben Gardiner mate, I was wondering too what's going to come of Ben and Nathan Cayless.
I really thought I saw a different type of football team with Madge and those two.
Those close wins against Souths and Parra we would normally lose, we showed a fair bit of resolve.
I feel that the roster being inferior is like the saying, "you can get a nag up to win a race but a nag won't continue to win"
I wonder what those three could have done with a better roster, we'll never know now.
I hope we get good enough results for the rest of the year to retain them (I presume they are still with us).
As far as Ben goes I think he would have made a good interim coach especially with the young guys.

You're right mate.

It'll be a huge milestone if we land Ciraldo.

I could see him making a name for himself at the Tigers and sharing many successes.

Just have to get the deal done now.

Madge looked 37 when he signed here..

I have grave fear for Ciraldo’s health bit mental and physical..

Thanks for this article @teddy23
The best bit was the last paragraph where Tamou said he rang Madge to apologise to him on behalf of all the players.
I hope the administrators at the club read that. Even the team of strugglers they were responsible for bringing together realise they are responsible.

• Love
Reactions: BZN
Surely we havent offered an unproven coach a 5 year deal?
Surely we aren’t so close minded that only a “development coach” which is a bullshit term btw, will be the reason to lock this bloke in and not chase proven talent?

Supposedly we have a great pathways system, filled with development coaches, tasked with bringing young kids through to men. Why does our head coach have to be a “development “ guy? These players are going to come from 13’s through to grade in a system and handed over to the NRL team to mold into successful professional footballers. Our head coach needs the skills to turn the raw product into the finished product. He doesn’t need to be tickling the balls of some 15year olds, telling them all their dreams will come true if they do some extra pushups….
I saw the words "development coach" written on a big straw.
Then, I saw many of us clutching at it . . . then walking away happy.
So once the new bloke develops these players to NRL, he still has to coach them to be a winning team.
Or have we conceded that it's the roster that wins and not the coach ?

I couldn’t imagine Payten wanting to leave the Cowboys right now. That would be the ballsiest move since David took on Goliath.

To be honest If we don’t get Ciraldo I think it will be another black eye for the club. It seems pretty clear that’s who the club want. Why sack your coach if you don’t have his replacement lined up?
Actually not too far fetched ….. he’s on top now and hasn’t a long term contract.
And early success with young squad is a very hard to maintain if / when wheels start wobbling later on in the season. Just take Gold Coast as an example ….. they have similar roster but …… ???
Offers for his services would now be at a peak …. and he may be tempted.

Actually not too far fetched ….. he’s on top now and hasn’t a long term contract.
And early success with young squad is a very hard to maintain if / when wheels start wobbling later on in the season. Just take Gold Coast as an example ….. they have similar roster but …… ???
Offers for his services would now be at a peak …. and he may be tempted.
He did convince his board to get Luci on big bucks?

You're right mate.

It'll be a huge milestone if we land Ciraldo.

I could see him making a name for himself at the Tigers and sharing many successes.

Just have to get the deal done now.
I think that’s what we all said about Cleary and then when Cleary bailed what our CEO said about attracting Maguire.

5 years is a long time in rugby league.

We just do what Penrith did to us. Sign him for 2024. Little chance he stays there in 2023.
Makes it hard when Sheens wants to have a coach in place prior to November.
Unfortunately Ivan’s dealings f’d that up for any future coach recruitments. Coaches can only be signed in their final contact year.

• Sad
I thought he demonstrated empathy for Maguire when he refused to comment to the media at the gates after leaving training. It was a nice moment in a tough day.

Back