Wests Tigers announce trial match squads

Fraze23

Squad to play Penrith: Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Adam Blair, Robbie Farah, Asipeli Fine, James Gavet, Dene Halatau, Marika Koroibete, Chris Lawrence, Keith Lulia, Mitchell Moses, David Nofoaluma, Cory Paterson, Pat Richards, Kurtis Rowe, Curtis Sironen, Martin Taupau, James Tedesco, Bodene Thompson, Aaron Woods.

Squad to play Parramatta: Sitaleki Akauola, Sonny Bristow, Corey Brown, Jack Buchanan, Michael Bullock, Jarred Farlow, Andy Fiagatusa, Yileen Gordon, Jy Hitchcox, Sam Hollis, Inno Innosesio, Joel Luani, Allan McGrath, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Ava Seumanufagai, Setefano Taukafa, Nathan Waters, Luke Williams.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-display/Wests-Tigers-announce-trial-match-squads/89772

Wests Tigers Head Coach Mick Potter has today announced two squads for the upcoming NRL trial matches against Penrith and Parramatta next Saturday, February 8.
The match against Penrith will take place at Kirkham Oval, Camden, while the team to play Parramatta will travel to Alice Springs.
>
The crowd in South-West Sydney will see the likes of Robbie Farah, Braith Anasta and local junior James Tedesco run out on to Kirkham Oval to tackle the Panthers.
New recruits Blake Austin, Martin Taupau, Keith Lulia and Cory Paterson will take the field in Wests Tigers colours for the first time, along with returning crowd favourites Dene Halatau and Pat Richards.
>
Alice Springs will also see their fair share of NRL squad members for the match against Parramatta including Ben Murdoch-Masila, Jack Buchanan and Ava Seumanufagai, plus also getting the first chance to see recruit Yileen Gordon in action.
>
Potter said both trials are crucial in getting a gauge on his team’s preparation.
>
“I’m looking forward to the first trials of the new year and we’ve put together strong squads for both games,” he said. “I’m looking for players with attitude, players that want to build pressure on the opposition. I’m looking for aggression, looking for that attitude that winners have.
“The squad for the trial in Camden provides a good mix of experience, youth and new recruits,” said Potter. “I’m looking forward to getting back out to Camden and meeting some old friends, I can’t wait to see the locals fill the ground and provide a great atmosphere.
“For the Alice Springs trial we’ve got some young guys going up who need some game time, it’s going to be a tough game and the local community is crying out for Rugby League and we’re sending a lot of players,” he said.
>
**Squad to play Penrith:** Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Adam Blair, Robbie Farah, Asipeli Fine, James Gavet, Dene Halatau, Marika Koroibete, Chris Lawrence, Keith Lulia, Mitchell Moses, David Nofoaluma, Cory Paterson, Pat Richards, Kurtis Rowe, Curtis Sironen, Martin Taupau, James Tedesco, Bodene Thompson, Aaron Woods.
>
**Squad to play Parramatta:** Sitaleki Akauola, Sonny Bristow, Corey Brown, Jack Buchanan, Michael Bullock, Jarred Farlow, Andy Fiagatusa, Yileen Gordon, Jy Hitchcox, Sam Hollis, Inno Innosesio, Joel Luani, Allan McGrath, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Ava Seumanufagai, Setefano Taukafa, Nathan Waters, Luke Williams.

Judging by those squads obviously the top players are against Penrith and the players taking on Parramatta are the fringe/lower grade players. Does this mean Buchanan, BMM, and Ava are out of favour?

Things to note. No Brooks. BMM, Buchanan and Seumanufagai all going to Alice Springs with the second tier squad.
Thompson and Gavet named with the first tier squad.

@Sabre said:
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-display/Wests-Tigers-announce-trial-match-squads/89772

Wests Tigers Head Coach Mick Potter has today announced two squads for the upcoming NRL trial matches against Penrith and Parramatta next Saturday, February 8.
The match against Penrith will take place at Kirkham Oval, Camden, while the team to play Parramatta will travel to Alice Springs.
>
The crowd in South-West Sydney will see the likes of Robbie Farah, Braith Anasta and local junior James Tedesco run out on to Kirkham Oval to tackle the Panthers.
New recruits Blake Austin, Martin Taupau, Keith Lulia and Cory Paterson will take the field in Wests Tigers colours for the first time, along with returning crowd favourites Dene Halatau and Pat Richards.
>
Alice Springs will also see their fair share of NRL squad members for the match against Parramatta including Ben Murdoch-Masila, Jack Buchanan and Ava Seumanufagai, plus also getting the first chance to see recruit Yileen Gordon in action.
>
Potter said both trials are crucial in getting a gauge on his team’s preparation.
>
“I’m looking forward to the first trials of the new year and we’ve put together strong squads for both games,” he said. “I’m looking for players with attitude, players that want to build pressure on the opposition. I’m looking for aggression, looking for that attitude that winners have.
“The squad for the trial in Camden provides a good mix of experience, youth and new recruits,” said Potter. “I’m looking forward to getting back out to Camden and meeting some old friends, I can’t wait to see the locals fill the ground and provide a great atmosphere.
“For the Alice Springs trial we’ve got some young guys going up who need some game time, it’s going to be a tough game and the local community is crying out for Rugby League and we’re sending a lot of players,” he said.
>
**Squad to play Penrith:** Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Adam Blair, Robbie Farah, Asipeli Fine, James Gavet, Dene Halatau, Marika Koroibete, Chris Lawrence, Keith Lulia, Mitchell Moses, David Nofoaluma, Cory Paterson, Pat Richards, Kurtis Rowe, Curtis Sironen, Martin Taupau, James Tedesco, Bodene Thompson, Aaron Woods.
>
**Squad to play Parramatta:** Sitaleki Akauola, Sonny Bristow, Corey Brown, Jack Buchanan, Michael Bullock, Jarred Farlow, Andy Fiagatusa, Yileen Gordon, Jy Hitchcox, Sam Hollis, Inno Innosesio, Joel Luani, Allan McGrath, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Ava Seumanufagai, Setefano Taukafa, Nathan Waters, Luke Williams.

Judging by those squads obviously the top players are against Penrith and the players taking on Parramatta are the fringe/lower grade players. Does this mean Buchanan, BMM, and Ava are out of favour?

not at all it confirms we have depth that we didn't have last year….and the squad going to Alice Springs need to prove themselves to be considered for the top 17....same goes for some of the boys to play Penrith...

BMM stands out to me there.

why is he going to parra while someone like Asipeli Fine or Gavet is going to Camden?

had high hopes for him to continue where he left off in 2013 and get even better.

also surprised not to see luani with farah.. im guessing halatau is the back up hooker for us this year?

if brooks and fulton are injured.. wish them a speedy recovery.

bmm/ava/buchanan all deserve to be ahead of gavet but maybe potter wants to see gavet with the top squad. we have a massive depth in the forwards this year.. they will all have to push their weight this year.

hope there is not much to read re coaching preferences in the two teams named.

@pHyR3 said:
BMM stands out to me there.

why is he going to parra while someone like Asipeli Fine or Gavet is going to Camden?

had high hopes for him to continue where he left off in 2013 and get even better.

From all reports Thompson has been killing it during pre-season….sounds like the opposite has applied for BMM...shame he has so much potential but he has always been a lazy bugger

Post trial related topics in the Pre-Season/Trial subforum

it's not hard

Could see something like this.

1\. Tedesco
2\. Nofoaluma
3\. Lulia
4\. Lawrence
5\. Richards
6\. Anasta
7\. Austin
8\. Taupau
9\. Farah
10\. Woods
11\. Patterson
12\. Sironen
13\. Blair

14\. Thompson
15\. Koroibete
16\. Halatau
17\. Moses
18\. Gavet
19\. Rowe
20\. Fine.

Maybe 'Out of favour' was the wrong choice of phrase, but it would appear guys like Gavet, Taupau and Thompson have the jump on them at this stage right?

Also interesting to see Moses and Rowe in the top team.

I know what your getting at sabre…
I'll be heading out and am looking forward to my first look at Patterson, taupau and gavet up close.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

I suspect Potter knows what he'll get out of Ava and Buchanan so he's sending them to Alice Springs while having most of his main players in Camden with the opportunity to see Paterson, Taupau and others.

No Sausoe Sue? Injured? & I watched Potters video naming the squad he said established players like Braith Anastasia & Liam Fulton are playing v penrith.

may be reading too much into it, but from what i have read on here it looks as though the coaching staff are sending BMM a message…

Yeah Potter specifically mentioned Liam Fulton but he wasn't listed in the team?

Its a damn shame we aren't seeing Sue or Brooks in the team. I really really really want to see Brooks there game one to take on the Dragons

Players missing who have NRL profiles on official website:

Moltzen
Simona
Galloway
Sue
Brooks
Brown
Fulton

We had heard about injuries to most of them, but I have not heard about Fulton or Sue being injured.

Yeah, I hope that BMM is going to Alice to play plenty of minutes. Potter was quoted as saying "we've got some young guya going up who need some game time". Makes sense that he will get more time up in Alice that he would competing for minutes with other potential NRL players at Camden.

Wests Tigers on Twitter are saying about Brooks and Round 1, "we expect to see him there". Hopefully that means on the field.

Latest posts

Members online

Back