OFFICIAL Wests Tigers announce a further five NRLW players

Lauren

Staff member
Forum Leader

Wests Tigers announce a further five NRLW players​

Wests Tigers
Mon 10 Apr 2023, 03:40 PM

Share on social media​

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce the signing of a further five players ahead of the club’s inaugural NRLW season.

1681272396168.png

Najvada George, Rikeya Horne, Losana Lutu, Christian Pio, and Tess Staines are the latest additions to the 2023 squad and were presented to the crowd before kick-off of the Round 6 NRL match between Wests Tigers and Parramatta Eels.

1681272430809.png

Four of these players were members of Wests Tigers premiership-winning Harvey Norman Women’s team last year, and all five have played NRLW at other clubs.

1681272459990.png

They join Kezie Apps, Sarah Togatuki and Botille Vette-Welsh who were announced as Wests Tigers NRLW players last week.

Head Coach Brett Kimmorley is pleased with how his new squad is taking shape.

“I think it’s brilliant that we have been able to attract such quality players for our first season,” said Kimmorley.

These players bring a wealth of NRLW experience, and that’s crucial for us in year one.
Brett Kimmorley
“What is also important, is that most of these players have already
represented Wests Tigers, and so they know what we are about as a club.

“It’s coming together well, and we’ll be announcing further signings in the coming weeks.”

1681272513058.png
Najvada George in action this season©Shot of Guac

George, a middle forward, and former basketballer, moved to Sydney from Melbourne to join Wests Tigers in 2019. She is now in her fifth year with the club and was last season named player of the year in the premiership winning HNW team.

“Wests Tigers gave me an opportunity a few years ago, and it’s great that I can now represent our club in the NRLW,” said George.

This has been in the pipeline for some time, and we are all so excited to be Wests Tigers NRLW players.
Najvada George

1681272589560.png
Horne running out for North Sydney

Horne has played five seasons in the NRLW, making her debut with the Dragons in 2018, before shifting to the Eels. The 23-year-old outside back says she’s excited to be joining her new club.

“I’ve heard a lot of really good things about Wests Tigers and the club’s plans around growing the women’s game,” said Horne.

“I can’t wait to make the most of our training facilities at the Zurich Centre too. Stronger, fitter, faster…that’s the plan.”

1681272628759.png
Losana Lutu and Kezie Apps embrace after winning last year's HNW Premiership

Campbelltown junior, Lutu, is a five-eighth who was part of last year’s successful NSW Under 19s State of Origin team. The 18-year-old from Leumeah says there is now a clear path to the top for girls of all ages.

“I’ve played all my footy in Campbelltown growing up and so now to be able to represent Wests Tigers, is just amazing,” Lutu said.

“I want other young girls to see that there is a pathway to the NRLW, and you can do it from anywhere in Southwest Sydney.”

Pio is co-captain of Wests Tigers' 2023 HNW premiership team and has played two seasons with Parramatta in the NRLW. The 22-year-old St Clare Comets junior is excited to be a part of the club’s very first NRLW team.

“I started with Wests Tigers a few years ago but then went to the Eels to get an NRLW opportunity.

I’m stoked to be playing for the club in its first season and I want to set an example for other young girls in Sydney’s west.
Christian Pio
Staines says she is keen to repay the club which helped her springboard into the NRLW.

1681272716384.png
Tess Staines in action this season for Wests Tigers HNW team©Shot of Guac

The 21-year-old moved to Sydney from the Riverina in country NSW joining Wests Tigers Harvey Norman Women’s team a few years ago. Like Pio, Staines was also rewarded with an NRLW contract with the Eels.

“I owe a lot to Wests Tigers, they backed my ability and gave me my first playing opportunity in Sydney,” said Staines.

“It’s an unbelievable feeling to be trusted to pull on the first NRLW jersey for this club and I want to return the favour for everything they’ve done for me since moving from the country.”

One current Wests Tigers player who will not be a part of the inaugural NRLW side is Ash Werner. The former Aussie bobsledder has decided, for personal reasons, to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

Wests Tigers has today also launched its newest donor group, Women’s Champions, marking the club’s inaugural season in the NRLW.

The Women’s Champions donor group will allow Wests Tigers supporters to play an active role in the success of the club’s female athletes.

Wests Tigers will kick off its very first season in the new 10-team NRLW competition in July.

Back