Western Suburbs Magpies - Proposed Lidcombe Oval Long Term Lease

I never said solely. But if the Wests magpies sign a long term deal to play almost exclusively in the inner west then that defies the strategy of trying to increase our representation in the west.
Wests Ashfield and Wests Campbelltown need to find a way to work together

Got you BB, my bad. Yeah hopefully they're more
strategic in there planning. Honestly can't afford
to neglect one or the other, both form a part of
our unique identity. I'm glad both clubs merged
with one another out of every other club in the
league. We're a good fit for one another 4 sure.
WA & WC need to get on the same page agreed

in the ladder from nrl we are the only team always referred to as wests tigers when displaying by mascots
St george as example are dragons
would like wests tigers as reserve grade team maybe one day it will happen
however minor issues let's get the Tigers making semi finals first
Wonder why.

It wasn't always like that.

Mascots were a relatively late idea in RL.

As a nation we were based on the UK.....English soccer focuses more on team names.

This mascot idea and teams moving around comes from the States.

Now I know we are increasingly becoming a vassal state but can still do some things differently.

Last edited:
This club has a unique and delicate branding, and much sacrifice has been made and much inherited, can't go giving anything away, nor can we use templates from other clubs.

It's a big part of its appeal. The historical roots give it mystique.......and for business and branding point of view.......universality.

The vision for this club is really a genuine Sydney based foundation club JV stretching from the city past Camden. It can be argued we are the only true universal Sydney club.

If you give Leichhardt away you may get Easts and perhaps even Manly playing the odd game there and attracting sponsors. You may alienate former Balmain fans.

If you give the magpies traditional heartland from Ashfield to Lidcombe away you alienate former Wests fans there and lose sponsorship base and WA seems without base.

If you don't engage with Liverpool the Dogs will take it over.

And if you don't engage with Campbelltown you may even see Souths attending junior clinics.

For all this board talk recently, anyone here could be a director pretty much. But how to navigate this. Now that this has been distributed a more pragmatic business approach may endanger some of these tenuous links.

It's a footy club after all, and anything that detracts from passion while serving business expediency may ultimately affect the business itself.

Glad I won't be making the decision.

Now I know we are increasingly becoming a vassal state but can still do some things differently.

I like how you snuck that in MM haha

This club has a unique and delicate branding, and much sacrifice has been made and much inherited, can't go giving anything away, nor can we use templates from other clubs.

It's a big part of its appeal. The historical roots give it mystique.......and for business and branding point of view.......universality.

The vision for this club is really a genuine Sydney based foundation club JV stretching from the city past Camden. It can be argued we are the only true universal Sydney club.

If you give Leichhardt away you may get Easts and perhaps even Manly playing the odd game there and attracting sponsors. You may alienate former Balmain fans.

If you give the magpies traditional heartland from Ashfield to Lidcombe away you alienate former Wests fans there and lose sponsorship base and WA seems without base.

If you don't engage with Liverpool the Dogs will take it over.

And if you don't engage with Campbelltown you may even see Souths attending junior clinics.

For all this board talk recently, anyone here could be a director pretty much. But how to navigate this. Now that this has been distributed a more pragmatic business approach may endanger some of these tenuous links.

It's a footy club after all, and anything that detracts from passion while serving business expediency may ultimately affect the business itself.

Glad I won't be making the decision.

Well written.. That last paragraph too 🤌🏼

Wouldnt surprise me if sometime down the track we lose all these roots and we see totally different feeders for WTs
WM seem not interested at all, can see them going with Souths or Bulldogs possibly, who'd feed WTs...anyones guess
Things are all so fluid these days and it is more a business than a passion, tribalisms a thing of the past, local borders no longer exist
Nothing lasts forever

As the Wests Magpies name can never come back into the NRL as a stand-alone Team name :cry: [and that's been known for many years by a few people] in place of Wests Tigers, I reckon it's time for the Mighty Magpies to now get together with Wests Tigers and play all their matches as a lead into the main game being WT.

As much as I and many others would Love to see the Magpies name back, it aint gonna happen, that bridge has been closed.
The Magpies as owners of WT, deserve to have their Heritage preserved as Western Suburbs Magpies, but in Reserve Grade only.
Wests Magpies, get your act together and get the hell out of Lidcombe Oval and go and join in playing with the big boys.

Wests Tigers display a Magpie on the sleeve of their jersey, Wests Magpies can therefore display a similar size Tiger on their jersey.

With Richo now running the show, 2024 Has to Be the Start of a New and Successful Fully Unified Era for Wests Tigers.
Wow mate ! I’m really stoked you’ve finally seen the light . It shows real character to grow enough that you can allow your perspective to change . This has always been the way forward . The tiger just by the fact that it’s a more easily marketed mascot . Means Balmain will forever be mentioned with the wests tigers . The magpies being the lesser marketable brand definitely needs to be continued in some way or another . Even if the club does finally make it all one identity , have like a Wests day and a Balmain day . Even alternate them or something every year so it’s only one weekend . I dunno . But I’m really stoked you’re on board with this mate !

Reactions: BZN
Wonder why.

It wasn't always like that.

Mascots were a relatively late idea in RL.

As a nation we were based on the UK.....English soccer focuses more on team names.

This mascot idea and teams moving around comes from the States.

Wests and St George were two of the first to adopt unofficial mascots/nicknames in the late 1920's early 1930's, Wests adopted the Magpies and St George were the Blood and Bandages before later adopting the Dragons as a mascot.

Official mascots were a gradual progressive thing over the years with Easts being the last to adopt an official mascot of the Roosters as late as 1967, prior to that they were just referred to by the nickname the Tricolours.

The worst official name of the bunch was probably the Bulldogs when they were known as The Berries.

Blue bags was pretty crook too

Wests were originally known as the Cherry Pickers or fruit pickers, until officially becoming the Magpies in the late 20s
Yes they were, the Ashfield - Burwood area was predominantly orchards and as players in the early days had be local many of them were fruit pickers, so hence the name.

The Balmain colours came about not from a tiger (garden variety tigers are actually black, orange and white) but from a variety of wattle tree that grew in abundance all around the Birchgove area, dark black trunks and branches with golden flowers.

Yes, bluebags was pretty crook.

in the ladder from nrl we are the only team always referred to as wests tigers when displaying by mascots
St george as example are dragons
would like wests tigers as reserve grade team maybe one day it will happen
however minor issues let's get the Tigers making semi finals first
Isn’t that because our name is Wests Tigers and not Wests, with a Tiger mascot?

Have to admit I’m confused by this. Haven’t the Magpies been calling for the use of the MacArthur region? If they stay at Lidcombe I don’t see how that achieves it.

Who said Wests Tigers' vision includes being
solely based in Campbelltown? We're Wests
Tigers - that happens to include the inner west
as well as south west. KOE cup reserve grade
side needs to play under the Wests Tigers name,
but I get the sense they want to appease the
Magpies die-hards as a token gesture, giving
them a team to support based at their spiritual
ground in Lidcombe. I don't think it's smart but
I understand it to a degree. We're lucky to have
2 teams in junior grades both Balmain & Wests.
It can be argued we should unify all grades under
the Wests Tigers banner but by doing that we
could lose a fair bit of talent as well. I dunno
Ok guys, question without notice.
Weighing up all factors, and assuming no hassles in making it happen, would you go for LO and Lidcombe ( renovated of course) as our 2 grounds ???
Or LO and CS ?
Or CS ?
Or LO ?
I’d feel much more comfy, and authentic, in using Lidcombe, irrespective of COE at Leumeah !

Ok guys, question without notice.
Weighing up all factors, and assuming no hassles in making it happen, would you go for LO and Lidcombe ( renovated of course) as our 2 grounds ???
Or LO and CS ?
Or CS ?
Or LO ?
I’d feel much more comfy, and authentic, in using Lidcombe, irrespective of COE at Leumeah !
If we did use LO and Lidcombe as home grounds it’s basically giving up on the MacArthur region. Another club could swoop in on that area should we leave.

If we did use LO and Lidcombe as home grounds it’s basically giving up on the MacArthur region. Another club could swoop in on that area should we leave.
Not necessarily, we could retain our pathways/junior focus in MacArthur but utilise Lidcombe and LO as more appropriate grounds from a marketing perspective ( coz they are the 2 spiritual homes of Wests and Balmain respectively).
Hey, I’m just spitballing here Glen and looking at another option that’s basically been ignored.

we are tigers there are sharks dolphins dragons Roosters etc
take a look at the nrl ladder all in name via mascot except us we are wests tigers

we are tigers there are sharks dolphins dragons Roosters etc
take a look at the nrl ladder all in name via mascot except us we are wests tigers
Isn’t that because of the merger ? We are actually Magpies and Tigers combined but Tigers has more teeth ( pardon the pun) from a marketing perspective.
Like Dragons v Steelers but whilst they are the Dragons, they still play at 2 spiritual homes ( Gong and Kogarah).
CS is not a spiritual home, is it ?

Yes, if you are going to call them by club name and mascot we are the Wests Tigers Tigers, like St George Illawarra Dragons, Melbourne Storm (not sure why so many on social media refer to them as Melbourne Storms 🤔), Penrith Panthers and so on.

Isn’t that because of the merger ? We are actually Magpies and Tigers combined but Tigers has more teeth ( pardon the pun) from a marketing perspective.
Like Dragons v Steelers but whilst they are the Dragons, they still play at 2 spiritual homes ( Gong and Kogarah).
CS is not a spiritual home, is it ?
St george are listed as dragons
just can't work out why we are wests tigers and not tigers on the official nrl ladder if onpy mascots being referenced.

Members online

Back