Vale Carl Webb

One of my all time favourite Origin moments involved Carl Webb. It was Game 2 in 2000. The last game at the old Lang Park. During the 2nd half, Queensland were starting to run away with it, primarily due to Webb and John Doyle. John Doyle was an amazingly talented player whose knees gave out on him and had to retire at 25. Anyway at some point in the second half, when Qld were starting to run amok. I think Doyle scored a try and set up one, and then Webb scored a barnstoming try. Highlighted by Rabs call of it “THE COWBOYS, THE COWBOYS!!! THEY’VE DONE IT!!”. You might wonder what the big deal is now. Back then in 2000, the Cowboys were still in the stage where they were cellar dwellers. They received little to no attention or recognition. Barely ever had a FTR game. So to hear Rabs screaming that actually sent shivers up my spine. Was a great moment.

Takes a special person to set up a foundation to potentially help others suffering mnd sometime in the future knowing there is very little that can be done to help yourself.

Rest In Peace.

Back