This Forum Endorses #KeepBenji

@bigsiro said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230480) said:
@innsaneink said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230475) said:
There's no forum without members, and it looks like the members have spoken

We do not endorse #keepbunji

Yep. @Kul I'm afraid this backfired.
The same can't be said of those facebook petitions.

Unlike the online petitions this forum is about members and the ones that support the club as diehards, rather than come out when the club is going great and jump on the band wagon.

So it’s clear to see that most support the club in there decision rather than the individual with there own agenda.

There is a few that would keep him on a minimum contract but also note that he could be decisive to the club via media interests.

We need to support the coach in his resolve to make this team better it starts with making hard decisions which others have not had the balks to do in the past.

We can only review what happens next season, hopefully a few key signings come off to make us a stronger club moving forward.

Forum conclusion - You can holler for a Marshall but the battery is dead.

We better be careful ...Benji might dis-endorse us

Are we running for a Senate set next Federal election

I get that he overcooked that kick. He could have waited until the last tackle, but Souths would have been sweating on and ready for it, so he did what the the opposition didn't expect by kicking early. Doing the unexpected is something he has done throughout his career, leading to many thrilling moments. It's also easy to forget that his clever play led to 3 tries, which brought the Tigers back into the contest.

@innsaneink said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230475) said:
There's no forum without members, and it looks like the members have spoken

We do not endorse #keepbunji

Yep was thinking this as well. Can we change the tread title to reflect the forum members

@TrueTiger said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230425) said:
@cochise said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230411) said:
@TrueTiger said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230405) said:
The glaring truth is that Benji should honestly evaluate his own playing performance when considering his future...he should say to himself ''I have done plenty for this game and now want to devote my time to my family"...retirement is the go...sit back,grab a beer cuddle your kids while watching a game on tv and say "" kids Ive been there done that"" and have a swig of beer...

I really understand the reluctance to retire, I found it very difficult to retire and would do anything for one more season, even now at 41. I have found it very difficult to replace that feeling of getting ready for a game, going out to play, and the feeling with your mates after a game. The beer never tastes as sweet as that first one after a game. Add to it sometimes a player just doesn't see when their form has dropped, it is invisible to some and I believe it is invisible to Benji.

I can see all your points cochise,however we are talking about the tough,fast,competative comp in the world...Benji is fading and he is best to retire before he is obliviated...

Mate I agree, the problem is he probably has people around him telling him that he still has it. If you listened to the ch9 commentary on Thursday night they were all telling him he still has it. Apparently Bennett told him the same thing. When you are desperate to keep that feeling of playing you will listen to those who tell you what you want to hear. That feeling can become like a drug and at the age of 36 you have to give up all you have ever known. It can be an incredibly hard decision and is why many players suffer from depression after retirement.

1. “Walking on eggshells”
2. Packer and Jrey leaving at half time
3. Various hit jobs from News limited journo’s (Crawley, Buzz, Pitt, Hooper)

Stories that can only come from the inner sanctum and came after Benji found out “in the Paper” the he didn’t have a contract for next year.

Coincidence?

@851 said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230491) said:
@twentyforty said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230461) said:
@851 said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230455) said:
@Kul I love what you have to with the forum over the years, but I can't agree with any of what you said, a 33, 34 and 35 year old Benji didn't get us in the 8, a 36 year old Benji will not get us close to the 8.
Treasure your memories of 2005, 2010 and 2011, but Benji lost his gloss in his first stint at the club, and that gloss is beyond buffing now, time to get a new ornament mate.

Have to agree. It’s had a few coats of Maguire’s.

I like what you did there

Yeah ironic that our best two coaches working hard to make the team shine have polishes named after them. What can be said about Taylor, Potter and Cleary? Well at least Cleary thinks we should give him a contract. ?

@Wests_Tony said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230496) said:
I get that he overcooked that kick. He could have waited until the last tackle, but Souths would have been sweating on and ready for it, so he did what the the opposition didn't expect by kicking early. Doing the unexpected is something he has done throughout his career, leading to many thrilling moments. It's also easy to forget that his clever play led to 3 tries, which brought the Tigers back into the contest.

Minus the two that he let in.

I hope you are not counting his flick pass as one of the tries. Cause that wasn't his try.

@Russell said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230505) said:

I hope you are not counting his flick pass as one of the tries. Cause that wasn't his try.

He got lucky on that play. Ran all of his outside men out of room, put a bad kick in got lucky with the rebound and handed it to Nofa who did all the work

Of course all people see is the flick pass though lol

I would love Benji to stay , he is not only a champion , and this club does not have th

Sorry don’t know what happen there , and this club does not have to many champions to call on so let the bloke play on .

@Russell said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230505) said:

That flick pass only had to happen because he stuffed the kick and he had no other choice as he was wedged against the sideline. Thank goodness Nofoaluma had the vision to get us a try there

I get all the sentiment but seriously... can we grow up? This is a professional sporting club not a boys club.

People are saying we are doing him dirty as he should retire a tiger. Well two years ago he and Farah decided to put out that 'one last year' marketing video... that was two years ago!! We gave him his shot to retire a tiger. We gave him two shots.

Say we re-sign him one year and his form is exactly the same and he decides he can go around one more again, but a new talented half appears on the market. What do we do? Get the new half? or because Benji is a tigers legend force to resign him and play again??

He is a game changer in his prime and our greatest ever player. But that was 10 years ago. He has lead us as our primary playmaker to 3 finals appearances, the last one 9 years ago. We resign him and we're just doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Respect his contribution but move on.

I can respect your place on this @Kul and don't feel the need to rehash every fault of Benji's - or any historical cultural issues.
I have no problem stating that if Packer and Reynolds were gone, I'd like to keep him too.
That I also wouldn't mind seeing him lead our Canterbury Cup team and impart his footy knowledge to the next generation of WT Players.
He's still capable of putting on a clinic and were it not for his speed and agility, he'd be great quality for us(and the NRL) next year.
However, the reality is that we're a team that's (re)building and the club is trying to achieve stability across all facets. The mentioned players aren't going and we just need to keep moving forward.
We need to stop clinging on to past success and create future success.
The club's biggest issue includes stagnation in it's development - with major retention and recruitment blunders - through lack of direction and leadership.

We're now executing a course that will help secure the club's vision, but support and cooperation to Madge's plans are central to fulfilling this.
But to go down that road totally undoes this.

@bptiger said in [Our Forum Endorses \#KeepBenji](/post/1230511) said:
Sorry don’t know what happen there , and this club does not have to many champions to call on so let the bloke play on .

Pearce was cut from the Roosters even after delivering them a premiership because the club is constantly looking forward and improving. You could argue what they did to him for a player in his prime was much worse than not re-signing a 36 yer old.

After back to back premierships (with a possible 3rd) do you think any of the Roosters fans even think about Pearce anymore?

Successful clubs take emotion out of it make tough decisions for the better of the club.

We actually need benji. He needs to be our positive voice in the media. Could change alot of the narratives against us.

His intention to play on is a decision based on $$$ and not on form.

The fact that it has now caused a schism amongst the public is disappointing and proving to be an unwarranted distraction.

Benji must be the luckiest player to ever play the game according to some ,14 years of playing many different coaches at the tigers not to mention dragons broncos and NZ captain. I don’t know what any of those coaches saw in him ,I wish I could be so lucky.
That last kick hopeless being 20 points down after 20 mins how could he let that happen.

Latest posts

Back