Terrible ref

GNR4LIFE?

I haven’t even watched the game yet so have no opinion.

But do you think her refereeing was up to the “average” standard of NRL refs?
If so fine.

If not, should she be officiating in a first grade game this weekend?

Not sure if you missed this GNR4LIFE, but it’s a straightforward question?

Not sure if you missed this GNR4LIFE, but it’s a straightforward question?
Sorry mate, you never quoted or tagged me, so I never even seen it. She was probably out of her depth, which is fine. She wasn’t the first and won’t be the last.

The refs have put out a statement today and it says you are not allowed to engage in debate with a referee. We literally have a captains challenge system in our game you total imbeciles. Can we get any more morons in there?

The refs have put out a statement today and it says you are not allowed to engage in debate with a referee. We literally have a captains challenge system in our game you total imbeciles. Can we get any more morons in there?
And the best/ highest profile players in the game do the most yapping at the ref but they tend to make an example of lesser players.
All they had to do was acknowledge that Casey is an emerging ref and that they would support her to address some of the weaknesses from her last performance and most rational people would accept that. Instead all onus for her poor performance has been lumped on the players and there will be even more scrutiny on her role this week. Terrible leadership from the referees.

Well said BF.

Cynical me says if the tigers have one of the bigger supporter bases and the tigers games have good TV ratings then why would they intentionally disadvantage us? The way I see it, you get good calls and bad calls. They even out in the end.
I don’t reckon they even out, I still reckon we get shafted, but we just gotta accept it as part of every game and overcome it. I’ve said it before but we need to be better at all the things that take no talent, discipline has gotta be top of the list, fitness, recovery, concentration, knowledge of the rule book, turning up on time, etc. The least talented footballer (say Flippers), could be the best at the club at those things I’ve listed. Good players make their own luck, the better you play, the luckier you get.

The NRL as always are re directing the spotlight off their own short comings and redirecting them at the clubs, players and fan.

Yes the officals need protection from abuse even when they have a bad day, but the NRL have to take ownership of a major problem they have with the inconsistent manner games are referred. The same teams are getting the rough end of the pineapple week in and week out and zero is being done about it.

The NRL have zero competition so as a organisation they can do as they please. Maybe it’s time for another super league war and than they might start looking at their problems

The issue is the redefinition of the word “equality”.
“Equality”no longer means equality , corporately. Social justice warriors have blurred the lines now , so everyone is wary of any criticism.
It would really suck IMO if you were an advocate for civil rights 30-40 years ago , and just simply wanted to be treated fairly and equitable , for it to turn into what is now a mockery of that original idea . Many of the new constructs around this are written by the very people who would have been viewed the “oppressors ” half a century ago .
A lot of the time it’s viewed as disingenuous and patronising , because you know ……. It is .
And it sucks because you have Sharpe over there doing a good job , just plugging away , and fully deserving of her opportunity and embracing it . But has Casey Badger seriously put in an nrl standard performance yet in the years she’s been given the green light ?
And if not ? Then why is she in the nrl ?
I personally , honestly , want her to succeed . I don’t see any reason why she can’t be a success in the nrl , but here’s the thing , she will NEVER EVER succeed , if she continues to put in these performances for no accountability .
It will lead to contempt from both the players and other officials within the game … which will breed resentment and ultimately give her zero chance of ever being in control of a game .
There’s a baseball umpire in the MLB who was originally a diversity hire , for lack of a better word , due to being Hispanic .
He is literally the worst umpire to ever call a game of MLB , and many of the all in brawls and really bad situations recently in the last 10-15 years have been directly from his disgraceful umpiring .
And yes he was a pioneer at the time , a time long since passed , due to the fact that most of MLB is littered with Hispanic people in various jobs ,where words like diversity no longer need to be used , but man … if the MLB had thier time again there’s no chance in hell they’d pick that bum to be the first through the door .
I feel that’s the path Casey could be on ….
Revenge discrimination. Seems to be the way things are going.

I'm only guessing but if someone compiled one of those lists
"20 greatest referee howlers of the last 5 years "
I think Wests Tigers would probably top the list with about 8 or more of them
The famous Cowboys penalty after full time would top the list
Seem to remember the ref "ziggy" ruling no try and not going to bunker for what was actually a perfect put down ..Memory a little vague but think it vs Titans ?
Just think clubs "bottom feeding " with that loser reputation will get rough end of the stick
Eg When you win 3 captains calls like last Saturday would indicate calls made on suspicion as opposed to ref actually seeing it with their own eyes .
With the new warning from the NRL about arguing with the ref we had better be careful more so than the elite players like Cleary need be .
Still Solution start winning many games make the 8 etc and we will get better calls

I'm only guessing but if someone compiled one of those lists
"20 greatest referee howlers of the last 5 years "
I think Wests Tigers would probably top the list with about 8 or more of them
The famous Cowboys penalty after full time would top the list
Seem to remember the ref "ziggy" ruling no try and not going to bunker for what was actually a perfect put down ..Memory a little vague but think it vs Titans ?
Just think clubs "bottom feeding " with that loser reputation will get rough end of the stick
Eg When you win 3 captains calls like last Saturday would indicate calls made on suspicion as opposed to ref actually seeing it with their own eyes .
With the new warning from the NRL about arguing with the ref we had better be careful more so than the elite players like Cleary need be .
Still Solution start winning many games make the 8 etc and we will get better calls
What about the touchy that missed the best knock on in history while staring straight at it. What else did that goose miss that wasn't so blatant. Forward passes? 10 metres? Annesley should just go and knock that bloke straight out but instead, he chooses to ignore it. And bunker decisions on disruptors and put downs.... how can anyone have any confidence in officiating?

Bad talk, take a walk: NRL warns clubs over ref abuse​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

May 8, 2024 — 11.24am

NRL officials will take a harder line against player dissent from Thursday to ensure the ugly scenes that marred some of last weekend’s games aren’t repeated.
Head office will officially alert clubs of the stance on Wednesday, reminding them that any disrespect shown towards match officials will not be tolerated. Referee Kasey Badger has been criticised for her handling of the Bulldogs’ 22-14 win over Wests Tigers, a fiery contest in which she sent two players to the sin bin.

One of them was David Klemmer, for showing dissent towards her. Klemmer and Badger have received criticism on social media; Klemmer for pushing the boundaries with the referee, and Badger for being unable to exert her authority on a wild affair.

Some of the pile on against Badger – who has had to disconnect from social media at times – was of a sexist nature. She has retained her place in first grade and will officiate the Roosters-Warriors fixture.

NRL head of elite competitions Graham Annesley said the clubs will be warned that harsher action will be taken in round 10 if match officials aren’t shown an appropriate level of respect.

“Clubs and players will be reminded that there needs to be a level of respect shown towards match officials,” Annesley said.

“To be fair, there generally is, but on the odd
occasion that a player oversteps the mark, they have to expect that there may be repercussions.

Tigers forward David Klemmer remonstrates with referee Kasey Badger.

Tigers forward David Klemmer remonstrates with referee Kasey Badger.CREDIT:NRL IMAGES

“The referees would prefer not to take any action, they would much prefer it didn’t happen in the first place. However, in cases where players do overstep the mark, the referees have a number of options open to them. That can include warnings, penalties, getting marched 10 metres and being sin binned.

“I’m not saying there will be a raft of that happening across the weekend, but it is ultimately in the hands of the players. If the players don’t push the envelope, there will be no need for the referees to react.”

Earlier in the week, Annesley said the interactions with Badger were “not a gender issue”, instead imploring players to show a greater level of respect generally towards match officials.

The Tigers had three decisions overturned via captain’s challenges, while Aidan Sezer was not sent to the sin bin for a tackle on Josh Curran that drew a grade-three dangerous contact charge from the match review panel and a four-game ban.

Jared Maxwell, the NRL’s general manager of elite officiating, is expected to contact clubs on Wednesday to remind players of their obligations.

“The referees have to set the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, and they will be supported 100 per cent by the NRL if they set that line in the sand and they ensure those standards are upheld,” Annesley said.
What an absolute piss poor take on this by the wankers at HQ. I guess we now know they have the type of character to blame the girl for wearing a miniskirt.

Badger refed like shit and should be dragged over the coals for it rightfully so. What a refreshing take it would have been for the knobs to come out and own the situation. Yes, she refed like shit, yes shes been dropped for a few weeks. yes she was way below NRL standard and the quality of what we expect from our 1st grade refs. Yet, instead somehow its the players that got refed like shit to are to blame. With clowns like Graham Anally no wonder people are getting pissed off in droves at the state of the game at the moment.

What an absolute piss poor take on this by the wankers at HQ. I guess we now know they have the type of character to blame the girl for wearing a miniskirt.

Badger refed like shit and should be dragged over the coals for it rightfully so. What a refreshing take it would have been for the knobs to come out and own the situation. Yes, she refed like shit, yes shes been dropped for a few weeks. yes she was way below NRL standard and the quality of what we expect from our 1st grade refs. Yet, instead somehow its the players that got refed like shit to are to blame. With clowns like Graham Anally no wonder people are getting pissed off in droves at the state of the game at the moment.
She had a shit game and so did the touchies. Admit it why don't they?

It’s not as though she is a novice. Been reffing since 2012 and getting tips from Gavin.

Maybe if the NRL stopped farqin around with the rules at the start of each year everyone would be on top of things in that regard and it might lead to a bit less frustration
I know they are two distinct issues and probably no issue for players with a coach in top of things.... But I find it bloody frustrating year after year after year

I'm incredibly frustrated this has gone down the path of sexism and it's pulling our club through the mud. From what I can see, none of our players said or did anything sexist. Just some idiot fans.

The team were frustrated with horrible referring. That's it. The NRL has no ability for self reflection.

Back