Sironen

hybrid_tiger

For as long as I can remember, this guy has been talked up as a future superstar.

He'll play for Australia, they said. He will be a great player, they said. He'll play Origin, they said.

Has there been a more hyped player in the last decade? For all the hype, he has been abysmal. No impact in attack or defence, easily dominated, doesn't strike any sort of fear into the opposition.

A good lesson for all who pin their hopes on junior stars. It means nothing until they do it in first grade.

I feel at this club only he will get the latitude that could.be detrimental to his development.
He dominated as a kid…In good teams and his size played a huge role...has the burden of his dad's name...I think he's had more pressure than most...He is the epitome of the kid thrown in too.soon at a club that focuses only on juniors

_Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3_

I feel for him a bit. He was turned into a second rower despite never playing it in his life. Second rowers aren't what they were 20 years ago. The edge forward is now a very specialized position.

We have to remember he has played 5/8 his whole life. He is used to getting the ball deep, wide, being allowed to think and have runners either side. He might run, pass or kick so the defence holds off him.

As an edge forward and particuRly how Taylor is using him he only ever gets the ball 1m from the line. The defence knows exactly what he's doing and he isn't that good a line runner. Andrew johns said a few weeks ago he should be getting early ball and playing like a Glenn Stewart, I totally agree. Playing him in a Ryan Hoffman type role like we are is ridiculous, he isn't suited to that style and will never be effective.

I 100% agree he has been massivley dissapointing, I'd drop him to the bench. However I don't believe it is all his own doing.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

For someone who was played as a 5/8 in the juniors he has poor hands. At least one drop ball each game, and generally when were attacking

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

Being forced to play big minutes and at this stage of his career has not got the motor.Put him in a team like the Storm and use him as a impact player he would probably go okay,but at present like most of our players he has hit the wall and is going backwards

I don't think we use our edge backrowers effectively, particularly close to the line. I think Sirro will come good, but under our current structure, he doesn't get a huge amount of ball. defensively he's alright but he's not a big hitter like his old man was.

I actually think he has been one of our best this yr and last night. Whenever he has the ball makes strong meters after contact, he hits harder in defence and to the point where teams aim thier attack the other side despit brooks being out there , he drops the occasional ball but he is getting it on the gain line so always under pressure. Has broken tackles and looked dangerous as Johns said needs a bit more deeper ball and started to get a bit more once Brooks moved into hooker last night so hopefully he will keep seeing more

I've tried my hardest to give him a go this yr, and not be so hard on him, but watching him last night, it just confirmed for me why i've never rated him. He's the definition of a plodder who suffers a serious case of feet for hands at times. If you were to look at some of the best young back rowers this club has had come through, idk how you'd rank him in the top 10\. Dwyer looked 10 times the player he did before his injury.

@GNR4LIFE said:
I've tried my hardest to give him a go this yr, and not be so hard on him, but watching him last night, it just confirmed for me why i've never rated him. He's the definition of a plodder who suffers a serious case of feet for hands at times. If you were to look at some of the best young back rowers this club has had come through, idk how you'd rank him in the top 10\. Dwyer looked 10 times the player he did before his injury.

How many years did Dwyer play in the backs?

How many years dis he play in back row?

Might have something to do with it.

@hybrid_tiger said:
For as long as I can remember, this guy has been talked up as a future superstar.

He'll play for Australia, they said. He will be a great player, they said. He'll play Origin, they said.

Has there been a more hyped player in the last decade? For all the hype, he has been abysmal. No impact in attack or defence, easily dominated, doesn't strike any sort of fear into the opposition.

A good lesson for all who pin their hopes on junior stars. It means nothing until they do it in first grade.

What do you think of him otherwise?

@Russell said:
@GNR4LIFE said:

How many years did Dwyer play in the backs?

How many years dis he play in back row?

Might have something to do with it.

It could. Or maybe, Siro is just a plodder. First he was always injured, and never had a pre-season, that's the excuse people were using for him. They can't use that anymore, so now it's he's playing out of position. What will be the next excuse when this one runs its course?

@fergiefurr said:
I 100% agree he has been massivley dissapointing, I'd drop him to the bench. However I don't believe it is all his own doing.

I think he is another example of extremely poor coaching.

He stuttered a couple of times in SH last night approaching line when half a chance on.
Hard to work out what his role in team is.

@stevetiger said:
@fergiefurr said:

I think he is another example of extremely poor coaching.

Agreed…..he should be played as a wide running, ball playing big man.

Not a hole running battering ram.

He has skills and we are not using them at all.

I just dont get it.....JT has me scratching my head!

Last night he was poor, but so far this season he has been fine. Much more application to defence and running better lines. It's fair for him to cop criticism over last night's game and also for his ball handling which has been down this year, but it's unfair to bag him entirely. He is the first backrower picked on form this year for mine. Might not say much about our backrow, but he has been our best edge player.

You know City vs Country is a Mickey Mouse game when Sironen gets picked as a starting 2nd Rower for City.
Work that one out?

Latest posts

Back