Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Naden has plenty of natural talent, but it seems when he loses confidence such as missing an easy one on one tackle, dropping the ball or running over the sideline, it snowballs and just goes from bad to worse.
At his age and experience it’s unlikely he can overcome this problem.
I’m tipping Benji will give him a chance to redeem himself this weekend, you would have to think if we see another disaster of a game such as last weekend, we would have to come to the conclusion that it’s not going to benefit us moving forward.

The club won't go out & sign a massive amount of new players because they want to ensure there is a path for the juniors coming through.

Miller, Fa'agutu, Lualili'i x 2, Makasini, Mason, Latu Fainu, Sukkar- these guys, while not 'ready', are not going to have new players put in front of them now, only to hold back their path.

So it's a balance of depth, expectation & immediate results that would be incredibly difficult to manage at this stage.

Luai & Turuva at the probable expense of Sezar & someone like Alaimalo.

A decision on if Doueihi is part of the squad. While he has MANY detractors on here, at worst he offers a 1st grade level outside back option. At best- he's a starting player & solid improvement on Naden etc.

A fringe reserve forward or two could be removed to bring in some rotational depth from outside. I don't think it's starting quality forwards required. But players that offer something different to Twal & Seyfarth. Thomas Mikaele for mine, is a good, cheap option to fill that kind of role.

I don't know where too many more additional signings fit, without holding back guys the club expects to be a part of the playing group soon.

When the club has DEPTH of the likes of Faataape, Naden, Staines, Seyfarth, Twal, Mikaele instead of these guys being part of the starting squad- then we are in position to start taking advantage of our junior development.
I think you're on the money @The Chad about not recruiting from outside which blocks pathways.

I think Benji is giving as much opportunity as he can to our current contracted players so players feel they have his trust & faith.

In the back of his head, I reckon he wants to see Twal & Seyfarth own their positions as well as T'oa & Naden. If more of the same continues, I could see one of each duo moved on. Someone like a Royce Hunt would then be a good option as an experienced impact middle off the bench and someone who could mentor Jordan Miller.

We need to insert clauses in his contract that he must meet eg. run metres, tackles, rep. selection, top 8 in NRL etc. or whatever; before he is eligible to get the dollars he thinks he is worth.
Not top dollar and relying on him to perform. His efforts fall short on most game days of late.
He needs hard and fast incentives to active his effort displays. Less take home money if they are not met.
Why would he sign a contract with clauses that aren't to his benefit ?

I have said on numerous occasions over the past few years, and on the odd occasions had me head bitten off, that Naden is like Melbourne weather, you never know what you’re going to get. Sadly the good days are not as regular as the bad days. In saying that what options do we really have, given our attack is so poor.

I personally would give Casey a go, no world beater in attack, but solid as a rock in defence and has a football brain. One thing for sure, against the Dolphins we will have to be strong in defence in the outside backs

I have said on numerous occasions over the past few years, and on the odd occasions had me head bitten off, that Naden is like Melbourne weather, you never know what you’re going to get. Sadly the good days are not as regular as the bad days. In saying that what options do we really have, given our attack is so poor.

I personally would give Casey a go, no world beater in attack, but solid as a rock in defence and has a football brain. One thing for sure, against the Dolphins we will have to be strong in defence in the outside backs
Benji is on a hiding to nothing whether he selects Naden or not. People will lose their minds if he picks him and yet there is no guarantee that anyone else he picks in his place will not be shown up by the speedy Dolphins backline. The joys of coaching a wooden spoon squad starting to rear it's ugly head.

Actually the saifiti brothers both get more, and frizzel on about the same. So um yeah...
Well, I saw we were paying Steph Nine hundred thousand, so you are saying Saifiti Brothers get more than that, and Frizzel about the same, so for 4 players including Ponga about 4.5 mil maybe. And we can't afford anymore players.

That's the strategy but it's like banking on Phar Lap's colt bring like Phar Lap. We're relying on potentiaI, not actual ability.
I'd prefer we recruit to get to the point where 1st grade is strong while developing juniors; and like Penrith we are discarding the chaff to places like us.
I tend to agree. The imports set the level of the bar! If the juniors are good enough, they will overcome these imports. They will know exactly what they need to do to oust them.

We are talking of young hopefuls in their early 20's expecting to earn half a million dollars a year and not work their arse off to get it? In a job they love!

Reality is if they feel they are good enough and want to set themselves up [and family] for life they must make sacrifices and knuckle down to overcome the obstacles put in front of them. Unfortunately it may be at another club, so we really need to be able to identify and retain the best.
This is where our board, management and coaches must show their best strengths and judgement.

Point proven.. he's on nowhere near 900k. The only 900k figure is what his management has said he would like.

Edit: it's like chinese whispers on here sometimes. Originally it was 1 article saying it was "hard to get info but we are hearing he wants 900k" and now it's turned into people thinking thats what he is on.

The club won't go out & sign a massive amount of new players because they want to ensure there is a path for the juniors coming through.

Miller, Fa'agutu, Lualili'i x 2, Makasini, Mason, Latu Fainu, Sukkar- these guys, while not 'ready', are not going to have new players put in front of them now, only to hold back their path.

So it's a balance of depth, expectation & immediate results that would be incredibly difficult to manage at this stage.

Luai & Turuva at the probable expense of Sezar & someone like Alaimalo.

A decision on if Doueihi is part of the squad. While he has MANY detractors on here, at worst he offers a 1st grade level outside back option. At best- he's a starting player & solid improvement on Naden etc.

A fringe reserve forward or two could be removed to bring in some rotational depth from outside. I don't think it's starting quality forwards required. But players that offer something different to Twal & Seyfarth. Thomas Mikaele for mine, is a good, cheap option to fill that kind of role.

I don't know where too many more additional signings fit, without holding back guys the club expects to be a part of the playing group soon.

When the club has DEPTH of the likes of Faataape, Naden, Staines, Seyfarth, Twal, Mikaele instead of these guys being part of the starting squad- then we are in position to start taking advantage of our junior development.
We shouldn't necessarily be blocking these players, but we also should in no way be gifting these players first grade spots as soon as they're 18 either. They need time to develop, to strengthen their bodies and no be thrown into the most inexperienced first grade side of all time.

Even adding solid nsw cup players (the Schiller, Skelton, Stonestreet types) increase the quality and competition within our squads. If we can sign origin level players without paying 500k more per year, great, if we can't then signing fringe players pushing really hard for first grade like the above means we're not blocking anyone, but not rushing anyone either. If the fringe players turn into good first grade players, great, if the juniors turn into superstars then they get promoted.

We currently don't have players of a suitable calibre to push our youngsters, or even to teach them anything. What on earth could Saukuru or Feledy learn from Naden, Toa or Staines? Absolutely nothing, other than to avoid the mistakes they made.

Angus Crichton won’t play for another NRL team. He’s been linked with Union anyway so I reckon there’s a strong chance he’ll go to Union. If he doesn’t they’ll find a way to keep him, he won’t play for another NRL team.

Looks like he's looking at options, who could imagine the shiny new toy signing would upset one of the form players in the comp in that position.

Well, I saw we were paying Steph Nine hundred thousand, so you are saying Saifiti Brothers get more than that, and Frizzel about the same, so for 4 players including Ponga about 4.5 mil maybe. And we can't afford anymore players.
He's not on that, he might get offered that much by a desperate club somewhere. He's currently on like 650k

It isn't like boxing, with "ring rust"

He's been doing it his whole life.
Team sport.
He knows the whack...

Starford played half a game in cup and was straight into first grade.

AD is coming back, up to him how strong he comes back though. He could really stand up in an area where we're lacking.
It's widely acknowledged it often takes almost 12 months post recovery to return to previous levels of form and confidence.

Having 3 ACLs means it could take him longer to hit his strides. Being fit enough to play a game is one thing, being fit and confident enough to attempt and execute all plays in attack and defence at top speed with impending collisions and split second decisions to be made is another beast entirely.

He was a very poor decision maker before, that won't have improved by not playing either. If anything he might try overplay his hand in order to impress and get a new contarct, when really he just needs to knuckle down and show the work ethic to make 30 tackles a game if needed, while also running at least 10 times. If he can do that to a high level he might get another NRL contract, as things stand he's nothing more than a fringe first grader.

Looks like he's looking at options, who could imagine the shiny new toy signing would upset one of the form players in the comp in that position.
You do have 2 second rowers on the field you know.

It may be the butchers who leave. I'd offer them both contracts for 2025 but as local juniors roosters know they'll be more reluctant to go and are probably counting on that. Sitili is already out the door.

Why would he sign a contract with clauses that aren't to his benefit ?
We signed his contract with get out clauses. Our stupidity.
Lets put him to a similar test. If he baulks then he is not the player we want.
But all negotiable, depends on the dollars offered, or does he just want a free ride? Go through the motions with just enough effort to not get dropped?

You do have 2 second rowers on the field you know.

It may be the butchers who leave. I'd offer them both contracts for 2025 but as local juniors roosters know they'll be more reluctant to go and are probably counting on that. Sitili is already out the door.
The article says he specifically wants to play on the left. It also came out last week Sitili is also on 650k. They aren't paying that much for 3 second rowers while also having Wong and both Butcher boys.

Reactions: 851
We signed his contract with get out clauses. Our stupidity.
Lets put him to a similar test. If he baulks then he is not the player we want.
But all negotiable, depends on the dollars offered, or does he just want a free ride? Go through the motions with just enough effort to not get dropped?

And who are you replacing him with if he leaves? It won’t be anyone better right?

Latest posts

Members online

Back