Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

You might be right JR but Conti has been playing 6 for Dogs Ball. They lost easily to Roosters in Rd 1 (Chooks put 30 on them in 2nd half). Had a 2-point win in Rd 2 vs Knights (much improved 2nd half) and a draw in Rd 3 against Penriff who blew the game (Pen 70% completion vs Dogs 55%. Pen 61% Possession vs Dogs 39%) Conti did score the try & kicked the goal to level the score at the death. Penrith missed 4 conversion attempts.

Mitchell Woods is the Dogs 7 and is their Captain so it might be a while before his natural 7 potential is realised.
that's a fair way to look at it, LT. for me personally just in his movements and his work either scoring or creating tries I think he looks very good. Woods is obviously the great white hope for the Dogs at 7, and rightly so, but I do think Conti will be a first grader.

And maybe it's because we have Alex Isdale, 2 years younger than Conti, & Ashton Large (hooker, could potentially be a half) coming through as well.
Isdale has been excellent to start this year's HM season. had some really nice moments with the ball in hand. I was concerned about him last year, but this year he has alleviated a number of those concerns, namely with his ballplaying.

he's an interesting one is Alex. has a lot of great strengths but there are things to work on. he's a player I watch with great interest every time I see him, mainly because I have no idea where his ceiling is.

Reactions: 851
Interesting to see Woodsy tip us for the spoon this season again. I can't see it happening. With a fresh style and new presence at the club, I think it will motivate the boys to play harder. I think the double spoons were a stale culture of not changing things and having toxic figures having too much power. I still think we finish bottom 3 tbh but I've got Raiders finishing last. Fogarty will be the most under pressure player in 2024, given Rapana, Whitehead and Papali'i are retiring joining Croker, and other than Tapine, the rest of the team are very inexperienced

I really hope we don’t go down the same road and give the C to Luai. Api is doing just fine.
Don't like the pressure it gives. Tom Dearden and Harry Grant too given captaincies I disagree with. Critta is a good leader but this might take away from his game. Api is a great captain and should remain so until he retires. After that, I imagine one of the senior boys by that stage (Luai, Utoikamanu, Bula) could become captain

Interesting to see Woodsy tip us for the spoon this season again. I can't see it happening. With a fresh style and new presence at the club, I think it will motivate the boys to play harder. I think the double spoons were a stale culture of not changing things and having toxic figures having too much power. I still think we finish bottom 3 tbh but I've got Raiders finishing last. Fogarty will be the most under pressure player in 2024, given Rapana, Whitehead and Papali'i are retiring joining Croker, and other than Tapine, the rest of the team are very inexperienced
Raiders won't finish last to much talent in that team

Raiders won't finish last to much talent in that team
I think after the Dragons they have one of the worst rosters. Don't have a fullback. Rapana is a winger and plays at FB. Xavier Savage has to be there or a new guy called Chevy Stewart. Rookie 5/8 in Kaeo Weekes. Fogarty with all the pressure on him. Woolford/Levi hooker not too good. Spine out of 10 is a 4. Forward pack is ok with Tapine but Papali'i has regressed heaps. Hudson Young was consistent until origin last year then fell off a cliff. Other than that, they don't have a lot of talent. The biggest thing for me is their boys club culture. It's very similar to Dragons and successful teams don't have the old boys involved messing things up and doing only what they want (similar to how Benny Elias is here). I also think Manly might finish near the bottom and that's not because I think Brooks will fail, but mainly because I think DCE won't be able to replicate his great 2023 season and Seibs is a fraud

I think after the Dragons they have one of the worst rosters. Don't have a fullback. Rapana is a winger and plays at FB. Xavier Savage has to be there or a new guy called Chevy Stewart. Rookie 5/8 in Kaeo Weekes. Fogarty with all the pressure on him. Woolford/Levi hooker not too good. Spine out of 10 is a 4. Forward pack is ok with Tapine but Papali'i has regressed heaps. Hudson Young was consistent until origin last year then fell off a cliff. Other than that, they don't have a lot of talent. The biggest thing for me is their boys club culture. It's very similar to Dragons and successful teams don't have the old boys involved messing things up and doing only what they want (similar to how Benny Elias is here). I also think Manly might finish near the bottom and that's not because I think Brooks will fail, but mainly because I think DCE won't be able to replicate his great 2023 season and Seibs is a fraud
manly as always hinges on turbo being fit, the addition of Brooks at 6 as opposed to Schuster or Jacob Arthur makes them a much better team than last year. Seibold however can't coach but if DCE and turbo stay fit they make the 8 easy and could grab 4th or 5th
agree with dragons finish last
think sharks might miss the 8

Interesting perspective. I have Manly top 6.

Tito reckons we shouldn’t be bothering with the following players and remove them immediately and let other kids have a crack as the following are lame:

- Toa
- Staines
- Kepaoa
- Tumeth
- Feledy
- Tupou

Sukkar intrigues me for some reason.
I see what Tito is saying, but I also wonder who he would utilise in lieu of;
Toa - Starting Right Centre
Staines - Starting Right Wing
Kepaoa - Small forward/Outside back utility
Tupou - Starting Left Wing

I also think Sukkar has got something...

I really hope (which may sound weird) that we play in the same style as our previous game. I hope for a better outcome but similar style. The way we played in the first 20-30 minutes was pretty good footy, patient, consistent and most importantly reliable (besides Tupou ofc). It’s when we lose our direction for e.g Api and Sezer where we look lost. Don’t really put to much value on trial games as all previous winnings tend to not amount to much but a decent win here will put us in good stead for the seasons start. In all honesty a landing of 10-14 would be a very good season in my opinion. Comparing to the teams that made the top 8, who will fall out and the bottom 8 who will rise, I just don’t think we have the roster right now to compete. Where do you think we’ll land?

I see what Tito is saying, but I also wonder who he would utilise in lieu of;
Toa - Starting Right Centre
Staines - Starting Right Wing
Kepaoa - Small forward/Outside back utility
Tupou - Starting Left Wing

I also think Sukkar has got something...
Sukkar does have something doesn’t he? And I’m not even Arab.

Ahem, I would replace the above oxygen thieves with:

Toa to Taafaape
Staines to Lobb
Kepaoa to Sukkar
Tupou to Alimalo

Interesting perspective. I have Manly top 6.
I'm backing Brooksy to have a really good season but I think their issues are quite deep. Culturally they have some issues. Bad coach. And they have too many players on big money. DCE (1.1 million). Turbo (1 mil), Jurbo (950K), Olakautu (850K for 6 years), Schuster (800K) and now Brooks on 700K

Toa to Taafaape
Staines to Lobb
Kepaoa to Sukkar
Tupou to Alimalo
Was it the first tackle of the second half against the Warriors Sukkar belted the guy?

Toa to Taafaape
Staines to Lobb
Kepaoa to Sukkar
Tupou to Alimalo
I agree with your Staines and Kepoa choices but I haven’t seen Alimalo play and I’m hoping Starford has a big season.

Back