Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’ve noticed Faatape’s name appear in the Qld Cup Team of the Week numerous times over the past 2 seasons, so he’s certainly got something to offer.
A bit concerning that we keep seeming to sign these shorter stockier players to our top 30 and Development list, rather than the tall, fast and athletic prototype of athlete that is generally more effective in the modern day game, but top quality players can cone in all shapes and sizes.

Good depth. Definately an upgrade for KOE.
To say he'll max out at reggies is loser talk
I live in Brisbane watch a lot of Q-Cup due to family members being heavily involved in Norths up here.

Solmona Fataape had a real breakout year last year. Quick enough to play on the wing but moved to the centres. By the end of the year he was the form centre in the league. Pretty sure he won best back and players player at East's awards night and good judges were surprised he didn't make the team of the year.

He has improved year on year at Easts, genuinely a player on the rise. Great use of the development contract imo. He is probably reserve grade standard right now, but if he continues his current growth rate who knows. He was viewed as having genuine first grade potential by coaches up here.

This is obviously one of the signings Richo was alluding to on the podcast the other day, can’t hurt to have a bit more depth in the backs. Our KOE side was pretty rubbish that needs some surgery too, worth a punt.

A bit concerning that we keep seeming to sign these shorter stockier players to our top 30 and Development list, rather than the tall, fast and athletic prototype of athlete that is generally more effective in the modern day game, but top quality players can cone in all shapes and sizes.
I share this concern. Both our development squads and players on development contracts we seem to have a hell of a lot of nuggety players. Most players, even halves and fullbacks, are at least 180cn today. Yet both laulilii boys, faagutu, mason, feledy etc are all smaller.
Size isn't everything but the average back these days is pushing 186cm and 93kgs. The days of Matt Utais domination are over, some will still make it, but it's a gamble. On a development contract it doesn't hurt to take a closer look though.
Signing a 23 year old reserve grader who's 177 and 93 is a risk. Too small for wing, but paired with a larger player on the wing may minimise his being targeted. Our juniors seems to be either 194cms + or under 180cm. Strange that we don't have these more average build players

So we chase & are close to landing Olam & then sign a guy to develop that runs with that similar wrecking ball style.

Sounds like a progression plan...

e days
I live in Brisbane watch a lot of Q-Cup due to family members being heavily involved in Norths up here.

Solmona Fataape had a real breakout year last year. Quick enough to play on the wing but moved to the centres. By the end of the year he was the form centre in the league. Pretty sure he won best back and players player at East's awards night and good judges were surprised he didn't make the team of the year.

He has improved year on year at Easts, genuinely a player on the rise. Great use of the development contract imo. He is probably reserve grade standard right now, but if he continues his current growth rate who knows. He was viewed as having genuine first grade potential by coaches up here.
He could be a real find.... Sounds promising and one to watch out for

100% correct. I have seen him play in q cup probably 4-5 times. He’s very good in attack, solid defence , strong as shit. Not your tall centre, but I think he’s a great pick up, richo would have seen him a lot with his easts tigers involvement. Richo was there ceo I believe for a period .
Playing in the strong QLD Cup competition rather than playing in U20s and NSW Cup may be an advantage. Richardson through his connection at Easts would be aware of his work ethic and talent. Being on an upwards trajectory in performances is a good sign for WTs.

Apologies if wrong thread but it is kind of a "suggestion" 🤔

I hate using social media but I want to keep up to date with post related to our amazing club and players. Could we start a social media thread and have those people who have the platforms post regular updates (screenshots) in there for everyone 🤷

Via Facebook.
Has anyone heard of the name?
📣💥💥💥NEHEMIAH WUATAI-DAVIS💥💥💥📣
Big Congratulations to Magpies Mackay Junior Rugby League Club & Magpies SRLFC Nehemiah on your contract ✍️ with WESTS TIGER NRL CLUB.
Nehemiah has started training yesterday in Sydney. Best of Luck from your Maggie’s family mate, both your Junior & Senior Maggie’s Clubs are proud of you⚫️⚪️⚫️🦅🏈
#proudpies #yourclub #oneclub #familyclub

Via Facebook.
Big Congratulations to Magpies Mackay Junior Rugby League Club & Magpies SRLFC Nehemiah on your contract ✍️ with WESTS TIGER NRL CLUB.
Nehemiah has started training yesterday in Sydney. Best of Luck from your Maggie’s family mate, both your Junior & Senior Maggie’s Clubs are proud of you⚫️⚪️⚫️🦅🏈
Aaron Payne getting some work done I believe.

Via Facebook.
Quick search of the name seems to show he was playing schoolboys in QLD last year. Most likely SG Ball Contract in 2024.

Via Facebook.
Hadn’t heard of him but looks like he’s a second rower who played for Mackay State High School in 2023.

So would be 17/18.

I share this concern. Both our development squads and players on development contracts we seem to have a hell of a lot of nuggety players. Most players, even halves and fullbacks, are at least 180cn today. Yet both laulilii boys, faagutu, mason, feledy etc are all smaller.
Size isn't everything but the average back these days is pushing 186cm and 93kgs. The days of Matt Utais domination are over, some will still make it, but it's a gamble. On a development contract it doesn't hurt to take a closer look though.
Signing a 23 year old reserve grader who's 177 and 93 is a risk. Too small for wing, but paired with a larger player on the wing may minimise his being targeted. Our juniors seems to be either 194cms + or under 180cm. Strange that we don't have these more average build players
Do a Google search and have a look at a 2023 highlights for a young Qld based centre named Mason Peut.
He’s the one we should be head hunting out of Qld, a star in the making and would likely be NRL ready real soon.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed Faatape’s name appear in the Qld Cup Team of the Week numerous times over the past 2 seasons, so he’s certainly got something to offer.
Smart move... cant give away penalties for tackling high if you cant reach, genius.

Smart move... cant give away penalties for tackling high if you cant reach, genius.
Fact is not many short stockily built players are super quick and often have many more weaknesses due to their lack of size, rather than strengths to overcome it.
Going back to Balmain Boy’s list, someone like Heath Mason has exceptional speed that doesn’t make his lack of height much of a problem.
I don’t mind the signing of Faatape on a Development Contract, his standout performances in Qld Cup have earned him the right to at least be given an opportunity to see how he keeps progressing at an NRL club, but he’s virtually a similar build, speed and similar style of player to Josh Feledy who is younger and similar in playing style to Justin Olam should we sign him.
Maybe ok to have one of those powerful nuggety players in our NRL starting line up, you could not have more than one of them as we need taller, athletic, lightning fast outside backs who can score length of the field or long range tries.

Last edited:
A bit concerning that we keep seeming to sign these shorter stockier players to our top 30 and Development list, rather than the tall, fast and athletic prototype of athlete that is generally more effective in the modern day game, but top quality players can cone in all shapes and size

he is good player … runs rings around toa, aj and anything we have in Reggie’s.

Via Facebook.
Talking to mate in Mackay - this kid has been playing A Grade at 17 for Maggies. His mum even coaches in women’s leagues up there as well. Cows and fins were also very keen. Good pick up tigers really hope he works out - young and being away from home .

Staff online

Members online

Back