Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Am I by no stretch questioning Luai as a footballer just to be clear. Hence why I agree with your point - I would not be throwing a tantrum if we signed him on this deal due to his talent and track record. I’d welcome him signing of course, yet at the same time not be overly frustrated if he didn’t.

The only thing I question is the responsibility we’re going to be offering him - giving him the team and the 7 jersey weighs massive risk especially when he has never showcased that before. The $4.5 million over 4 years isn’t chump change as well that’s serious money. However, due to his ability and our desperation I’d be willing to take the risk as I think he’s capable of doing that … am I 100% confident unfortunately not.

I only mention Fainu, Sullivan and Galvin as I do believe one of them will be an elite 7 in this game and it won’t be too too long until they show glimpses of that soon.
Already our team is light years ahead of where it was this time last year… let’s be honest we played the entire 2023 without a half and still competed in most games…
Can’t wait to see what these 3 can do 💪

Am I by no stretch questioning Luai as a footballer just to be clear. Hence why I agree with your point - I would not be throwing a tantrum if we signed him on this deal due to his talent and track record. I’d welcome him signing of course, yet at the same time not be overly frustrated if he didn’t.

The only thing I question is the responsibility we’re going to be offering him - giving him the team and the 7 jersey weighs massive risk especially when he has never showcased that before. The $4.5 million over 4 years isn’t chump change as well that’s serious money. However, due to his ability and our desperation I’d be willing to take the risk as I think he’s capable of doing that … am I 100% confident unfortunately not.

I only mention Fainu, Sullivan and Galvin as I do believe one of them will be an elite 7 in this game and it won’t be too too long until they show glimpses of that soon.
I definitely get where you're coming from in terms of not being too fussed either way. I'm in a similar boat. obviously though I do think we're doing the right thing.

I'm not 100% confident of Luai's ability to play 7 either, but with Api at 9 I think that a lot of pressure will be taken off him as Api can control a lot of what we do from acting half.

Fainu is the most likely to be the elite halfback of the three. he is gifted. Galvin has a similar level of talent but I just can't see him remaining in the halves for many years given his size. Sullivan still possesses the brilliance and x-factor he had when he took Illawarra to an SG Ball title, but his first grade performances have left a lot to be desired, irrespective of how the pandemic, injury and Anthony Griffin affected his development. I think Benji will be great for him but admittedly I do have him behind the other two.

All up Luai is getting around 700K per year from that 850K deal. With the 1.2 million dollar deal, he is still getting at least 1 million per year (agents fees and after tax included). So a 300K difference at least. That's big money. And totally worth leaving for. He can get more TPAs as the main man than being at penrith where his importance is way lesser. Also, I don't think he will play origin again, so money from that won't come by staying at penrith or anywhere else.

Im not a 100% on this but i thought someone mentioned at the time they thought our offer had TPA's already built into it. So we could be offering $950 k and the rest in TPA's maybe someone can clarify but that would be my assumption anyway. In any event he would be very marketable for us i would imagine.

Im not a 100% on this but i thought someone mentioned at the time they thought our offer had TPA's already built into it. So we could be offering $950 k and the rest in TPA's maybe someone can clarify but that would be my assumption anyway. In any event he would be very marketable for us i would imagine.
Thats why we have a brain and a forum. We can imagine. Remember Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

I agree teddy23.
It would be nearly just as much a risk of Luai living up to a 1.1 million dollar price tag as it would the 3 youngsters living up to their price tags and being dominant NRL halves within the next 2 years.

No risk. Just belief. Believe in the youngsters. That's why Benji can't cut it. Prepare for more misery if he don't wake up. His ego seems to be more important than our future.

Have you heard anything about Olakau'atu? Another poster said he thinks he will be coming soon?

Luai update!

One of my close friends who’s close to the operations around Penrith claims they’re increasingly confident that Luai will remain at the club beyond this year. He also stated even if Luai signs with us for 2025 there’s no chance they’ll entertain a trade to release him early. Luai has asked for another year on his Penrith deal and apparently stated to Penrith management that 2 years isn’t good enough. Penrith now have the ball in their court and are most likely going to offer the 3rd year and they believe if they do a deal will get done.

Bulldogs interest has died off - they’re gonna go all out on AFB for next year and he most likely will end up there is the word around the street. However, this isn’t mail but if we were to have a successful year next year and we show signs of life I wouldn’t rule us out. Early word though is he’ll end up a bulldog.

However, my source at the club who pretty much has had like a 95% success rate also believes that we’re pretty confident we can get a deal done as well. In terms of how Benji/Luai’s discussions have been throughout that has been made confidential as Benji doesn’t want anything getting out from that regard.

Overall, it’s between us or Penrith. Both clubs have confidence they can get a deal done. If he was to sign with us for 2025 don’t expect a 2024 early release regardless on who we offer. On the field there isn’t a rivalry between both clubs if we’re being unbiased as Penrith are on another level currently - however off the field, these two clubs don’t like each other.

Side note: My source at the club who broke the Olam/Blore potential deal to me before it went public has reaffirmed that the deal isn’t dead but has stalled due to $ purposes.

Both Blore/Olam had verbally agreed to join respective clubs and it looked like a deal was done. However, Melbourne who’re renowned for being difficult to deal with in these situations don’t want to budge on how much they’ll offer.

The club however are patient and want to revisit this deal again sometime throughout the season, if Olam isn’t playing any game time you’d be silly to not try get him off your books. There’s also whispers going around that the club want to throw Junior Tupou in the centres come round 1 next year.

Luai and his manager are playing the long game now, just like Moses & Moses did.

Latest posts

Members online

Back