Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Cheers for your reply mate. When Charlie is on song I believe his value is close to $350K. But he had a tough year, his form wasn't great leading into the season and that injury was horrendous. In saying that I wouldn't be against extending him for a year at the right price. He has speed to burn which we're lacking.
Totally agree, I think he's well and truly a first grade winger, likely the best we have available when fit.
$350k would be a fair price, hopefully we can move on someone like AJ or Simpkin and fit Staines in somewhere around that figure.

Back row 2nd from the left .. Alex Lobb .. and Triston Reilly back row on the right .. look at the height size difference .. Lobb is a tower .. !!

Front row has Lachlan Gavin on the left and Josh Feledy .. these guys are in "Rookie Camp"

View attachment 7697
10 boys at rookie camp, would have been more if the Fainus were back early too!

Cheers for your reply mate. When Charlie is on song I believe his value is close to $350K. But he had a tough year, his form wasn't great leading into the season and that injury was horrendous. In saying that I wouldn't be against extending him for a year at the right price. He has speed to burn which we're lacking.
Absolutely agree, that is still good value given his age, speed and experience. Charlie should be a priority!

Charlie Staines is not a bad player. I think his perceived importance exceeds his actual output. Conversely I think Nofoaluma's perceived output is unrealistic & that 1 slow run against Manly (was it Manly?) is now his EVERY run.

I think Nofa is not as bad as the narrative. His defence is poor. But no worse than Staines, To'a, Tupou, Kepeoa, etc, etc. He also knows how to find the line. He also does a HEAP of the ugly runs out of dummy half.

Having Olam inside him would not hurt. Having Hymel Hunt on the other side of the field wouldn't hurt our defence either. Our entire outside back squad has trouble reading in defence.

There is no way you pay Charlie Staines $500k again. His greatest asset is that he can ALSO play fullback. I'm yet to watch him play & think "thank God he's as fast as he is- he really made a difference there".

Baffling to see the departure of Ronnie Palmer.
Former tiger himself
Balmain Legend
Rugby league legend
Played 35 games for Balmain in the '70s
Iconic trainer in the competition's history
All the best in your future endeavours
How is it baffling? He oversaw first grade strength and conditioning at a time in our club when a lot of our best players were chronically injured. No offence to him, as he is a legend, but he is past it.

How is it baffling? He oversaw first grade strength and conditioning at a time in our club when a lot of our best players were chronically injured. No offence to him, as he is a legend, but he is past it.
There must be someone out there on the pulse with the new ways and the old that we can get and we should be willing to pay 💰 to get the top guy becoz we need it.
Fitness is like fielding in cricket, you don’t have to be the most talented or the smartest, or the biggest, it’s the one thing in football that anyone can decide to work harder, longer and more often to try and be the fittest in the team. This attitude should be nonnegotiable at our club.

You’re right
- the fact he’s been moved on from both those teams and was only offered a lifeline from the lowly tigers back then is an exact indication of his worth….
And that response is probably an exact indication of your worth.

He's 73 to put things in perspective. I like him
too, but characters like Palmer find it hard to
hang it up. Can't expect a 73 year old to run round
with and condition 18-20+ years olds the whole
year, it's a bit silly. What's more silly is how we're
being painted as the bad guys (again) for not
renewing his contract. Would love to see him
retire and spend more time with his family. Good
luck silver fox, been a staple and icon in the game
Yeah agreed. We need change and youth.

I’m worried about his mental and physical health. Seems like the guy lives for footy and without it could be lost. Obviously loves it. Hope he stays in the game in some capacity and keeps himself busy.

I’m worried about his mental and physical health. Seems like the guy lives for footy and without it could be lost. Obviously loves it. Hope he stays in the game in some capacity and keeps himself busy.
Most clubs would celebrate a guy who gave the code 50 plus years service. Not our guys, only worried about their next pay check.

So many horrid years, hopefully behind us. Arriba

Back