Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Not on 2023 performance it isn't.

Edit: I'll go further. The analysis I've seen suggests Papali'i provided more or less minimum contract value in 2023. Let's be generous and say $200k. That's $400k of value in deficit, which means he'll have to play like an $800k player for the next two years of his deal just to break even. He may have done that in his best season at Parra, but I certainly wouldn't be making any bets on it at the Tigers in 2024-25.

He is, in short, an absolutely perfect example of why throwing mid-to-big deals at mid-range "established first graders" in the free agency market is a diabolical way of building a roster.
Care to share this supposed "analysis you've seen"??

Care to share this supposed "analysis you've seen"??
Why of course - did you think I would just make something like that up or something? It's here: https://www.rugbyleagueeyetest.com/...o-at-projecting-nrl-player-salaries-for-2023/

To be fair, the author acknowledges that a lot of Papali'i's loss in value was down to playing for a crap team. But, again, that only mitigates against the idea that plugging a few mid-range free agents into a garbage side is going to produce value. Also, you don't need to be a data analyst to see that Papali'i went from being very good in 2022 to pretty bad in 2023.

"An example of this is Isaiah Papali’i, who went from the being of the best second rowers in the game by this metric to to playing at a minimum salary level just by joining the Tigers. Clearly, he had regressed statistically, but it’s about finding the right line between individual performance and impact of those around them. There’s always an argument about who a defensive miss should be attributed, and edge players are usually paying for mistakes made inside them or covering for weaker defenders on their outside. I’d like to reduce how much that factors into their rating and reduce the cases like Papali’i."

Jarome Luai-Ivan Cleary slanging match: Wests Tigers enter race for Panthers star​

Benji Marshall could prove an influential player in Panthers star Jarome Luai’s contract negotiations as Penrith responds to the simmering tensions between their five-eighth and coach.

While the Tigers are not believed to have made an official approach as yet, the club is

determined to arm rookie coach Benji Marshall with a side capable of fighting for finals football.

The Tigers have signed veteran half Aiden Sezer for next season, St George Illawarra young gun Jayden Sullivan and teenage Manly playmaker Latu Fainu.

Marshall and Luai have a relationship that stretches back to 2021, when they were teammates and roommates in the Maori All Stars side.

At the time, Luai spoke about how he had grown up worshipping Marshall after falling in love with the Tigers star at the age of six while on a camping trip with his family to Patonga.

“I clearly remember that ’05 grand final and where I was when Benji did that flick pass – it is a memory that I’ll have for the rest of my life,” Luai said at the time.

Our camping neighbours happened to have a little portable TV, so we watched the game on it. I remember my mum got me a Tigers towel afterwards and I used it after every shower for the next five years – I just didn’t want to let go of it.

“I’ve been a fan of Benji ever since.”

Marshall will give the likes of Sullivan and Fainu, as well as emerging half Lachlan Galvin, every chance to show what they can do throughout the pre-season.

However, it is understood he hasn’t ruled out making a play for Luai as the Panthers star prepares to test the open market.

Sorry can't agree, he was running off absolutely crap halves all year, he is a good buy
That's not disagreeing with my point, though - it's just explaining it. An edge back rower running off bad halves and thus not breaking the line, scoring tries etc is not producing value. The mistake you and others are making is assuming some sort of moral judgement here, as if I'm saying Papali'i is somehow to be blamed for having to play outside our reserve grade halves. That's not what I'm saying. But the fact that it's not his fault he didn't do much of any use last year doesn't stop it being a fact.

This is why sensible teams don't start their roster construction with edge back rowers and in fact they're typically the players they feel they can replace relatively easily when they need to shed cap room (see: Viliame Kikau, David Fifita, Adam Blair).

There's no reason why Papali'i can't be a decent player for us, if we sort out our halves. My point is that after one more or less wated season, and on a contract that may not be massive but also certainly isn't tiny, he's very, very unlikely to be anything like a bargain over three years.

The Dragons really are a scummy club from top to bottom, aren't they? Ben Hunt asks for a release to go back to Queensland and maybe have a chance of winning something in the last few years of his career; Dragons response is "no, we're going to hold you to your contract, hope you enjoy losing alongside the coach's son". Addin-Fonua Blake asks for a release to move back to NSW; Dragons response is "sign here please".

I mean, it's not quite up there with making a rapist captain but it's absolutely par for the course.

Jarome Luai-Ivan Cleary slanging match: Wests Tigers enter race for Panthers star​

Benji Marshall could prove an influential player in Panthers star Jarome Luai’s contract negotiations as Penrith responds to the simmering tensions between their five-eighth and coach.

While the Tigers are not believed to have made an official approach as yet, the club is

determined to arm rookie coach Benji Marshall with a side capable of fighting for finals football.

The Tigers have signed veteran half Aiden Sezer for next season, St George Illawarra young gun Jayden Sullivan and teenage Manly playmaker Latu Fainu.

Marshall and Luai have a relationship that stretches back to 2021, when they were teammates and roommates in the Maori All Stars side.

At the time, Luai spoke about how he had grown up worshipping Marshall after falling in love with the Tigers star at the age of six while on a camping trip with his family to Patonga.

“I clearly remember that ’05 grand final and where I was when Benji did that flick pass – it is a memory that I’ll have for the rest of my life,” Luai said at the time.

Our camping neighbours happened to have a little portable TV, so we watched the game on it. I remember my mum got me a Tigers towel afterwards and I used it after every shower for the next five years – I just didn’t want to let go of it.

“I’ve been a fan of Benji ever since.”

Marshall will give the likes of Sullivan and Fainu, as well as emerging half Lachlan Galvin, every chance to show what they can do throughout the pre-season.

However, it is understood he hasn’t ruled out making a play for Luai as the Panthers star prepares to test the open market.

hey Vlad .. what’s your point of this article ?

Luai hasn’t spoken to Benji since 2021 apparently

Latest posts

Members online

Back