Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Seriously needs to go to Defence school if he wants to play centre. Some of his half hearted arm grabs were pathetic, a matter of fact I can’t even remember him ever driving his shoulder into a tackle. Hate to be cruel but the guy is cooked IMO.
It’s the truth though. Sad, cos he‘s a good player when you discount the injuries. Would have been captain otherwise.

Benji is the greatest Wests Tiger of them all, an ultimate competitor, one of the most respectful human beings on the planet and someone all our players love and want to play for because of it.
I know plenty doubt his coaching credentials, I have no doubt he’ll be a huge success.
I guess time will tell.
If Benji is shaping up as a good man manager (a fantastic trait for a head coach) then I think a big part of his success or not will be on who his assistants are and what they can bring to the style, structures and skills.

It’s the truth though. Sad, cos he‘s a good player when you discount the injuries. Would have been captain otherwise.
I hear what you say but i always found him to be a bit of an enigma. Awesome one week and crap for 3 after that. Couldn’t find any real consistency to be a leader but seemed to have the desire and aptitude to do it. Probably suffered from not cementing one position and working on it.
Had some genuine qualities as an attacking player but some real skill deficiencies as well. His D is absolutely rubbish and really inexcusable for an NRL player of his standing and comes back to his repeated lack of heart.
I’d love not to write him off but past experience tells me different. Maybe if he could focus on being a beast in D, his A might just fall into place for the team - that is if he ever gets over his knee problems adequately. Unfortunately I can’t see it and feel his best contribution to the Tiges would be medical retirement.

Benji being our greatest ever player is absolutely fitting for this club. If a player was to encapsulate this club, it would be him. Perennial underachiever.
This is probably the most negative thing ive ever read on here and that’s a big statement.
Benji was an absolutely incredible player. Won 2005 when he was very young and should’ve won another comp or two (2011/2012).
Won the Golden Boot and for years was simply unplayable.
Had a million injuries and of course slowed up as he got older.
If a peak Benji clone came on the market there would be 17 clubs falling over themselves to get him.
You either have a short memory or are delusional. I know you’re negative but this is something else

This is probably the most negative thing ive ever read on here and that’s a big statement.
Benji was an absolutely incredible player. Won 2005 when he was very young and should’ve won another comp or two (2011/2012).
If a peak Benji clone came on the market there would be 17 clubs falling over themselves to get him.
You either have a short memory or are delusional. I know you’re negative but this is something else
You're being a bit harsh IMO. Benji had great moments but he should have been used better and trained to be more disciplined while here. That does indeed parallel the shortcomings of this club.
I think Benji would have gone to another level if he had had a coach like Bennett while here. As much as I don't like the man, he did get Benji playing much more disciplined football in their time together.

You're being a bit harsh IMO. Benji had great moments but he should have been used better and trained to be more disciplined while here. That does indeed parallel the shortcomings of this club.
I think Benji would have gone to another level if he had had a coach like Bennett while here. As much as I don't like the man, he did get Benji playing much more disciplined football in their time together.
He had to play more disciplined football as he had lost his pace/spark

Expecting the team lists to look something like this half-way through next season (assuming fully fit, of course).

1. Bula
2. Nofoaluma
3. To'a
4. Doueihi
5. Tupou
6. Fainu
7. Sezer
8. Utoikamanu
9. Koroisau
10. Klemmer
11. Papalii
12. Bateman
13. Matamua

14. Sullivan
15. Pole
16. Twal
17. Blore

18. Seyfarth
19. TDS
20. Naden
21. Laulilii

Need to upgrade desperately in the #2 and #4 positions. Hopefully Staines is re-signed and he can play ahead of Nofoaluma. Also need a #13 or to develop one from within.

Last edited:
Expecting the team lists to look something like this half-way through next season (assuming fully fit, of course).

1. Bula
2. Nofoaluma
3. To'a
4. Doueihi
5. Tupou
6. Fainu
7. Sezer
8. Utoikamanu
9. Koroisau
10. Klemmer
11. Papalii
12. Bateman
13. Matamua

14. Sullivan
15. Pole
16. Twal
17. Blore

18. Seyfarth
19. TDS
20. Naden
21. Kautoga

Need to upgrade desperately in the #2 and #4 positions. Hopefully Staines is re-signed and he can play ahead of Nofoaluma. Also need a #13 or to develop one from within.
Kautoga?

kitione-kautaga.png

Had some genuine qualities as an attacking player but some real skill deficiencies as well. His D is absolutely rubbish and really inexcusable for an NRL player of his standing and comes back to his repeated lack of heart.

I don't think his defense is so bad due to lack of heart. I think he doesn't move well laterally and he gets caught out in that way. I've seen him pull off some big hits but then he misses an easy tackle.

His running game is great at times and his pass left to right is a pearler. He can also put in a massive bomb.

The problem his overall game doesn't really fit into any position well. I view him as an edge running backrower who could ball play as well but can he defend there.

I was a big fan but now I don't see where he fits in.

Reactions: 851

1. Bula
2. Nofoaluma
3. To'a
4. Doueihi
5. Tupou
6. Fainu
7. Sezer
8. Utoikamanu
9. Koroisau
10. Klemmer
11. Papalii
12. Bateman
13. Matamua

14. Sullivan
15. Pole
16. Twal
17. Blore

18. Seyfarth
19. TDS
20. Naden
21. Laulilii

We have 2 great 13s in matamua and laulilii if we develop both we will end up with at least one great lock and a good bench option

We have 2 great 13s in matamua and laulilii if we develop both we will end up with at least one great lock and a good bench option
Agree. Was hoping for Matamua's break out season last season but he wasn't given any time. Pole named at 13 almost every week when he's clearly an impact bench prop. Hoping Matamua or Laulilii are given time next season rather than the safe option of playing Twal or Pole at 13. We need a ball playing 13 badly

Broncos have developed players with elite attributes, both physical & skill, and have taken those attributes (speed, strength, power, cardio, ball skills) to new levels. Walsh, Cobbo, Staggs, Fansworth, Mam, Haas, Riki, Flegler & Carrigan provide an amazing combination of attributes. With shrewd recruitment in Reynolds & Capewell, they have rocketed up the ladder the past 4 seasons.

We are not going to replicate that by purely recruitment. We need to develop the likes of Laulilii brothers, Faagutu, Galvin, Mason, Large brothers, Makasini, Willett and take the likes of Stef, Pole, Matamua, Fainu brothers, Blore, T'oa & Bula to whole new levels to get us anywhere near the top 4.

Morris is a good man to have on board to help Benji & Api with this.
Totally agreed with this and the other commentator who said "no more 5 year plans that last 1 year".

We have had so many rebuild years that ... DON"T ACTUALLY REBUILD.

At best we focus on one weakness and work on that.

The Sharks rebuilt from last by focusing on defense and getting it right. Then they were back as gritty defenders. That's why I think John Morris will help, he was there.

We need to do the same with strong plans each year. Recruitment will not save us. We could have signed DCE with Payne hass and we would not have broken the top 8.

Reactions: 851
Totally agreed with this and the other commentator who said "no more 5 year plans that last 1 year".

We have had so many rebuild years that ... DON"T ACTUALLY REBUILD.

At best we focus on one weakness and work on that.

The Sharks rebuilt from last by focusing on defense and getting it right. Then they were back as gritty defenders. That's why I think John Morris will help, he was there.

We need to do the same with strong plans each year. Recruitment will not save us. We could have signed DCE with Payne hass and we would not have broken the top 8.
lol.

The Sharks got Hynes.

The Broncos got Reynolds.

Without a controlling half we're in the bottom 4.

We don't have one.

Sullivan, Fainu -- none of them are controlling halves.

Everyone believing they are -- are living in hope and dreaming.

Without a genuine number 7 -- we're going to be back of the pack.

The ONLY HOPE we have is that Sezer somehow has some miraculous, turn the clock back, it's Sezer from 4 seasons ago season, that he hasnt had since moving overseas and that no other club could spot.

If he fails -- we're ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Peak Benji Marshall was literally a decade before he retired. From the time he left to go to Rugby he was never the same player. Pre Rugby he was one of the top 5 players in the game. When he came back he was Chad Townsend.

Ftr, I love Benji. But from 2013 onwards he was above average at best. Never seen a player reach his heights then decline the way he did.

Latest posts

Back