Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I remember his debut against the Broncos at Suncorp, I was listening to it on the radio, and I remember Warren Boland saying “It looks one of the members of Milli Vanilli has converted to league”

Main memory that stands out is when Ellis went through a hole against the Storm, drew Slater and had Laurie in support, and Laurie dropped it with the line wide open. It pretty much summed him up as a player. There was never a dull moment with him. Either good or bad. He was a spectacle.
Yep cost us the game and led to my old man making some non-PC comments!

We've abandoned another long term plan it seems.
Not really. Truncated one part of it from two to one year. You've also got to be flexible in the face of reality. If the big agents are going to freeze you out you've got to listen up.

If Manly are upset with us now, imagine how much they'll hate us next year with Brooks and Talau.
Please. These pelicans have been derailing other clubs without giving a shite for decades. Magpies, Souths, Norths... They snuck in and poached Tapau when he was under contract. What a load of rot. Senior Manly official is probably serial whinger Peter Peters.

This is definitely a little bit of shock but when the shock element fades and reality kicks in this is a good move. The negative comments towards Sheens baffles me, the bloke legitimately took a farewell bullet for the club in order for us to best thrust Benji into the coaching role without the outside noise. Taking on the Wests Tigers job at the point Madge left for a rookie coach would've been potential career suicide, hence why Ciraldo knocked us back. This isn't due to us never having the ability to be successful, but more due to the early stages we were always destined to struggle and the negative media portrayal of the club is already dangerously high. The media pressure if we started Benji straight away (rookie unproven coach) and lost a few games early would've been the topic of the NRL as how unprofessional our club is to give Benji a chance and that can hurt or alter a lot of players confidence within to start to question themselves or the club... whether we think that's the right thing or not it's reality.

The plan was always for Sheens to coach for two years to take all the hits Benji would've got and then the goal for us to make positive strides in 2024 with Benji coming in 2025 with some momentum. Unfortunately 2023 was always a feel out year to who fits Benji's style of play, the expectation is to always make the 8 but 2023 most likely wasn't going to be the year. Sheens sole reason was to take all the hits in the media and from us fans and when the wheels slowly start moving get Benji in as the head coach.

It seems something has been brewing behind the scenes with the Board/Sheens and they probably think Benji is ready to take the step right now. It all went a little pear shaped when they sacked McDonnell and hired Fulton (personally think it was the right decision, yet wrongly executed) when you have three personalities like that it could disrupt the flow a little hence why they made the decision to stand him down or vice versa. For what it's worth, I've got some sources within the club and the feedback I'm getting is besides the results our club has been more united than ever. Players enjoy coming to training and the culture is strong they all want to play for each other. All players are determined to help make a change and get this club back into finals football..... all credit goes to Benji for that apparently he's been strong into turning the club culture into a "family culture" similar to Penrith. They all want to play for Benji and they all think Benji is going to be a fantastic coach... me included and I think Api agrees too.

I think we've actually been a well coached side this year - injuries to Brooks, Api and AD really derailed our season and the decision to get rid of Hastings wasn't the correct one but in fairness to the coaching staff it's tough to predict injuries to a sole position like that. When Brandon Wakeham and Will Smith are your starting halves on some occasions we're never going to win any NRL games. However, the club have now signed the most highly rated 6 prospect in Fainu, a very very flashy yet capable player in Sullivan and then combined that with the experience and exceptional kicking game in Seizer so to say they've addressed that issue is an understatement.

The last couple of weeks we've really stood strong against top 4 sides - give Benji the full preseason with our new halves under this pack and 2024 can be the year we crack the 8 I really do believe it. If you take notice both Sullivan/Faniu have something in common they're flashy and exciting playmakers that isn't by mistake. I think next year with Benji taking over and installing his play style we're gonna see a flashy yet effective Wests Tigers team in 2024 and I for one can't wait to see it. I just hope Sheens still has some involvement in the club because his experience and pedigree would be welcomed anywhere.
good post mate, but my issues lie in the bit about the club being weary about thrusting a rookie coach into the top job given the very public scrutiny. what's changed in the last 12 months?

our win-loss record is worse (yes I know we are playing far better, but the press doesn't care about that), the Fulton/McDonnell saga played out very publicly and we are still very much a punchline in pubs and subreddits across the land. I'd like to think Sheens took a bullet, but we all know he's a stubborn old bastard. I'd be surprised if he wasn't pushed to the edge and then told to jump, given the history of this administration.

just because we're playing a little better doesn't mean Marshall won't cop that from here on out. if they think he's ready, excellent, but this club will need to protect him irrespective of how ready he is. that is done through adding an additional experienced assistant and instilling a Director of Football.

again, the signs are positive and I think we're on the up, but I'm just not sure if it was worth shifting the goalposts 12 months in. I would be delighted if I were proven wrong, but history is unfortunately on my side.

Genuinely hope Sheens stays on in some capacity. If not, I'm very interested in who they might consider bringing in to assist Benji.

this might add some more weight to meeting with Holbrook.

Please. These pelicans have been derailing other clubs without giving a shite for decades. Magpies, Souths, Norths... They snuck in and poached Tapau when he was under contract. What a load of rot. Senior Manly official is probably serial whinger Peter Peters.
Didn't Manly offer contracts to all of Taupau, Aloiai and Paseka when they were under contract to Tigers and not yet allowed to negotiate?

This is definitely a little bit of shock but when the shock element fades and reality kicks in this is a good move. The negative comments towards Sheens baffles me, the bloke legitimately took a farewell bullet for the club in order for us to best thrust Benji into the coaching role without the outside noise. Taking on the Wests Tigers job at the point Madge left for a rookie coach would've been potential career suicide, hence why Ciraldo knocked us back. This isn't due to us never having the ability to be successful, but more due to the early stages we were always destined to struggle and the negative media portrayal of the club is already dangerously high. The media pressure if we started Benji straight away (rookie unproven coach) and lost a few games early would've been the topic of the NRL as how unprofessional our club is to give Benji a chance and that can hurt or alter a lot of players confidence within to start to question themselves or the club... whether we think that's the right thing or not it's reality.

The plan was always for Sheens to coach for two years to take all the hits Benji would've got and then the goal for us to make positive strides in 2024 with Benji coming in 2025 with some momentum. Unfortunately 2023 was always a feel out year to who fits Benji's style of play, the expectation is to always make the 8 but 2023 most likely wasn't going to be the year. Sheens sole reason was to take all the hits in the media and from us fans and when the wheels slowly start moving get Benji in as the head coach.

It seems something has been brewing behind the scenes with the Board/Sheens and they probably think Benji is ready to take the step right now. It all went a little pear shaped when they sacked McDonnell and hired Fulton (personally think it was the right decision, yet wrongly executed) when you have three personalities like that it could disrupt the flow a little hence why they made the decision to stand him down or vice versa. For what it's worth, I've got some sources within the club and the feedback I'm getting is besides the results our club has been more united than ever. Players enjoy coming to training and the culture is strong they all want to play for each other. All players are determined to help make a change and get this club back into finals football..... all credit goes to Benji for that apparently he's been strong into turning the club culture into a "family culture" similar to Penrith. They all want to play for Benji and they all think Benji is going to be a fantastic coach... me included and I think Api agrees too.

I think we've actually been a well coached side this year - injuries to Brooks, Api and AD really derailed our season and the decision to get rid of Hastings wasn't the correct one but in fairness to the coaching staff it's tough to predict injuries to a sole position like that. When Brandon Wakeham and Will Smith are your starting halves on some occasions we're never going to win any NRL games. However, the club have now signed the most highly rated 6 prospect in Fainu, a very very flashy yet capable player in Sullivan and then combined that with the experience and exceptional kicking game in Seizer so to say they've addressed that issue is an understatement.

The last couple of weeks we've really stood strong against top 4 sides - give Benji the full preseason with our new halves under this pack and 2024 can be the year we crack the 8 I really do believe it. If you take notice both Sullivan/Faniu have something in common they're flashy and exciting playmakers that isn't by mistake. I think next year with Benji taking over and installing his play style we're gonna see a flashy yet effective Wests Tigers team in 2024 and I for one can't wait to see it. I just hope Sheens still has some involvement in the club because his experience and pedigree would be welcomed anywhere.
Thanks for your lengthy post. I am bouyed by your impression of the culture. I personally am big on that stuff whether it be work or sport. I will happily eat humble pie if Benji is successful. Having the boys on the bus is 80% of the puzzle if they are all working hard.

Can I ask what makes you believe that? We were sold these sorts of things under Ivan, then under Madge, then under Sheens & now under Benji. We've been sold fairytales for too damn long now our latest one being a 2005 renaissance & now that hasn't worked too.

How were we a well coached side this year when we started 0-7 when none of those guys were injured & have had the worst attack in the comp? How are we a well coached side when the coaches decided to move Bateman to lock & decimate our edges to the point we started copping floggings? Sheens decides the best 7 at the club is a lock & then realises we need a 7 to lead us around the field halfway through the season & that's good coaching you say?

This club is an absolute shambles & we just keep finding ways to make ourselves look more stupid, embarrassing & pathetic. Hiring Sheens again was never the right call & the club has found that out 12 months later by giving him the flick & changing the plan YET AGAIN !!!!!! But hey Justin & Lee will never be held accountable for anything so they'll just keep getting away with it right?

I've been inactive on here because I've been in Europe but seen the news online & just had to laugh about how inept this organisation really is but I guess with back to back spoons on the horizon I don't need to tell anyone that.

Can I ask what makes you believe that? We were sold these sorts of things under Ivan, then under Madge, then under Sheens & now under Benji. We've been sold fairytales for too damn long now our latest one being a 2005 renaissance & now that hasn't worked too.

How were we a well coached side this year when we started 0-7 when none of those guys were injured & have had the worst attack in the comp? How are we a well coached side when the coaches decided to move Bateman to lock & decimate our edges to the point we started copping floggings? Sheens decides the best 7 at the club is a lock & then realises we need a 7 to lead us around the field halfway through the season & that's good coaching you say?

This club is an absolute shambles & we just keep finding ways to make ourselves look more stupid, embarrassing & pathetic. Hiring Sheens again was never the right call & the club has found that out 12 months later by giving him the flick & changing the plan YET AGAIN !!!!!! But hey Justin & Lee will never be held accountable for anything so they'll just keep getting away with it right?

I've been inactive on here because I've been in Europe but seen the news online & just had to laugh about how inept this organisation really is but I guess with back to back spoons on the horizon I don't need to tell anyone that.
Well however bumbling it has been, I think theyve arrived in the right space. The question is now can Marshall bring it all together? He needs good assistants and support staff, recruitment and retention and a positive turn around in media coverage and WT going on a PR campaign. All do'able but can WT actually do it? I hope so.

There's no place for people talking sense on here.
Mods. do your job and ban this man.

Some of you make out like Benji is some sort of idiot.
Wanting to recruit Sezer aside, Benji is no idiot and doesn’t need anyone to hold his hand in coaching an NRL team.
Are we forgetting he was the catalyst as a player when was a successful club and has since played under great coaches such as Wayne Bennett. I think it’s fair to say he has learnt a lot as a senior player and would have learnt a lot this season.
Benji is highly respected across NRL players and if anyone can get us back on track, he can.

You think he has not already adjusted to the top grade yet, we need a good centre and top winger please, not a replacement for Bula.
Ur missing the point , try looking out side the square , plenty of fullbacks have don’t a bit in the wing and centre before finding it back to been a class fullback

Well said.

Keep the faith mate that's what our Chair told you to do.

If Manly are upset with us now, imagine how much they'll hate us next year with Brooks and Talau.

I reckon both those players could go well at Manly. I think Brooks will be really good for them.

I love that story about the Tigers playing the game with Manly so well. I don't believe a word of it but if true it's awesome.

Reactions: 851

Latest posts

Back