LIVE GAME Round 9 vs. Bulldogs

Live Game Discussion
She binned him because she was sick of back chat. Well when you keep getting decisions proven wrong by the bunker, the constant questioning your decisions is warranted love.
You could see the tension building from the tigers players. It would have been really easy to let loose and say something derogatory but if that was it then I think klemmers done well lol.

It's one thing to do something in training and replicating it under game pressure. I don't want to bang on about Brooks but I thought he never handled stress well.
On the money there with Brooks, and potentially some of our current squad. If they can't deal with the adversity it is time to move them on.

Good coaches will be delaing with this on an individual and collective basis. I'm not saying that Benji and co aren't - it is just that it is as clear as the nose on your face that resillience is a big issue for us.

We have shown we can do it, and we do it in most games for 40 to 60 minutes. It is really now about application for the duration - if we improve that at the same time we improve the other aspects of the game we will be in a much better place.

A couple of upgrades for in 25 wont hurt either.;)

She binned him because she was sick of back chat. Well when you keep getting decisions proven wrong by the bunker, the constant questioning your decisions is warranted love.
Yes, but there is a process. The captain steps up and questions decisions.
She warned Bateman to get them to shut up, must have been a lot of shit talking.

It went a long way towards costing us the game.
If you are happy with that lack of effort, than you’re easily pleased.
If you ever bother to watch a game, Bula made the previous try saving tackle on Kikau. You then expect him to run past 10 other players in the defensive line to make a tackle on a bloke two others are marking. Wake up and get over it.

If you ever bother to watch a game, Bula made the previous try saving tackle on Kikau. You then expect him to run past 10 other players in the defensive line to make a tackle on a bloke two others are marking. Wake up and get over it.
Spot on there, even on the podcast they were critical on this instance with Bula's effort and i also recall him being on trysaving tackle on our right side.

This game was not lost by the skill of our players, although as many have pointed out the benchies certainly affect our ability to maintain momentumn. This game was lost between the ears yet again. Ill discipline is the issue we are battling; the opposition gets a roll on and we go away from the game plan, start to run sideways, get frustrated and don't have the ability to dig ourselves out of that situation (less the Eels win).

Could we do with some player upgrades and a bit of depth? Sure, but it isn't happening in 2024. Wish what you want but the answer to our problems right now aren't so much about the ball and defensive skills of the playing group, although they could both improve, it is about our resillience as a team.

We showed we have it in us in the dig against the Eels. I trust Benji is cool enough to sit back and use this last loss as a lesson to be learned as opposed to going off about our lack of discipline. This is the time to pull each individual aside and chat with them about how they react to game stress. In simple terms each player needs to ask themselves, in a facilitated way: was my reaction natural, was it helpful and what can I do to improve it? Call it grit, determination, mongrel if you are old, call it resillience if you are a younger generation. Regardless of the nametag; Wests Tigers lacks it. We just don't do the 1%ers at critical times to change the outcome. Yes, we have an inexperienced side; but when our leaders should be urging them on they are dropping the bundle.

You see teams doing breathing exercises after tries to bring themselves back down and focus on the task at hand, others simply have such a well exercised routine that it is second nature. Penrith is probably the best at it in the competition and have three premierships to show for it. They clearly demonstrated what it looks like in last years GF, but as recent as this week they dug their way out of the fast start by the Donkeys by being calm during adversity and turning the momentum around.

We don''t have the player skill set to get to that level yet; however, turning this around is as much about work on the training paddock as it is about each player understanding their own reaction to game day stress; understanding when it is happening and doing something about it. Then as a collective urging each other to perform and overcome it.

This is where a great coach comes in; I hope Benji was taking notes!
Seeing the Replay carefully (Round 9 vs Bulldogs), I see that we have lost due to missed opportunities in the second halve. Otherwise we are doing quite well, honestly.
Try-scoring opportunities: 1. Galvin Line break and not spotting Olam on the LHS.
2. Staines Linebreak and not inside passing to Bula or kicking a bit long towards
the left side for Bula to chase.
Try-saving opportunity: Bula not immediately following the bulldogs ball to the left resulting in Josh Curran kick chase try (generally the fullback must be able to read where the ball is going and be the second line of defense every where on his try line, this is the major role of fullback; defense and ball security is compulsory, attack is optional).
Ultimate Advice to our amazing players is: NON-ATTACHMENT.
Non-attachment to the referee's decision, Non-attachment to your score, Non-attachment to the Opposition's score, Non-attachment to your previous Losses. Non-attachment to the coach's advice (because its stored in your subconcious).
80 Mins Non-attachment to anything but the Ball. Play your style and let it be the branded as the newest tiger style! You are 99% there!
Teamwork, Let the ball flow from left to right and right to left so that nobody is exhausted. Seizer would not have missed the tackle if his lactic acid tank was not full. Doing the work early will make you weak late as in horse racing. Go easy on the try celebrations because you are producing unnecesary Lactic Acid.
-Cheers!

Seeing the Replay carefully (Round 9 vs Bulldogs), I see that we have lost due to missed opportunities in the second halve. Otherwise we are doing quite well, honestly.
Try-scoring opportunities: 1. Galvin Line break and not spotting Olam on the LHS.
2. Staines Linebreak and not inside passing to Bula or kicking a bit long towards
the left side for Bula to chase.
Try-saving opportunity: Bula not immediately following the bulldogs ball to the left resulting in Josh Curran kick chase try (generally the fullback must be able to read where the ball is going and be the second line of defense every where on his try line, this is the major role of fullback; defense and ball security is compulsory, attack is optional).
Ultimate Advice to our amazing players is: NON-ATTACHMENT.
Non-attachment to the referee's decision, Non-attachment to your score, Non-attachment to the Opposition's score, Non-attachment to your previous Losses. Non-attachment to the coach's advice (because its stored in your subconcious).
80 Mins Non-attachment to anything but the Ball. Play your style and let it be the branded as the newest tiger style! You are 99% there!
Teamwork, Let the ball flow from left to right and right to left so that nobody is exhausted. Seizer would not have missed the tackle if his lactic acid tank was not full. Doing the work early will make you weak late as in horse racing. Go easy on the try celebrations because you are producing unnecesary Lactic Acid.
-Cheers!
Welcome bushie...good initial post

I really don’t understand why Benji would instruct the players to constantly badger the ref. If Benji didn’t instruct them to do so then was it our on-field leadership leading that assault.

Kasey Badger is a 3 game ref. If we had a 3 game player who had a bad game he would be forgiven in a heartbeat.

This was a game between the wooden spooners, an ideal game for this ref to get some experience. We also have a rookie coach, experienced enough to have seen this coming and steel his players resolve before the game started.
My guess is Kasey Badger would have been the main discussion point at half time, the wrong time, and impossible for our rookie coach to turn it around. Hence we came out of the sheds with the wrong mindset.
pick up your game Benji!!

Members online

Back