LIVE GAME Round 5 vs. Dolphins

Live Game Discussion
I thought a few of Api’s passes last week were poor as well. It’s the number one job of a number 9. I’ve never understood why league 9s can’t pass like rugby union halfbacks. Joey Lussick has the best pass in league and he was a former Australian Schoolboys rugby halfback.
I may be biased, but my mates son has the best pass in the league, Wayde Egan

Reactions: BZN
As I had said after watching Latu in the cup game vs Parra -Latu looks a bit shy didn't get involved much .Yet many raving about him on the forum and I can't see why . He was hardly noticed did very few meters ,no line breaks no trys a handful of tackles
What's to get excited about ?
I've no doubt the kid will blossom in a year or so .He's not another Galvin who has shown he can be a game changer!

So many errors but one is unforgivable !
When Faataape gets up and plays the ball to NO Dummy half !
Who was it ? Either Staines or Tupou should have been there
Also our Marker defence went missing as they made huge breaks straight up the middle
All this is similar to 2022/23 !

So many errors but one is unforgivable !
When Faataape gets up and plays the ball to NO Dummy half !
Who was it ? Either Staines or Tupou should have been there
Also our Marker defence went missing as they made huge breaks straight up the middle
All this is similar to 2022/23 !
It was Bula. He was walking into dummy half, and literally wandered off. And it’s not like it was a quick PTB. The Phins really worked us over. There was a moment in the second where we were on their line, and Bula was standing flat footed, and shat himself when he realised there was no one else around and he got in there himself. He needs to be more alert to that.

As I had said after watching Latu in the cup game vs Parra -Latu looks a bit shy didn't get involved much .Yet many raving about him on the forum and I can't see why . He was hardly noticed did very few meters ,no line breaks no trys a handful of tackles
What's to get excited about ?
I've no doubt the kid will blossom in a year or so .He's not another Galvin who has shown he can be a game changer!
I think you might might be right. Latu seems a more passive half who doesn’t command the ball like a more assertive Galvin. It may be an age, inexperience thing. No doubting he has the skills & ability in both A & D.

I’d love to see later in the season Galvin at half, Fainu at 5/8 with Sezer at lock. I think @Tito Santana mentioned it in another thread.

A loss is always disappointing, but it's good to see the team try and give it a good go.

Cut out half the errors will help a lot.

Hopefully they won't take the Dragons lightly and show they can bounce back after a loss.

IPap and Bateman seem to be the targets when we go poorly. I think they have both been significant in helping us get our two wins. The team was flat in the first half against what is a pretty good outfit, with speed out wide that is unmatched in our squad. Our edge defence has been so much better this season and those two need to be given credit.We had an off 40 mins as a team but they are definitely our best options imo.

Last edited:
Tupou is slower than my old fat aunty with only one leg and uses a wheelchair that she has to move herself.
A lot on here say how good he is bringing the ball back from our 20m mark?
What? He makes maybe 2m more than the worst winger would make. That makes him value?
Not hungry enough to chime in and get the ball, create overlap or find a gap; but can rely on him to lose or drop the ball sometime in a game. Moving on next year, lets move him to Reggie's ASAP.

Still completing after a lot of adversity, Api not fit & two players ruled out… when in recent history can you say this about the Tigers, it’s a huge plus for the direction in which the club is headed

I noticed there was some real anger directed towards Belinda, the female ref - she did the Knights game.

Watched some highlighted footage and it appears she couldn't keep up with the players.

I've noticed the Elon Musk look alike ref is quite slow too.

Might be time to restructure and get some fresh employees on deck.
To be fair , and to run the risk of perceived misogyny , the reality is these are elite athletes. Of course they’re going to be switched on for longer , run faster etc. and thats even if you put marathon runners in at ref. Chuck in some biology ,and yea …
If she’s not keeping up , she needs to get fitter it’s simple . And if she can’t keep up … well then yea .
At the same time , if she’s doing a good job , and guys are just being dicks because she has a vagina , that’s ridiculous as well .
Watch the Cobbo break where he gets run down by Deardon . Look at the touchy , he’s absolutely flying down the sideline .I there’s a few that are up to it . It’s a tough gig! But I do think Sutton has a quiet disdain for us , or he loves us secretly and a bit of he doesn’t want to play favourites lol

I noticed there was some real anger directed towards Belinda, the female ref - she did the Knights game.

Watched some highlighted footage and it appears she couldn't keep up with the players.

I've noticed the Elon Musk look alike ref is quite slow too.

Might be time to restructure and get some fresh employees on deck.
If u remember back she ref her 1st nrl game when we got thumped by the eagles , and they scored 4-5 try’s of forward passes , she was level with 2-3 of them passes yet let them go , she is as useful as a ash tray on a motor bike

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
Tupou isn’t the best under the high ball either anyway

The only thing I reckon Tupou has over Naden is his tackle breaking ability. But I think I’d prefer raw speed over that atm
Agree, no idea if Tupou was carrying an injury but was shocked at his total lack of speed.

IPap and Bateman seem to be the targets when we go poorly. I think they have both been significant in helping us get our two wins. The team was flat in the first half against what is a pretty good outfit, with speed out wide that is unmatched in our squad. Our edge defence has been so much better this season and those two need to be given credit.We had an off 40 mins as a team but they are definitely our best options imo.
You don’t think edge forwards need to contribute in attack ?
I think many forget a good attacking team helps the defence immensely as it helps the team be on the front foot much more often.
Bateman shats his pants every time he gets the ball, runs sideways gets smashed, thrown on his back and takes half an hour to play the ball.
He hasn’t once made a line breaks or hit hard enough to force a turnover while wearing Wests Tigers colours. He’s all talk, no action.
Papali’i is definitely trying hard even taking the first or second hit up out of our danger zone on many occasions and at least hits hard defensively. However he keeps getting gassed quickly and getting caught out defensively because of it. A move to 13 would eliminate the amount of ground he needs to cover defensively.

Last edited:
I think many forget a good attacking team helps the defence immensely as the help the team be on the front foot much more often.
Bateman what’s his ants every time he gets the ball, runs sideways gets smashed, thrown on his back and takes half an hour to play the ball.
He hasn’t once made a line breaks or hit hard d ought n force a turnover while wearing Wests Tigers colours. He’s all talk, no action.
Papali’i is definitely trying hard even taking the first or second hit up out of our danger zone on many occasions and at least hits hard defensively. However he keeps getting gassed quickly and getting caught out defensively because of it. A move to 13 would eliminate the amount of ground he needs to cover defensively.
Yep Bateman has been bog average.

Interesting Donoghoe gets 3 weeks for his hit on Fainu and during the game didn’t even get on report/sin bin nothing. Meanwhile we lost a vital member for a chunk of the game and against the Dragons.

Hope Benji gives the refs boss a call and they have a quality conversation…..

Yep Bateman has been bog average.
The amount of tries scored across the NRL which are created from hard running edge back rowers whether they bust tackles, score themselves of simply suck in defenders for the ball to be played outside of them is extremely high.
Bateman doesn’t run hard, doesn’t break tackles and doesn’t suck in any defenders because of it. Thank god we have Olam to show what running the ball with intent does to help his teams attack.

I think many forget a good attacking team helps the defence immensely as it helps the team be on the front foot much more often.
Bateman shats his pants every time he gets the ball, runs sideways gets smashed, thrown on his back and takes half an hour to play the ball.
He hasn’t once made a line breaks or hit hard enough to force a turnover while wearing Wests Tigers colours. He’s all talk, no action.
Bateman obviously has had his time it not his fauly he is just to small to old the game has gone past him.

I think he has been great. He is an effort player and I think that's exactly what this team needs. Our edge defence has been pretty good as far as I can see, better than its been for some time - down to effort and attitude. We were always going to be challenged by the Dolphins speed if they got into space no matter who was playing out wide. Any player who runs 126 metres and makes 35 tackles and leads the kick chase is going to show signs of fatigue I would think and then it is up to the coach to decide if he needs a break.

god I'm still fuming at that Marker penalty not given...changed the whole complexion of the game. We were starting to get a roll on.
Wish the Tigers could request that Sutton doesn't officiate our games ... love to know what our strike is under him? I mean I know under other refs would be low but under Sutton is must be close to zero :cautious:

This site has all our stats against refs:

G Sutton has ref’d us 45 times, win ratio of 35%

Back