LIVE GAME Round 10 vs. Knights

Live Game Discussion
It’s all ok, the boys tried and made an effort. It’s not their fault that some are not up to scratch. We need the right cattle… a few parts missing…I guess will take someone with some gonads to make some hard calls. Until that we all know the boys will continue to try their best and maybe earn a participation award or 2 but the result we actually want…well that’s another story.

Is there an injury update.
If I’m not mistaken we have potential long term injures to To’a and Bateman to add to the list.

It's very easy to see the problems we are facing as a club. I'm getting very tired of hating reading about how crap the Tigers are all the time. I am always guilty of looking for the positives.

Papali'i was very effective at #13. Actually, the best individual performance at #13 from a Tigers player all season.

Sullivan was reasonably good. He's a player with flaws. But he did enough to be an effective player today.

Api is so much better at defence than I ever gave him credit for.

Samuela Fainu will really benefit from having players inside him that can create some space. Very imposing body type that likes contact. I'm very excited to see his development.

Bula was probably as good in attack this week as we have seen. The more involved he gets, the better we look. He is clearly an important cog going forward for us.

For all the whining, we got beaten based off a few small parts- the injuries to To'a & then Bateman caused reshuffles that never let the team settle. Naden, Sullivan & Staines were asked to contain 2 hard running opponents are are incapable of doing so. If better defensive players are in their positions- I think we win.

I think we really missed Bateman on the edge when he went off. It will be interesting to see who replaces him if his pec injury is bad.

As a team, the Tigers don't seem capable of maintaining momentum. I'm going to assume this is due to inexperience in too many spine players at this stage. I expect Luai will go some way to helping with that.

We played Faatape early in the season. Put him back in. His defence was solid. Naden is an incomplete player, Faatape is the better option. It might be time to play Kepaoa on that wing now..

Galvin is starting to look ineffective. Not being critical. But Benji could even look at moving him into Naden's centre spot & having Faatape outside him, and playing Latu Fainu when fit. I thoroughly believe Galvin will be most effective playing an edge, using his height & length to create mismatches. I still think he's a second rower in the making- similar to what Schuster SHOULD be.

Matamua on the bench for mine. And let Simpkin play some #13 as well as #9. Or even on the edge as a defensive guy. What Simpkin DOESN'T do is play badly, or dumb. I think he could be converted into a Cam McGuiness type.

I had very high hopes for Pole this year. Last couple of games have made me less excited. Twal was ok today & Seyfarth was actually competing hard. We just lack any real impact, which makes our starters less effective as a whole.
You’re a good judge mate, nice post 👍

It’s all ok, the boys tried and made an effort. It’s not their fault that some are not up to scratch. We need the right cattle… a few parts missing…I guess will take someone with some gonads to make some hard calls. Until that we all know the boys will continue to try their best and maybe earn a participation award or 2 but the result we actually want…well that’s another story.
We played and lost, again. Not sure if there’s a current solution to our woes.
I just keep eyeing off the Dragons and wonder if Flanagan would have the same effect with us.
Benji is no doubt busting his balls but a team like ours really can’t gel with a rookie coach. At least not yet.
And we continued that horrible record of something like 40+ games where we’ve lost after being behind at half time.
It’s becoming a long season already.

Another disappointing game from this group as a whole. How many times do we allow a try in the final minutes before half time or the first few minutes of the second half?? A lack of concentration or focus and we let 2 tries in that kill us.
As usual you can count on us producing a few super dumb plays from particular players. Today it was Naden who was mostly horrible in both A and D.
However on the positive side - Some of our guys lifted their efforts. Twal actually ran harder and Seyfarth was heavily involved even though he can be a bit loose at times. Uto and Klem were ok as well. Paps had his best game all season but Api has not been himself since the earlier rounds. Neither has Olam.
Thought Bula lifted his involvement and looked good a lot of the time. Galvin however is starting to look very predictable. Sullivan is lazy in D and not involved enough in A for mine. Simpkin should stay as 14 as he plays a solid game.
Unfortunately any more injuries or suspensions and we will run out of depth.

It was there for the taking today!

Try on halftime
Try after a kick to the corner
Try after a bad missed tackle
Naden had an all time stinker today bring back Faatape.
There was a grubber from Galvin to Olam, ball wouldnt sit up, olam looked certain to score.
Toa doing his hamstring when looking certain to score, so WT
I am one eyed but Api went to the side of Twal and got pushed back into him, try for mine.
Also after the dream made that break, not sure how we didnt score, but the reviewed the Papallai held up play. You watch the marker frizzell, he wasn’t square, no sin bin or mention.

We are so unlucky its not funny. Thought the boys played well considering losing a centre and second rower.

Bud looked like we know he can, hopefully he continue.

Another season over before the half way mark!

@Conbat07 Frizell not being square is irrelevant IMO. After Bula made that break the left side was completely open. But Staines took a solo run and then Papalii did the same. Was a microcosm into how dumb our team is.
We lost because we make schoolboy errors in attack and defense. It wasn’t unlucky.

Fair call 20. I've been critical of both but credit where due. Staines not built for bringing it out of our end but he's trying to aim up.
He’s pretty much the same size as Bula, Olam and Bateman.
Staines is a finisher who needs clean ball.

Reactions: BZN
@Conbat07 Frizell not being square is irrelevant IMO. After Bula made that break the left side was completely open. But Staines took a solo run and then Papalii did the same. Was a microcosm into how dumb our team is.
We lost because we make schoolboy errors in attack and defense. It wasn’t unlucky.
We should have done that, but if you are offside deliberately in a try scoring position its a sin bin. Fatigues the knights, to me its just how our team gets treated compared to the rest of the Nrl

We should have done that, but if you are offside deliberately in a try scoring position its a sin bin. Fatigues the knights, to me its just how our team gets treated compared to the rest of the Nrl
What about the blatant sin bins that we were spared the last two weeks. How did we get treated in that regard to the rest of the competition?

Benji said the effort was there and then said our kick chase was poor.
Kick chase is an effort play, so if it was poor it means our effort was not good enough in that capacity.
The one that pissed me off the most was API’s kick into the in goal, early in the first half … mediocre kick chase but 3 players missed the tackle on the fullback and the knights actually end up making 50+ meters on that set

Any other decent team turns that play into a goal line drop out

Benji said the effort was there and then said our kick chase was poor.
Kick chase is an effort play, so if it was poor it means our effort was not good enough in that capacity.
'Effort was there' is a cop out. Come on Benji, we talking about 1st grade NRL, not u12s. Effort is an expectation from "Professionals". I don't know how you're gonna do it but just make us better once and for all. We are a shit show.

Our defence isn’t that bad in the grand scheme of things, I think we are doing okay to hang in games.

Execution is clearly our problem, we can create opportunities, often we should be able to create more than we do but there has been enough there to win more games than we have lost thus far.

Our ball handling and execution has let us down big time and that is why we keep losing.

It would be frustrating for someone like Bula playing in our team who is off the cuff, creates opportunities and them his passes are over run or dropped.

Bula is a special type of talent that needs good players around him.

Galvin, whilst not flashy, makes the right call most of the time and has a nice little short kicking game. I would leave him at 6 contrary to what others have said.

It would be interesting to see who takes over the predominant portion of the kicking between he and Luai next year.

I do think, even with Turuva, we are short an elite centre/winger. Put simply, everyone in the 2-5 jersey this year should be lining up in second grade next year.

We got a six again. There are no penalties that side of the field; unless foul play or the play breaks down and the attacking team can’t continue.

Haha so we;
  • got the spoon in 2022 with a poor roster evicerated by injury,
  • got the spoon in 2023 with a decent roster and heaps of off field turmoil
  • you are thinking we are likely to get another spoon in 2024 despite the off field stuff being sorted and possessing a better roster…
yet there is improvement?
You can only cling on to positives so long if you are not getting results. Like the comment above, O’Brian very complimentary towards our defence. Where does that praise get us?

Opposition off side at the kick off.
(I still get horrible flashbacks to the Cowboys game!!)
Oh well, just another decision that has evaporated!

1715469485110.jpeg

Back