Referendum 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been reading this thread for some time now & there have been some really good points raised. I’m certainly no expert on the topic & am still scratching my head over which way to vote. For me the initial confusion was about what supporting the yes vote would actually lead to in reality. Someone shared some really good & I believe fair articles from the Guardian which I found very useful & would recommend reading them if anyone is seeking more info. I have a work colleague who just returned from a 6 week stint in a remote Indigenous community up north, somewhere near Darwin but not really near anywhere. I was keen to hear how they felt about all this assuming that people like them would benefit most. Generally they weren’t really sure if it would help but felt it would be a step in the right direction. That’s pretty much how I feel too. I want equality for our Indigenous population but don’t know if this will help. But also if the vote doesn’t pass then nothing changes. I get the feeling that the lack of clarity around what a yes vote will lead to might be its downfall. People are mostly scared of the unknown.

I’ve been reading this thread for some time now & there have been some really good points raised. I’m certainly no expert on the topic & am still scratching my head over which way to vote. For me the initial confusion was about what supporting the yes vote would actually lead to in reality. Someone shared some really good & I believe fair articles from the Guardian which I found very useful & would recommend reading them if anyone is seeking more info. I have a work colleague who just returned from a 6 week stint in a remote Indigenous community up north, somewhere near Darwin but not really near anywhere. I was keen to hear how they felt about all this assuming that people like them would benefit most. Generally they weren’t really sure if it would help but felt it would be a step in the right direction. That’s pretty much how I feel too. I want equality for our Indigenous population but don’t know if this will help. But also if the vote doesn’t pass then nothing changes. I get the feeling that the lack of clarity around what a yes vote will lead to might be its downfall. People are mostly scared of the unknown.
All Australian citizens are "equal ".
What are you on about?

All Australian citizens are "equal ".
What are you on about?
Not all.

Try being non aboriginal and having an excuse of cultural reasons why you aren't held accountable. During a very long career working in mental health and employment services, Aboriginals were not at all treated as equal. If a white fella failed to comply with Centrelink their payments were cut off immediately as a penalty. If an aboriginal didn't comply they were bulletproof, they were flagged as untouchable. Their payments were not allowed to be cut off. A great way though to indoctrinate a whole swathe of people into no accountability and victimhood status. Very 'equal' indeed.

Nah, there won't be any accountability. Any poor decisions that don't work can just be blamed on good ol trusty 'systemic racism'.

This is an Activist led Lefty initiative.

It's not in the interests of all Australians.

I'm 3rd generation Aussie, tell me and my kids were not connected to thus land.
I can trace my mothers side back to convicts (I'm still suffering from generational trauma) and I can trace my dads side back to being an OG soldier on the first fleets that settled in Australia. Even though I have pasty white Irish skin my great Grandmother is from the Awabakal people in the Newcastle Area. I can trace my 'white' family back 200+ years on this land. I'm as indigenous to the land as it gets. Voting yes is embarrassing and the vast majority that will vote 'yes' are completely happy in being ignorantly bliss in why they are voting yes. Good deed done for the day, 100% forgotten why they pretended to care to vote yes and back to sipping $12 coffees, Instagram and watching reality TV.

Nah, there won't be any accountability. Any poor decisions that don't work can just be blamed on good ol trusty 'systemic racism'.

I hate these comments. It's just negativity for the sake of negativity.

Is it possible that the Aboriginal population simply isnt designed to allow an organised structure of communication? Do Aboriginals need to have a treaty and reconcilation with themselves first?

They are human beings so I assume they can learn and change and grow.

Not all.

Try being non aboriginal and having an excuse of cultural reasons why you aren't held accountable. During a very long career working in mental health and employment services, Aboriginals were not at all treated as equal. If a white fella failed to comply with Centrelink their payments were cut off immediately as a penalty. If an aboriginal didn't comply they were bulletproof, they were flagged as untouchable. Their payments were not allowed to be cut off. A great way though to indoctrinate a whole swathe of people into no accountability and victimhood status. Very 'equal' indeed.
Kerry Packer had a boardroom table of Fruit delivered to his property. This 3m+ length table was to have the fruit displayed for "decorative purposes only". Once when fruit wasn't locally available they placed an order to another fruitmarket, that fruitmarket filled the order... then the staff at the Packers residence only had one question:

Should we get it delivered via truck to the property or should we use the Helicopter to fly it in.

Yes we are not at all equal in our society. Your focus on Centerlink payments however is small fry. Become a failed Liberal party candidate and you can make far more money on the Administrative Appeals Tribunal?

Centerlink payments or 6 figure jobs, you tell me what's more "exclusive"?

The same place that it has since inception, in Section 51, and it was founded on the basis of skin colour.
I did not know this, and you are correct.

Also 59 and 60 could be considered racist, or at least granting favours to the queen.
I would gladly become a Republic just to get rid of those two sections alone.

I did not know this, and you are correct.

Also 59 and 60 could be considered racist, or at least granting favours to the queen.
I would gladly become a Republic just to get rid of those two sections alone.

I would agree and we could debate on more provisions, though I only referred solely to 51, as use of the actual word "race" there is unambiguous.

Edit: I would add that the wording of the amendment for the voice is equally unambiguous.

Last edited:
The same place that it has since inception, in Section 51, and it was founded on the basis of skin colour.
That clause has not been since inception, in 1967 it was amended to remove “other than the aboriginal race in any State,“..

personally I’d vote yes to remove Section 51 xxvi and I’d vote no to add any more clauses separating race.

That clause has not been since inception, in 1967 it was amended to remove “other than the aboriginal race in any State,“..

personally I’d vote yes to remove Section 51 xxvi and I’d vote no to add any more clauses separating

Hahahahaha, the clause has been there since inception. The amendment related to particularly removing the state bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back