Penalty to Eels at the end

Yep...still fuming about that call and yes, Bula clearly interfered.
Until we start winning more games, we aren't gonna get the rub of the green on these decisions.

I think where there is a game decisive rule in the final minute of any game, the bunker should intervene...however somehow I don't think the Bunker would've over ruled either unless Bula had taken a fall from the contact.

Thank god it wasn't the decider in the end....

i have never seen a team lose in this fashion …other than the Tigers v Cowboys … and I’ve been watching the game 40 years
You’re kidding right? There’s been heaps of last minute penalty shots given to teams to win over the years. Don’t ask me to list them, I’m not David Middleton, but I know I’ve seen them happen, and not only to us.

You’re kidding right? There’s been heaps of last minute penalty shots given to teams to win over the years. Don’t ask me to list them, I’m not David Middleton, but I know I’ve seen them happen, and not only to us.
Well off the top of my head, Brisbane Broncos got a shocker of a penalty to beat us in extra time (markers not square supposedly) and Canberra twice in the same season for dubious penalties.

Well off the top of my head, Brisbane Broncos got a shocker of a penalty to beat us in extra time (markers not square supposedly) and Canberra twice in the same season for dubious penalties.
Several years ago I remember North Qld copping a shocker, twice I think, in finals matches that saw them lose both games and bow out. I have visions of JT blowing up deluxe lol. Pretty sure the Warriors have been dudded on the bell before as well, the Dragons in a game last season also.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Several years ago I remember North Qld copping a shocker, twice I think, in finals matches that saw them lose both games and bow out. I have visions of JT blowing up deluxe lol. Pretty sure the Warriors have been dudded on the bell before as well, the Dragons in a game last season also.
Yeah they got some shockers.

Papali was off side the penalty was fair I thought, ice should not have played at the ball.
yep the offside is correct. The Bula taken out/disrupter is subjective. The case for a penalty is certainly there, as is the case for the Eels actions being fine.

2 disruptoras, the one on Tupou & Bula in the end...
Pushes away at Papali'i and then grabs Bula smh.
on the other hand thought we could have had one
go to the bin in that 2nd period for the repeated
infringements - they were flopping a bit too, and
probably should have been called 4 offside once
or twice but c'est la vie. Interesting we has a slightly
quicker play the ball. Stats are skewed. So much heart!
Im not sure you can easily say something is/isn't a disrupter. There was a ruling over the weekend (i cant recall which game sorry) where the comms were blowing up about a disrupter penalty not being called. The ref was questioned on field by the captain. The refs response was something along the lines of it is not a disrupter due to the chasing player being within the drop zone of the ball. When the rule was outlined by Annesley at the start of the year he said it was a case by case basis and the referee has to be of the opinion there was no genuine attempt to contest the ball. The way the rule is it is always going to be a crap shoot at best.
For mine i thought the Tupou one was a disruptor the Bula one was not. But id guess thered be varied opinions on every kick chase.
*having just rewatched the video from the preseason im not sure either are, or if one was then the Bula one was and the Tupou was not, as he ended the video with "if there is to be contact between them (the chaser and catcher).

Last edited:
I just watched it very carefully now. Firstly Ice is interfered with, Parra guy has his arm over his shoulder. Bula doesn’t get a clean shot. Ball appears to be knocked out by the Parra player, ball bounces. Silvo touches the ball with his right hand, Ice regathers. Never a penalty to them.
So Y are you suggesting it was a made up penalty by the ref to give Parra a chance to win ?
Sounds like a setup, do you think money may have changed hands ? Is that referee an unreliable person who favours certain teams ? Perhaps you may have evidence of his dishonesty .
Or is it just what the officials thought they saw ? And we just happened to be on the end of it. I remember there was a lot of discussion about Kleins involvement in the NQ fiasco.
Did we ever clarify if he was actually a cheat who presented the game to them ?
I haven’t seen any official word but you may have more info.
Hey, all I’m saying if it wasn’t a penalty why was it awarded after our infallible bunker had checked it out.

This is exactly how I saw the game.
Yeah ref was good, except missing the disruptor penalty in the 79th and also missed it at the 47th min when he judged Junior knocking on from the bomb instead. The ensuring set then lead to the Galvin sin binning. 2 sliding door moments… they still won and they wouldn’t have last couple of years. Finally, beating 14 players

People were claiming during the match that the Tupou drop was a disruptor penalty plain as day. I agree with @gregjm87, there was no contact and the attacker was trying to catch the ball. No penalty. Tupou should have leapt for it.
As for the last kickoff, Bula was contacted by Harper before the ball got to them. Irrespective of whether Harper was going for the ball, Im sure that rule came in for this type of instance.

Well quite simply it wasn't a Parra Penalty. It was a Disruptor attempt to stop Bula from catching the kick. The ref didn't just err he clearly made a crooked decision. - every other day of the week it goes against the Eels player. He could have sent it up to the bunker but chose to stab us in the back!
Clarification - Refs know when teams can't challenge so they know THEIR decision seems FINAL. That is why these types of game-deciding moments need a lesson from Cricket - Umpires referral to The Video Review. How bloody hard would that be?

Can someone do a welfare check on The Klown? Sure he has been hiding in the box trying to disallow WT's tries with obscure rules and interpretations, but we have not witnessed a short or long whistle since the "rort of the century" on 24 July 2022. How do we go 37 rounds and counting without a solitary Klown sighting?

I just watched it very carefully now. Firstly Ice is interfered with, Parra guy has his arm over his shoulder. Bula doesn’t get a clean shot. Ball appears to be knocked out by the Parra player, ball bounces. Silvo touches the ball with his right hand, Ice regathers. Never a penalty to them.
My thoughts exactly.

Back