OFFICIAL Pathways - KOE General Discussion

The more & more I think about it, I think the club is using this year as a bridging year for the likes of Miller, TDS, Faagutu, Lauliliis, Mason, Saukuru, Craig, Sukkar to just get them used to playing men. Then next season will be a big year for them to ply their trade in NSW Cup and make NRL only when their form warrants.

Here is a little forecasting into '25 ...

NRL
Bula
Staines
Turuva
Olam
Naden
Galvin
Luai
Papaali
Bateman
Fainu
Stefano
Api
Klemmer
---
Pole
Twal
Sezer (to be utility hooker/half)
Matamua

NSW CUP
Mason
Laulilii
Feledy
Saukuru
Lobb
Fainu
Sullivan
Kit Laulilii
Tumeth
Sukkar
Seyfarth
TDS
Miller
---
Faagutu
Sione Fainu (reckon we'll sign him on a T&T for next season)
Broederlow
Cayne Nicholas

Then when injuries & form permit, we'll have Navren Willett, Sione Vaihu (T&T) & hopefully Bailey Hodges & either Aho or Tofaeono on Cup contracts (as they will be 22 next season and don't want to lose these 3).

Couldn't fit Starford T'oa into the above so I'm letting him explore his options lol
Can't see Sezer or Matamua being on the bench in 2025; and where is Latu Fainu?

For Cup, need to aim higher than the likes of Sione Vaihu. The other names seem solid though.

Can't see Sezer or Matamua being on the bench in 2025; and where is Latu Fainu?

For Cup, need to aim higher than the likes of Sione Vaihu. The other names seem solid though.
If Sezer can be persuaded into becoming a utility next season, his experience and direction would be invaluable off the bench to relieve Api. No room for Simpkin currently and I think Sezer would be a better dummy-half than Sullivan.

Am hoping Matamua keeps getting reps & long minutes this season, then a big pre-season, next year could see him rocket!

Vaihu just on a NSW Cup contract is fine. I just think we'll prioritise home-grown players than recruits.

The more & more I think about it, I think the club is using this year as a bridging year for the likes of Miller, TDS, Faagutu, Lauliliis, Mason, Saukuru, Craig, Sukkar to just get them used to playing men. Then next season will be a big year for them to ply their trade in NSW Cup and make NRL only when their form warrants.
I think you're right. expose them to playing men this year and dealing with the week to week grind before springboarding into preseason 2025 and beyond. I'm hopeful we can see a change in the win-loss column towards the back end of the year.

Here is a little forecasting into '25 ...

NRL
Bula
Staines
Turuva
Olam
Naden
Galvin
Luai
Papaali
Bateman
Fainu
Stefano
Api
Klemmer
---
Pole
Twal
Sezer (to be utility hooker/half)
Matamua

NSW CUP
Mason
Laulilii
Feledy
Saukuru
Lobb
Fainu
Sullivan
Kit Laulilii
Tumeth
Sukkar
Seyfarth
TDS
Miller
---
Faagutu
Sione Fainu (reckon we'll sign him on a T&T for next season)
Broederlow
Cayne Nicholas

Then when injuries & form permit, we'll have Navren Willett, Sione Vaihu (T&T) & hopefully Bailey Hodges & either Aho or Tofaeono on Cup contracts (as they will be 22 next season and don't want to lose these 3).

Couldn't fit Starford T'oa into the above so I'm letting him explore his options lol
Trouble is that's still confined to the same limited pool lacking talent .Matamua been on the books 3 years and doesn't look like making it
I want someone with an eagle eye for talent who looks beyond our borders
Eg:Storm lose Papenhausen and guess what they have a kid named Sua Faalogo WOW
this kids a star !
Admit weve come up with 2 Bula and Galvin
However we really lack quality depth
We can put a reasonable 13 on the park but our bench is weak and our reserve grade is way way below par

Trouble is that's still confined to the same limited pool lacking talent .Matamua been on the books 3 years and doesn't look like making it
I want someone with an eagle eye for talent who looks beyond our borders
Eg:Storm lose Papenhausen and guess what they have a kid named Sua Faalogo WOW
this kids a star !
Admit weve come up with 2 Bula and Galvin
However we really lack quality depth
We can put a reasonable 13 on the park but our bench is weak and our reserve grade is way way below par
I first suggested we sign Faalogo about 3 years ago. He single handedly got a draw against Balmain in an SG Ball game, think he got 24 points including 2 field goals.

These are the sorts of juniors we need to target. X factor, players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and with the talent and physical attributes to make a real difference.

Looking at our cubs squad there are still no backs with x factor, anyone who stands out from the pack.

I first suggested we sign Faalogo about 3 years ago. He single handedly got a draw against Balmain in an SG Ball game, think he got 24 points including 2 field goals.

These are the sorts of juniors we need to target. X factor, players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and with the talent and physical attributes to make a real difference.

Looking at our cubs squad there are still no backs with x factor, anyone who stands out from the pack.
Mason, Makasini ???

Have often mentioned that over the years....

If there's a player in Lower grades who's an out and out star - They're very easy to spot.
(Especially in the Spine)
Even the long term NRL Players usually stand out.

I think it's easy to forget how much fodder is in Lower Grades,
The percentage that go on from 20's to have an NRL career is alarming.
It maybe doesn't seem that way because we only pay attention to the few?
Even the ones that do kill it, Very few go on to have a decent 1st grade career....

Seen so many come through that would seem likely, to end up nowhere....

The Kid that won best and fairest in our 20's GF win (Mulcahy was his name, I think?)
He was the best player on ground, in the biggest game of the year for that whole comp...
Couldn't even get a 2nds contract the next year, Went back to Group 6 from memory?

Mason, Makasini ???
Mason has a bit of something, but he's still so small and not as skilled as someone like Walsh. He already got injured after a few Cup games too. He's got to work on his body.

Makasini has something, but he's one where i'm not quite sure how he'll progress. Crichton? or Star Toa. Both were gun centres in the Aussie schoolboys side a few years back, with size and a bit of speed. One kicked on, the other is still at the same level once he was playing men every week.

Last edited:

Totally agree BB we've got to look "outside the box " as the expression goes !

Back