Our forward pack

hybrid_tiger

On paper, I thought our pack looked decent at the start of the season. Not one of the best, but certainly not the worst.

How wrong was I?

Our forwards in the second half against the Dogs were a dead set embarrassment. Got absolutely bullied by a pack most would consider to be one of the worst in the comp. Pathetic.

And sadly, it's the senior players who are letting us down particularly Papalii, Bateman and Klemmer.

I'm afraid that not going for AFB was a big mistake, but regardless, we aren't going anywhere until we have a pack of forwards who can dominate.

It has to be a cultural thing. There is no way that a player like Papali’i can be a monster at Parra, then come here and be a powder puff. You could say that it’s just Ice being lazy, but Klemmer and Bateman have been equally ineffectual. It’s why I’m skeptical when people single out a guy like Sua. As if he’d be any different coming here. Even Angus, as much as he has come to life, idk if he’d play like that here. There is something in our culture that sends players backwards. The only one who has found immunity to it is Api.

It has to be a cultural thing. There is no way that a player like Papali’i can be a monster at Parra, then come here and be a powder puff. You could say that it’s just Ice being lazy, but Klemmer and Bateman have been equally ineffectual. It’s why I’m skeptical when people single out a guy like Sua. As if he’d be any different coming here. Even Angus, as much as he has come to life, idk if he’d play like that here. There is something in our culture that sends players backwards. The only one who has found immunity to it is Api.
Its a culture of zero accountability and no depth/shit roster. Players like, Brooks can play like shit for 10 years and never be dropped. Zero talent players like AJ get a run. Players would sign at the tigers for a pension contract. Ice, Klemmer, Stef, Batemen all need a rocket and a few weeks playing park footy, get the hunger back to be a privileged 1st grader with all the $$ perks or go be a concreter. Wont happen. Its a culture of zero accountability.

Our forward pack is built around the dummy half getting forwards onto the ball. Yesterday showed you the value of Api to the team against a rushing defence. We do the simple things wrong don’t get up and play the ball fast enough, one up hit ups without support, lack of offloads. It’s easy to praise one week and hammer them the next but it’s a team effort.

What we lack are power runners with speed out of dummy half it’s the only way you can combat a rushing defence. Ideally you need one on both sides of the field. Turuva does it well but we need another winger/centre that can motor with power.

The game yesterday was lost that first 20 minutes of the second half ..

There was very little energy and urgency…

Not sure which forwards were on the field during that time ..

However … I think it’s reasonable to say that the three forwards mentioned in the first post were not major positive influences over the course of the game … which is a concern considering they are the three most experienced forwards for us …

Im not feeling too good about any of the three beyond this season .. and two of them are signed for a further two years …

Another concern is that there is no one currently on the team that I could see replacing them in the starting side in the short term … that is the next 12 months … I don’t have the answers … I hope Benji and Richo do …

the answer is they secure a well paid multi year contract with guaranteed extra weeks off at the end of the year.
No incentive,
But more seriously our depth is piss. Like literally there is no one worthy of a first grade jumper outside about 15 players in our squad. No competition for spots regardless of what news the club wants to try and sell to you.

We can't score on edges. Let's start with big aggressive middles who can score tries or assist them. Problem is these players are in high demand and we need to pay massive overs.

It's mainly that our second set of props are a long way off. Sure papalii and our starting props don't look that great, but they don't get dominated.

We need either Stef or Klemmer playing 60 to fix this. And if the club thinks matamua can handle it they should put him onto an edge and move Papalii to a bench prop rotation. If not matamua, I'd move Bateman back to the edge and look at someone like simpkin as lock.

Stef 60 mins
Klemmer 40
Papalii 40
Pole as impact prop 20-30

We need more agility on the edge and more strength in the middle. Fainu has the other edge locked up, though he definitely gets tired as well. Hopefully my change would solve it.

Bulldogs pack is individually ordinary, but they have line speed and fitness and used the Penrith model of rushing up successfully. They've done this well against good forward packs already.

Probably right mate , but I feel Benji isn’t coaching his own way he still,uses players as Sheens did , Papi was a beast at Parra , he did half the tackles he does hear , sheens made him a defender cause we leaked points bad some games over 40 tackles , he needs to do about half that and be played as a ball running line breaker , Appi was given free range and hasn’t changed his style so he is going well , Bateman keeps getting moved Lock , centre , Backrow , leave him on the edge ( Right side ) , Pappi left side and go buy a solid lock , pole aint the answer he’s a prop / Back rower if needed , Twal and Seyflop are just bog average we need them replaced with quality

Latest posts

Members online

Back