Oliver Gildart Commits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roar_Power

Wests Tigers secure Oliver Gildart
(WT website)

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm the signing of England and Great Britain international Oliver Gildart for the start of the 2022 NRL season.

The two-year deal will see Gildart join Wests Tigers at the end of the 2021 campaign and remain with the club until at least the end of the 2023 NRL season.

A product of Wigan’s youth system, Gildart made his Super League debut while on loan for Salford in 2015 before returning to the Warriors later that year. The talented outside back featured in consecutive Grand Finals in the ensuing two seasons — clinching the 2016 title as well as the 2017 World Cup Challenge — before producing a stellar individual campaign that saw him named as the Super League Young Player of the Year in 2017.

Selected to make his international debut for England in 2018, the 24-year-old Gildart joins Wests Tigers with three Tests caps to his name and an impressive try-scoring record, having crossed for 61 tries in his 129 career games for the Wigan Warriors.

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire said he was looking forward to working with Gildart.

“Oliver is coming from a very strong and successful club in Wigan and has already played in a number of big matches throughout his career,” Maguire said.

“We’re looking forward to him bringing his experience and talents to our squad in 2022 and watching him take the next step forward in his rugby league career in a Wests Tigers jersey.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe welcomed Gildart’s arrival to the club.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to say how pleased we are to welcome Oliver to our squad,” Pascoe said.

“Oliver is clearly a talented footballer who has played at an international and representative level already in his career, and we are looking forward to watching him improve further in the NRL at Wests Tigers.”

![screenshot_20210529-060926_instagram.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1622233579293-screenshot_20210529-060926_instagram.jpg)

He's so good, he needs his own thread.

One thing, lads... this guy will bring to the club is definitely:

* Professionalism, when it comes to the haircuts. Brits do not mess around when it comes to their hair. Weekly barber shop visits is routine and he'll definitely elevate our culture around keeping that hair tidy and trim. Some where we have been lacking on field for years.

Welcome O-Gil, Darty, O'Dart, Oli, Gilly, etc

More good news this weekend.

Great move posting it 6am on a Saturday. The media hacks will be scurrying around trying to get something written and up while the fans are all over it haha

@the_third said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1375950) said:
More good news this weekend.

Great move posting it 6am on a Saturday. The media hacks will be scurrying around trying to get something written and up while the fans are all over it haha

I loved seeing the early post.
#HardWork

Dream, believe, achieve

![3880b385-552f-4a29-8591-9a63d3b2973b-image.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1622234295068-3880b385-552f-4a29-8591-9a63d3b2973b-image.jpeg) https://twitter.com/SuperLeague/status/833725099652022272

![36A3788B-33CD-47E6-AD72-990F2CC4F613.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1622235783913-36a3788b-33cd-47e6-ad72-990f2cc4f613.jpeg)

Good signing and look forward to having him here and think we can confirm the end of BJ a the tigers

@boonboon said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1375965) said:
Good signing and look forward to having him here and think we can confirm the end of BJ a the tigers

I see a spot in the squad for BJ, but on a reserve grade contract? Handy depth imo.
Not sure if he will have any takers anyway?

@roar_power said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1375938) said:
The two-year deal will see Gildart join Wests Tigers at the end of the 2021 campaign

That's a bit of an ambiguous statement. So when is he actually coming then?

@misfit138 said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1375976) said:
@roar_power said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1375938) said:
The two-year deal will see Gildart join Wests Tigers at the end of the 2021 campaign

That's a bit of an ambiguous statement. So when is he actually coming then?

Will be here for pre-season 2022

Welcome aboard Oliver. Hope you have a very successful NRL career with the Tigers.

welcome Oliver! fingers crossed he makes a fist of it. had the pedigree for sometime and unlike blokes like Hardaker and Watkins who came here too late, he's coming over here at 24. I'll back Hartigan and Madge here if they think he'll be able to make the switch. more often than not they've got it right.

Nothing like waking up to the news of someone signing with our club fantastic work WTHQ…Keep them coming .👏👍

For any that have Instagram, please don’t be like the toxic idiots on there that are commenting “he’ll just get homesick in a year” or something along those lines.
Not the type of stuff a new signing wants to see from so called fans.

Also we’re not Canberra. You can go to the beach here and actually see daylight

Wests Tigers snap up England centre Gildart
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 29 May 2021, 07:32 AM

The Wests Tigers have confirmed the signing of England international centre Oliver Gildart on a two-year deal, starting in 2022.

The 2017 Super League Young Player of the Year, who won the 2016 title and 2017 World Club Challenge with the Wigan Warriors, made his England debut in 2018 and has scored 61 tries in 129 matches for Wigan.

"Oliver is coming from a very strong and successful club in Wigan and has already played in a number of big matches throughout his career," Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire said.

"We're looking forward to him bringing his experience and talents to our squad in 2022 and watching him take the next step forward in his rugby league career in a Wests Tigers jersey."

Gildart will be joining Wigan teammate Jackson Hastings at the Tigers next season.

Nice having another Pommy in the team, hopefully he's as good as the last big signing we got from there

Gildart’s got some talent, just depends on how well he settles in and applies himself. Considering how well the best of British have gone in recent times in the NRL it provides some optimism. I don’t buy into the arguments it’s mostly the British forwards that do well, I think that’s just how things panned out in recent years. If British players are good enough, and willing, then they’ll succeed regardless of what position they play.

As for BJ, problem with him, like other big centre’s (Suli comes to mind), is that they’re only at their best and most effective once they’ve had half a season to build up their conditioning through match fitness, every game is crucial and by the time they’re playing their best, your season can be gone. We’re nearly into June and still BJ doesn’t appear to be where he needs to be fitness wise, and as he’s getting older and slower, it’s harder for him to reach the level of fitness he needs to be at.

His next contract (wherever that might be) will be chicken feed compared to what he’s use to. I think he should reinvent himself as an impact bench forward - short stints at the backend of each half using his power and skill. I don’t think he’s that effective anymore at centre, doesn’t have the pace, the club has wisely moved on.

@fletch said in [Oliver Gildart Commits](/post/1376046) said:
Gildart’s got some talent, just depends on how well he settles in and applies himself. Considering how well the best of British have gone in recent times in the NRL it provides some optimism. I don’t buy into the arguments it’s mostly the British forwards that do well, I think that’s just how things panned out in recent years. If British players are good enough, and willing, then they’ll succeed regardless of what position they play.

As for BJ, problem with him, like other big centre’s (Suli comes to mind), is that they’re only at their best and most effective once they’ve had half a season to build up their conditioning through match fitness, every game is crucial and by the time they’re playing their best, your season can be gone. We’re nearly into June and still BJ doesn’t appear to be where he needs to be fitness wise, and as he’s getting older and slower, it’s harder for him to reach the level of fitness he needs to be at.

His next contract (wherever that might be) will be chicken feed compared to what he’s use to. I think he should reinvent himself as an impact bench forward - short stints at the backend of each half using his power and skill. I don’t think he’s that effective anymore at centre, doesn’t have the pace, the club has wisely moved on.

Why is BJ still a Center?

Honestly why?
He can cross the line. He is as big or bigger then most forwards, but lacks that speed/pace to be able to defend in a Critical way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back