NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series

@Spud_Murphy said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255147) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255134) said:
@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255118) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255076) said:
If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace

I think "If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace" OUR National Anthem.

Are we not all Australians, or only some of us, or only on certain occasions.

If the indigenous players do not want to sing the National Anthem - then they should stay in the sheds until the Anthem has been sung - that way they won't be disrespectful to the Athem or offensive to the majority of Australians that DO respect it.

It’s not OUR national anthem and excludes an important part of our community.

When we have one then we can expect all Australians to respect it

The one the Seekers wrote is by far the best one and more reflective of all Australians, imo. I think they should change it to that, Advance Australia Fair is quite uninspiring really.

Man I hate that song lol

@Harvey said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255132) said:
Does anyone know of any of the betting agencies offering odd on Anthem protests?

What price someone takes a knee?

I reckon Winx odds $1.04 we have someone from nsw take a knee

@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255141) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255134) said:
@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255118) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255076) said:

I think "If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace" OUR National Anthem.

If the indigenous players do not want to sing the National Anthem - then they should stay in the sheds until the Anthem has been sung - that way they won't be disrespectful to the Athem or offensive to the majority of Australians that DO respect it.

Who's National Anthem is it? Iceland, Ukraine, Brazil.......?

You say " it excludes an important part of our community" how? is that community you speak of Australians or not?

And while you are on your high horse you might like to ponder a couple of facts.

This community did not just miraculously appear here ... they came and they took, just the same as the first white settlers did.

The stolen generation was also white as well as black.

Australians (through our PM / Government (at the time) said SORRY to all the indigenous people of this land.

When is it going to be enough?????

Obviously not until everyone that is not termed indigenous leaves these shores and takes all our 212 year history and material rubbish with us.

However - you cannot change the past ..... your solution is what??

The National apology was a good start but was really just affirmation that the Australian state admitted culpability on behalf of the Australian people. It was the start of the process but certainly not the end.

You’re asking what the solution is, it involves a national conversation about the anthem, the flag and Australia Day.

There’s no question that this will happen probably when Australia becomes a republic and constitutional questions are back on the table.

@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255139) said:
@Harvey said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255132) said:
Does anyone know of any of the betting agencies offering odd on Anthem protests?

What price someone takes a knee?

I hope they do take a knee if only to see Pauline Hanson’s head exploding.

To paraphrase an old saying "If brains where dynamite Pauline couldnt blow the wax out of her ears"

@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255141) said:

You say " it excludes an important part of our community" how? is that community you speak of Australians or not?

And while you are on your high horse you might like to ponder a couple of facts.

This community did not just miraculously appear here ... they came and they took, just the same as the first white settlers did.

Australians (through our PM / Government (at the time) said SORRY to all the indigenous people of this land.

Obviously not until everyone that is not termed indigenous leaves these shores and takes all our 212 year history and material rubbish with us.

this 'division' is created by neo Marksists e.g. the BLM, and Aboriginals are used as their convenient PC vehicle. Under their sheepskin, the BLM has a totally different agenda and will sacrifice Aboriginals faster than you can say AOC! :angry:

@InBenjiWeTrust said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255161) said:

this 'division' is created by neo Marksists e.g. the BLM, and Aboriginals are used as their convenient PC vehicle. Under their sheepskin, the BLM has a totally different agenda and will sacrifice Aboriginals faster than you can say AOC! :angry:

Dear oh dear oh dear.

@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:
@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

Very well said Lauren, in fact I would be more disappointed if they didn't use their position to bring attention to those issues and to be a voice for those without one. I do feel that they need to do a better job of making clear their reasons for not wanting to sing the Anthem.

I feel that this protest against singing the anthem is disrespectful against Australia, because the anthem is supposed to represent Australia. The act of singing the anthem is an act of respect. It's a tribute to Australia. And Australia is a great lucky place to live within. We have a lot of problems, get a lot of things wrong, have done a lot wrong in the past, all true, but we're still a great country. Singing the anthem is showing respect to our country. A person/player doesn't even have to sing it really, doesn't even have to move their lips, just show some respect, stand there respectfully. Don't stand there with an aggressive defiant expression.

I'm happy for people to change the anthem, that's fine, whatever's best for everyone, no worries at all, but in the meantime, go about that process of change respectfully, because a lot of this protest comes across as entitlement, and arrogance, and that's just stirring the pot.

@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255180) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:

Very well said Lauren, in fact I would be more disappointed if they didn't use their position to bring attention to those issues. I do feel that they need to do a better job of making clear their reasons for not wanting to sing the Anthem.

Or it could be a case of others needing to do a "better job" of being open to listening and considering their reasons. Thing is it is often those that like me were born prior to aboriginal Australians being given the right to vote, that continue to attack them for their feelings on just about any issue.

@formerguest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255193) said:
@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255180) said:

Very well said Lauren, in fact I would be more disappointed if they didn't use their position to bring attention to those issues. I do feel that they need to do a better job of making clear their reasons for not wanting to sing the Anthem.

Or it could be a case of others needing to do a "better job" of being open to listening and considering their reasons. Thing is it is often those that like me were born prior to aboriginal Australians being given the right to vote, that continue to attack them for their feelings on just about any issue.

I do agree mate and completely respect their choice not to sing, though when you see some of the comments about them not singing it appears their message is not getting through. So being very clear about the reasons behind their actions at every opportunity is crucial if you want to elicit a true dialogue leading to change.

Very well said Lauren, in fact I would be more disappointed if they didn't use their position to bring attention to those issues and to be a voice for those without one. **I do feel that they need to do a better job of making clear their reasons for not wanting to sing the Anthem.**

Thankyou and absolutely agree.
I'm not sure if they got caught up in it all, but was disappointed to see they weren't vigilant with those particular causes I mentioned. As whether I could actually help in anyway or not, I don't mind sharing awareness of them.

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.
Don't break the law and you'll have nothing to worry about IMO.

@hank37w said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255062) said:
Could you imagine a New Zealand Rugby or Rugby League player refusing to be respectful while their National Anthem was played or refusing to take part in a Haka.

You can call me a redneck or a racist, which is believe is a long way from the truth, but all I can say about it is:

Australia, Love it or Leave it!

If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace the indigenous culture, a bit like New Zealand do.

I’m sure the indigenous boys love Australia as much as you. They just don’t love an outdated, offensive and frankly rubbish song.

What specifically is offensive about our national anthem?

@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255219) said:
@hank37w said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255062) said:
Could you imagine a New Zealand Rugby or Rugby League player refusing to be respectful while their National Anthem was played or refusing to take part in a Haka.

You can call me a redneck or a racist, which is believe is a long way from the truth, but all I can say about it is:

Australia, Love it or Leave it!

If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace the indigenous culture, a bit like New Zealand do.

I’m sure the indigenous boys love Australia as much as you. They just don’t love an outdated, offensive and frankly rubbish song.

What specifically is offensive about our national anthem?

Having 85000 drunk Australians singing it ...apart from that nothing

Political correctness is funny to watch sheep following sheep.
Apart from that it is just laughable

@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.
So if you think that's acceptable shame on you.

@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255225) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.
So if you think that's acceptable shame on you.

That's all pretty hypothetical more so than fact-based.
Again, people are usually incarcerated for breaking the law. Shame on me for having that belief.

@kiwitiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255007) said:
@Aceshigh said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1254910) said:
Auatralians ALL let us rejoice, not just white , black , yellow of any particular race but ALL , it’s about time these bloody minorities quit the BS and stop dividing of the nation

I know. It's disgusting ?. As a wests Tigers fan what have I had to rejoice about? Think about us!
I want a few lines thrown in there about how unfair the nrl is to my team.

Maybe should be " What About Me " by Moving Pictures.

Back