Musgrove article

weststigers

Hmmm....CCTV indicates woman approached him and reciprocated.

One of her friends was a witness and refused to give a statement.

Adjourned until October

**Rugby league players Zane Musgrove and Liam Coleman plead not guilty**

NRL player Zane Musgrove has pleaded not guilty to assault charges placed against him following a night out in November, 2018.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-players-zane-musgrove-and-liam-coleman-plead-not-guilty/news-story/375a07ea3624c97f61efccd08a1f5f66

A woman felt like an NRL player was “trying to get down my throat” with his tongue before he and a friend groped her at a pub, a Sydney court has been told.

The 23-year-old said she was standing beside Zane Musgrove, 23, when he placed his arm around her shoulder and pulled her towards his face at the Coogee Bay Hotel in November 2018.

“He kissed me very aggressively. I remember feeling his tongue basically trying to get down my throat,” she told Waverley Local Court on Friday. “That’s what it felt like.”

But under cross-examination, the woman agreed CCTV appeared to show her approaching Musgrove.

The former South Sydney Rabbitohs prop has pleaded not guilty to aggravated indecent assault in company, indecent assault and common assault.

He had signed to play for Wests Tigers in 2019 at the time of the alleged incident but was later denied registration by the NRL.

Then-Penrith Panthers reserve grade player Liam Coleman, the 23-year-old son of Souths great Craig Coleman, has pleaded not guilty to aggravated indecent assault in company and indecent assault.

He left the Panthers after failing to secure a full-time contract for 2019.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, says Musgrove kissed her three or four times over about 10 minutes as the pair stood at the rear of a line to the bar.

“I just froze. I felt just because of the difference in size and strength, I went into a, sort of ride it out and get out of the hold,” she said. “I don’t recall saying anything.”

Coleman, standing nearby, then turned towards the woman, “launched forward with both his hands and put them on my breasts”, she told the court. He later told her “you have nice boobs” and said that implied she must also have “nice” genitals, she said.

She says Musgrove grabbed her breast briefly, and later thrust his pubic region into her hip.

During the woman’s evidence, acting magistrate Paul Lyon warned a large group of people in the public gallery about showing emotion, insisting people had to be able to give their evidence “unfettered without a commentary, giggling or otherwise”.

Under cross-examination from Musgrove’s barrister Phillip English, the woman rejected suggestions she kissed Musgrove, reciprocated his kisses or that he didn’t kiss with his tongue.

She was then shown CCTV video and agreed that when she approached the bar, the first person she approached was Musgrove.

“Do you accept you’ve gone up and approached him?” Mr English asked. “That’s what it looks like,” the young woman replied.

She said she couldn’t say how many drinks she’d had in the two-and-a-half hours before the incident.

The court heard Musgrove claimed “that’s bullshit. I’m being stitched up” when told by a police officer a woman had made a statement about the night.

Coleman, who later met police at Maroubra station, said he couldn’t believe he was being arrested.

The lead officer in the matter, Senior Constable Kelly Gatt, told the court one of the woman’s friends refused to give a witness statement, saying he was too busy and had nothing to offer.

The complainant told the court she pinched that friend while surrounded by Coleman and Musgrove, prompting him to turn and speak to the footballers.

Craig Coleman accompanied his son into the courtroom followed by a long line of friends including NRL hall-of-famer Bob McCarthy and boxing trainer Johnny Lewis.

The hearing was adjourned until October.

—AAP

Idiot signed a 3 year contract and would have been a regular first grader this year. Oh well, not our problem.

Surely there is more evidence to come. Based on that article I am wondering how he even got charged.

I think Musgrove has engaged the famous Sri Lankan defense lawyer Ramatoungadownathroata..

@Geo said in [Musgrove article](/post/1045165) said:
I think Musgrove has engaged the famous Sri Lankan defense lawyer Ramatoungadownathroata..

Craig McDermott tried to engage him but they had a communication breakdown and it fell through ....cost us a World Cup

As I always like to say " You will take your wife into your own hands if you come to my country "

@GNR4LIFE said in [Musgrove article](/post/1045124) said:
Idiot signed a 3 year contract and would have been a regular first grader this year. Oh well, not our problem.

Based on the article...it looks like he's been stitched up...curious as to why you've formed that opinion?

@GNR4LIFE Clearly a stitch up GNR..Police only lay charges to protect themselves now days..They fear repercussions.

I've spoken to a number of Police officers who are the first to admit they lay charges despite there being poor evidence.

@Milky said in [Musgrove article](/post/1045226) said:
@GNR4LIFE Clearly a stitch up GNR..Police only lay charges to protect themselves now days..They fear repercussions.

I've spoken to a number of Police officers who are the first to admit they lay charges despite there being poor evidence.

So you think it’s just ok to grab a woman at a bar and forcibly kiss and grope her whenever you feel like it?

@Spud_Murphy - that is a different issue. It doesn't sound like the evidence was strong enough to state that was what happened.

The biggest problem in modern law is that in cases where it involves women or children a male has to prove his innocence ....the law actually has changed even though it hasn't legally

@LeichhardtTiger said in [Musgrove article](/post/1045107) said:
Luke Coleman has been playing in Panffer NSW CC all year. If Zane did bad then why is

He’s probably on a CC contract

If that's all there is then I hope this woman sees jail time and Musgrove sues her for massive damages.
An example needs to be made of these wannabe groupies who then claim they were terrorised. If she approached him and reciprocated his advances then she needs to feel the full wrath of the law for publicing smearing an innocent man and costing him up to a million dollars.
Of course if there is more evidence which proves he did commit a crime then by all means he should be prosecuted accordingly.

@happy_tiger yes it does seem that you’re guilty unless you can prove your innocence

If he get off this is going to get interesting, he had a 3 year deal signed but not registered. I wonder whether he can claim some form of compensation off the woman and potentially the NRL.

I wouldn't think approaching and kissing gives consent to "touching breasts" and "thrusting pubic region". anyway, it's a gray area.

NRL isn't going to compensate him- guilty or not. The guidelines are clear. The only way he'll get anything is through a counter suit.

Innocent till proven guilty only applies in court- not in social and public media. As I said, there is no black and white.

Looking like another NRL mess up.

NRL punishing the lesser name players while ignoring the favoured clubs.

Back