Mid Week Competitions

Ha... no don't remember that one, knowing Neil he probably skulled it.
You can't quote me on the venue but this made the papers apparently.
A fencing mate of mine who played for St George around the same time as Neil, told me that whilst Neil was on the drink one night he took a schooner glass of beer into the toilet and put it on a low ledge so he could wee.
Someone saw it and did the deed in the glass whilst he wasn't looking. When Neil went back outside he had a drink and realised what had happened. You could imagine the outburst.
When my buddy was out on the drink another time he saw Neil in the toilet and my mate said, "hey Neil, do you want me to fill your glass up" Neil threatened to punch him.
True story but the exact details have been dampened in case your eating 🤣

They were great comps but wow those players were flogged back then. I remember blokes playing 4 games in a week. The early rounds were the best. Norths v Port Moresby Vipers or Combined Brisbane v Cronulla, Manly v Qld Country!

I remember the Magpies winning it in 1977 from memory. The next weekend they got absolutely flogged. Apparently Tommy and the boys had been on the drink every night after there Amco cup victory. From memory I think the flogging they received was at Pratten Park.
I have a full replay of that game - was recently put up on facebook.

I remember the Magpies winning it in 1977 from memory. The next weekend they got absolutely flogged. Apparently Tommy and the boys had been on the drink every night after there Amco cup victory. From memory I think the flogging they received was at Pratten Park.
Yeah it was Pratten, I was there ...12 years old and I was so excited to finsally see them play there it was my first tiem...lived walking distance away not far from the club...Dragons trounced us

I was there in 77 with my old man and cousin....we were in the old stand at the end thats been demoilished a while back...was right in line with Fairfax lining up his final kick at goal that woouldve won it for them
Watched it at home with Dad and Mum a few other relos - when Easts scored i let out a string of expletives. I don't think anyone had heard me swear before as the room went silent. My Dad wasn't impressed.

I was there in 77 with my old man and cousin....we were in the old stand at the end thats been demoilished a while back...was right in line with Fairfax lining up his final kick at goal that woouldve won it for them
The pass Beetson threw to Faifax when he scored had to be about 2 metres forward. Even the refs today would have picked it up.

I was at both games. I was turning 21 later that year and the only good thing about the Pratten Park game was I had taken a trifecta that day which got up. All my mates were wondering why I was cheering while the Magpies conceded another try. I still remember the winner was called Bilgola Boy. With the winnings I was able to take myself off to Tahiti for 2 weeks for my 21st. I also lived within walking distance to the ground, but the Croydon Park side.

Back