Luke Brooks #167

The shear amount of Luke Brooks emotion I have felt over the last decade has obviously fried my brain to the point that my bias overwhelms me when I watch him play.

Because I genuinely think he was average to poor on the weekend and still can't understand why everyone was raving about him. I felt like I was being gaslight by the commentators. To me he missed key tackles, dropped the ball over the line, threw a ball into touch, his bombs were short of the try line, his grubbers didn't get into the in-goal. I felt like foxsports were so desperate for a storyline that they really over-exaggerated his involvement. The try at the end was good and he did run the ball well at times, but he has always had the speed to beat someone one on one and was doing that for us last year.

As someone who was terrified that Brooks was going to show how good her really was, I was very very whelmed by his performance and just didn't see the "masterclass" that Dan Ginnane was so wax lyrical about all night. After one game I still think the Tigers are better off without him.

It’s not about moving on.
People are genuinely interested to see exactly how good Luke is as a player. We saw small glimpses of proper talent during his stay with us. Is that all he has got or did this club truly ruin his career?
He has detractors and supporters that are both looking to say “I told you so”.
For that reason, he will remain a hot topic this season irrespective of whether this thread stays open. I suggest keeping it open so we don’t have 10 threads going on this topic.
Once some of our other known players left like Moses and Woods no one cared about how they went at their new clubs. Hell even Benji didn’t get mentioned as much once he left the club the first and second time around so personally I don’t see why we should keep discussing Brooks when we barely discuss the others that have left except when we do have to face them. We did see some glimpses, but we also saw inconsistency from Brooks. I still reckon we’ll see that from him at Manly, I didn’t see the game yesterday but from what of the others have said on here, sounds like it was the exact same as it was with us. Did some good with some bad and that’s just when he had a better game.

Once some of our other known players left like Moses and Woods no one cared about how they went at their new clubs. Hell even Benji didn’t get mentioned as much once he left the club the first and second time around so personally I don’t see why we should keep discussing Brooks when we barely discuss the others that have left except when we do have to face them.
Just dont click on the thread Glen its easy

Reactions: BZN
Once some of our other known players left like Moses and Woods no one cared about how they went at their new clubs.
Lol wrong. They were spoken about and ridiculed for years. Still are to some extent.
Hell even Benji didn’t get mentioned as much once he left the club the first and second time around
Yes he did. Go back through the records. His games for rivals, including Rugby Union were heavily debated/discussed.
so personally I don’t see why we should keep discussing Brooks when we barely discuss the others that have left except when we do have to face them.
The whole premise of your argument is incorrect. See what I wrote in an earlier post for reasoning on why he will be discussed this year.
We did see some glimpses, but we also saw inconsistency from Brooks. I still reckon we’ll see that from him at Manly, I didn’t see the game yesterday but from what of the others have said on here, sounds like it was the exact same as it was with us. Did some good with some bad and that’s just when he had a better game.
This is also wrong.
Luke was top 5 on the park yesterday in what was a good game of football.
He ran for over 100m, made 24 tackles at 92%, a line break, line break assist, 1 try scored and another missed as he couldn’t control it over the line, should have had a try assist with some brilliant ballplaying but Tom dropped the ball getting it down.…he looked dangerous with the ball and likely to bust them open on many occasions. In defence he was very solid and plenty was thrown at him. He also helped Cherry with the kicking.

To be honest. I just don't like his face. Got sick of it looking dumbfounded all the time. No amount of good bloke energy will change that.
I wish him the best at Mankly but I don't want see that head again.

Sorry guys, but I have been saying it fir years that brooks doesn’t have a brain. Now he has DCE and turbo to control the game. He’s third fiddle which suits him to the ground! Was always going to play well in that arena when no brain is required.
Funny though how the commentators once bagging him out as useless and not worth $400,000 now waxing lyrical about how good he is. Watch them now attack us on how it’s our fault he played poor.
Brook's as it turns out has shown over many years that he is not a 1/2 back, he's a running 5/8 with the backup of a good half back, and is now displaying once again the ability he has.

In a Las Vegas interview with Brook's, he admitted he was too shy to go over to his kick boxing? hero and ask for a selfie with him.

Brooks was never an organising half back as he is to quiet and shy to effectively tell other players what to do.
And that doesn't mean he has half a brain.
So why on earth have so many coaches over the years, tried to turn him into one.
If you try to change a person's personality, it's doomed to fail a big % of the time.
We can change very small parts of ourselves if we really want to, but putting someone into a high-pressure situation and forcing them to play something that is not natural to them just doesn't work mostly.

I'll be happy if Brooks has a great season.

I've been bagging brooks most the offseason and didn't expect him to play well. He was good. Manly created a lot of space out wide, I was surprised they were so dominant against Souths given I don't think manly has the best forward pack. Players ran off brooks well and they didn't need him to kick too much. Pretty perfect conditions for him.

He might have proven me wrong this time, but I still have my keyboard!

Even sheens saw it when he came back was trying hard to get a controlling half, Pearce, etc. says more about the douche bag coaches we employed. Mind u Cleary got the best out of brooks. It’s obviously hard to get a controlling half in the market. But we would have been better to get an old hat like sezer ti partner brooks years ago. Dumb coaches with no idea trying to reinvent brooks as a controlling half.
Again, why will you complain if the media has digs at us about how we used him? Because you obviously agree.

I can't believe how many Tiger supporters hope he goes well at Manly.
No matter how many people want to twist his departure he gave us the finger and hit the road.
Personally hope both him and Manly have crap seasons with the exception of Turbo ... who I want to see in a NSW jumper again

Don’t think he played any better with the eagle than he did with us his defence was the same and his running game was nothing to write home about

The shear amount of Luke Brooks emotion I have felt over the last decade has obviously fried my brain to the point that my bias overwhelms me when I watch him play.

Because I genuinely think he was average to poor on the weekend and still can't understand why everyone was raving about him. I felt like I was being gaslight by the commentators. To me he missed key tackles, dropped the ball over the line, threw a ball into touch, his bombs were short of the try line, his grubbers didn't get into the in-goal. I felt like foxsports were so desperate for a storyline that they really over-exaggerated his involvement. The try at the end was good and he did run the ball well at times, but he has always had the speed to beat someone one on one and was doing that for us last year.

As someone who was terrified that Brooks was going to show how good her really was, I was very very whelmed by his performance and just didn't see the "masterclass" that Dan Ginnane was so wax lyrical about all night. After one game I still think the Tigers are better off without him.
His haters have always enjoyed pointing the bonehead plays. halves normally have 40-50 involvements in a game minimum, I’m yet to see one who doesn’t stuff up a handful of times in a match, Cleary/Cronk etc included. Especially when you’re including whether or not a grubber lands on a dime. There were 3-4 poor moments from Brooks yesterday mixed in with 5-6 great moments and the rest he just did his role. What we will see this year is the bloke playing with freedom because DCE is the dominant playmaker and defenders have to honour other threats. When he made a mistake here, often we couldn’t defend it, and that’s a team issue as much as anything. I enjoyed seeing the bloke smiling personally and think he’s in for a big season.

Go Brooksy!

I think he has a very limited set of skills to be honest. He can surprise you in clutch moments but I don't think you can rely on him to give you a 7/10 or above for 24 rounds.

I think Seiboldt will be able to play Brooks to his strengths.

Go Brooksy!

I think he has a very limited set of skills to be honest. He can surprise you in clutch moments but I don't think you can rely on him to give you a 7/10 or above for 24 rounds.

I think Seiboldt will be able to play Brooks to his strengths.
He has had very very little experience in clutch moments. Tigers are usually well behind in the clutch moments.

Let’s not forget he has DCE to help him through those clutch moments.
Which every player should be able to say in elite team sport. I don’t think it’s a knock on him that he’ll play better in a good team. You probably put Luai in our team tomorrow and he struggles to make it work because it’d be stop Luai, stop Wests.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN
think Brisbane and Melbourne and Roosters have taken over that mantle
as an ex balmain fan fir me it is souths
It depends on the person I guess. You’re right in saying that Broncos, Storm and Roosters would be up there that other supporters hate, but a lot of fans still hate Manly besides their fans. Although Souths is another team as well.

Members online

Back