John Bateman #268

I like Batemans aggression, it's something we've lacked across the board for some time..
But he uses it incorrectly at the wrong time, when he's frustrated and things aren't going well... That's when he needs to start playing smarter and leave the aggro until things are back under control.
I think he thinks he's got this reputation to live up to, most of the time he just gets suckled in and the refs and opposition have the last laugh

Some of the best players have bad form at times....especially in poor teams that arent up to their standards...If people want to punt anybody,start with Benji for playing Bateman in the middle when his best FORM is on the edge...
Sezar was in the mix all game talking,questioning the ref and sorting the kicking game he showed more in one game than Brooks did in 10 years as a halfback when it comes to leading and organising...its hard when players of experience are mixed in with youth who are just getting started and dont know the complete workings of NRL....
The youth have to learn and if you know anything about the game,it frustrates the hell out of you when you know how to play at the top level and others dont..thats our problem,a majority of the team are still learning and this makes it hard for experienced players as well as the coaching staff..It will gradually come together but it takes time and losses,blaming certain individuals for the loss today is pretty poor.its a team game....
So does that mean you’ll eventually stop blaming Brooks?

I like Batemans aggression, it's something we've lacked across the board for some time..
But he uses it incorrectly at the wrong time, when he's frustrated and things aren't going well... That's when he needs to start playing smarter and leave the aggro until things are back under control.
I think he thinks he's got this reputation to live up to, most of the time he just gets suckled in and the refs and opposition have the last laugh
I cringed every time he went to Badger. If he wanted to improve his teams chances, there are other ways. When is Api returning?

I cringed every time he went to Badger. If he wanted to improve his teams chances, there are other ways. When is Api returning?
We left the field with our captains challenge in hand after the ref got 4 wrong might have something to do with his frustration when approaching the ref who's job it is to effectively and fairly enforce the rules and the captains job to challenge when they feel the ref got it wrong. Bateman 4 - Badger 0.

We left the field with our captains challenge in hand after the ref got 4 wrong might have something to do with his frustration when approaching the ref who's job it is to effectively and fairly enforce the rules and the captains job to challenge when they feel the ref got it wrong. Bateman 4 - Badger 0.
Its nice to have a win against the ref, but why pick a fight with her?

Its nice to have a win against the ref, but why pick a fight with her?
So you would prefer a captain who doesn't advocate for his team? The night before I watched Teddy at the ref badgering him about a decision far more aggressive than anything Bateman did last night. DCE, Foran both at the refs regularly in games because they are all competitive.

So you would prefer a captain who doesn't advocate for his team? The night before I watched Teddy at the ref badgering him about a decision far more aggressive than anything Bateman did last night. DCE, Foran both at the refs regularly in games because they are all competitive.
I’m just saying badgering the Badger is not as important as winning the game. If Bateman wants some tips he should watch Mahoney. When Mahoney gets involved he comes out of it smiling like a rat with a gold tooth. Bateman was into the ref from the whistle.

What a ridiculous statement. No player who makes 48 tackles likes losing.

Don’t know why anyone bothers with that clown. He was swinging the pom poms for Brooks his entire time here and blew Seyfart nearly every chance he got so that says it all about his ability to judge players.

just watched the replay - batmeman was literally defending his heart out - how on earth can you say he was the main issue here.... if we had half the blokes with his starch we would be top 8......what a yawn to get on his case...

just watched the replay - batmeman was literally defending his heart out - how on earth can you say he was the main issue here.... if we had half the blokes with his starch we would be top 8......what a yawn to get on his case...
Have to agree , he plays 80 minutes and tries his arse off every game , Papi , Klemmer , Stef , Twal , Seyflop all doing the same we go too 8 , we need to dump Seyflop for a hard running back rower ,and Twally , Hard running back rower and tough big prop , 1 x centre , then add The 2 buys from Penrith we go ok

So does that mean you’ll eventually stop blaming Brooks?
I was compareing Sezar who talks,yells and questions the ref during the game,when Brooks was more quiet in the role...
Nothing to do with blaming Brooks.he had his chance for 10 years with us.Aidens been here 10 games,,,,,

It's Brooks all over again. They only see the bad things he does, ignoring all of his good work.

I’m a Bateman critic, but I do believe our attack is better with him at 13 as he has demonstrated he can carry the ball at speed and has a nice crisp pass on him.
My issue is him for the full 80mins, our other 13’s are always given good rest periods throughout the game and he should be given the same to maximise his impact.

Last edited:
I’m a Bateman critic, but I do believe our attack is better with him at 13 as he has demonstrated he can carry the ball at speed and has a nice crisp pass on him.
My issue is him for the full 80mins, our other 13’s are always given good rest periods throughout the game and he should be given the same to maximise his impact.
I just wish hed cut out the dumb stuff especially when he is captain.

I'm in total disagreement regarding our attack I'm afraid. I think Bateman in the middle is really making life tough for our halves. His link play is shocking. It's so slow, predictable and his passes are clunky, often landing slightly behind the target rather then in front so the player can run on to it.

When you look at Bateman, on paper his skillset looks tailor made for a modern day lock. High workrate, good leg speed, skillful. However it just hasn't worked out like that for some reason. All the other middles, Pole, Seyfarth, Klemmer, even Twal have shown a better ability to engage the line and link up out the back with the halves. Bateman in the middle is killing our attack.

I snagged seats behind the tigers injured players at the dragons game earlier this year at Campbelltown

Noticeably Batemen was absolutely livid with how we were playing but all the younger guys I noticed were all happy and joyful (Galvin, Fainu and TDS)

He seems like a pretty emotional player and definitely shows in his performances when we are losing

We have found a new scape goat. From Brooks to Bateman.... you guys are good.....

A scapegoat would indicate he is being singled out …

I dont believe this to be the case … personally I would put Klemmer and Ice alongside him …

The three of them get paid a lot of money compared to the others on the team.. so expectations for these guys should be higher ..

Back