OFFICIAL Jersey Flegg Cup

This may be a bit of a hot take but I just I want to know if the boys that come down from QLD to NSW tend to get overlooked due to the players born and bred in NSW and coaches wanting to select their own? For example Herman Tofaeono has been a wrecking ball this year from what I've seen and cannot start and Chris Faagutu who was selected in this years u19s SOO is in the lineup on week then out the next, then goes from bench to starting back to bench? So I guess I'm just curious about that

PS don't all come for me at once I'm genuinely curious lol

Last edited:
That kind of stuff is common place....
Can't comment on these particular players, But will add....

If it's not happening,
It would be the first coaching team in history that DIDN'T play favourites....
That's a very valid point

A few people are saying that Faagutu should get a 1st grade run this year and if not then next year...so why is he on the bench of Flegg?
Certainly not this year. It’s a hot pack in Flegg right now. It’s probably about sharing the opportunities and workload. Faagatu is a good talent though.

Certainly not this year. It’s a hot pack in Flegg right now. It’s probably about sharing the opportunities and workload. Faagatu is a good talent though.
Thanks mate.
Who do you all see as making it in 1st grade? There's a few names that have been mentioned over the years but perhaps some have fallen off?

This may be a bit of a hot take but I just I want to know if the boys that come down from QLD to NSW tend to get overlooked due to the players born and bred in NSW and coaches wanting to select their own? For example Herman Tofaeono has been a wrecking ball this year from what I've seen and cannot start and Chris Faagutu who was selected in this years u19s SOO is in the lineup on week then out the next, then goes from bench to starting back to bench? So I guess I'm just curious about that

PS don't all come for me at once I'm genuinely curious lol
I just think our coaches have absolutely no idea what they're doing, there's no rhyme or reason for their team selections this year. All grades have been absolutely atrociously managed this year. And there's no one pulling the strings for our juniors, no one guiding them from u15s to the NRL. It's just ad hoc random selections by individuals (that's the only way it can be interpreted). Matamua will have played fewer mins this season than any since he was a young child.

Faagutu should be the first name on the team list, and should have started in round 1 of Flegg.
Ethan Strange is making his first grade debut this week for the Raiders, yet our star of the u19s Origin is on the bench in flegg, not due to form or fitness, purely due to team management. It's unprofessional and simply not good enough.
Herman should be playing flegg every week, he's been good, and i don't mind him coming off the bench at times as he is an impact player. He should probably have gotten a taste of nsw cup too. But when someone like Owen maintains a starting spot all season, ahead of the likes of Faagutu, Laulilii, and Hermann it just beggars belief. He's a solid player, but won't ever get close to first grade.

If we're not careful we'll piss off all of our precious juniors. Sheens was supposed to be overseeing this role, but anointed himself head coach instead and now the club is a rudderless mess.

I just think our coaches have absolutely no idea what they're doing, there's no rhyme or reason for their team selections this year. All grades have been absolutely atrociously managed this year. And there's no one pulling the strings for our juniors, no one guiding them from u15s to the NRL. It's just ad hoc random selections by individuals (that's the only way it can be interpreted). Matamua will have played fewer mins this season than any since he was a young child.

Faagutu should be the first name on the team list, and should have started in round 1 of Flegg.
Ethan Strange is making his first grade debut this week for the Raiders, yet our star of the u19s Origin is on the bench in flegg, not due to form or fitness, purely due to team management. It's unprofessional and simply not good enough.
Herman should be playing flegg every week, he's been good, and i don't mind him coming off the bench at times as he is an impact player. He should probably have gotten a taste of nsw cup too. But when someone like Owen maintains a starting spot all season, ahead of the likes of Faagutu, Laulilii, and Hermann it just beggars belief. He's a solid player, but won't ever get close to first grade.

If we're not careful we'll piss off all of our precious juniors. Sheens was supposed to be overseeing this role, but anointed himself head coach instead and now the club is a rudderless mess.
Yes Sheens & Benji should be directing this with an eye to the future. Every endeavour in regards to coaching & man management should be put in nurturing our identified pathways players.

It would be a disgrace if they are not given the amount of talk Sheens has made about the quality of our 16-18yos.

I'm hoping Benji really focuses on getting this coaching structure right now for the '24 pre-season.

I don't know Lambkin or Kenna personally so I can't comment on their coaching abilities but some fresh faces from winning cultures wouldn't go astray. I think Lambkin's long history with the club & rapport with our juniors through his Westfields days hold him in good stead.

Yes Sheens & Benji should be directing this with an eye to the future. Every endeavour in regards to coaching & man management should be put in nurturing our identified pathways players.

It would be a disgrace if they are not given the amount of talk Sheens has made about the quality of our 16-18yos.

I'm hoping Benji really focuses on getting this coaching structure right now for the '24 pre-season.

I don't know Lambkin or Kenna personally so I can't comment on their coaching abilities but some fresh faces from winning cultures wouldn't go astray. I think Lambkin's long history with the club & rapport with our juniors through his Westfields days hold him in good stead.
I would like to see Robert Mears coach the Flegg side and maybe Lambkin moved to something like a junior development concentrate on getting our juniors ready for first grade, working on parts of their game that are identified weaknesses.

Lambkins been shithouse with all due respect.
He's had a pretty good team to work with, and
regularly had 2-4 1st graders playing for him and
hasn't gotten much out of them I'm all honesty.
As @Sunnycoast_tiger said, he would be better
suited to a junior development role with the kids

Does he have to start? The middles are a rotation. It's about getting some balance with the 4 players on the field at any one time, as well as managing their minutes I would think.
Well you generally start with your better players and accommodate around them for that balance

I would like to see Robert Mears coach the Flegg side and maybe Lambkin moved to something like a junior development concentrate on getting our juniors ready for first grade, working on parts of their game that are identified weaknesses.
I'd like to see Lambkin take that junior mentoring role through the grades, rather than being a coach. He just hasn't delivered, albeit i think he's had some absolutely atrocious rosters to work with too - which isn't his fault.

Does he have to start? The middles are a rotation. It's about getting some balance with the 4 players on the field at any one time, as well as managing their minutes I would think.
He should be getting 50-60 mins a week at flegg level, so yes, he should be starting. Tofaeono is the impact player, he can come off the bench. At Flegg level Faagutu should be rotating through the pack - prop, second row and lock. Both his attack and defence are excellent for his age. Playing him off the bench only hinders his development - though he may be starting come the weekend.

Maybe they want to bring that pack through together. You can really regenerate a team doing that. Broncos did it the year before their spoon year. They debuted a lot of young players at the same time. Haas, Fifita, Flegler. and Carrigan all debuted around the same time. Of course, it all fell apart for them before Kevvie arrived.

I'd like to see Lambkin take that junior mentoring role through the grades, rather than being a coach. He just hasn't delivered, albeit i think he's had some absolutely atrocious rosters to work with too - which isn't his fault.
He’s a dinosaur get rid of him.

It cracks me up how everybody is saying how good our Juniors are and our forwards in the flegg side are "hot".
they are in 9th spot on the ladder i believe?.
It makes me think the 8 teams above must be very special.

It cracks me up how everybody is saying how good our Juniors are and our forwards in the flegg side are "hot".
Never believe your own publicity. I think that’s our problem, we continually rate teams / players better than they actually are.
If you listen to some of our key lower grade observers you would think we have gun players all over the place.
Case in point - Matamua, potential yes, but not really the gun we are led to believe.
I much prefer analysis by astute third party neutral observers. We’ ll know who the good ones by the outside interest moving forward.

Might have something to do with our best Flegg aged players all playing NRL and most of the best 18-19 year olds being held back.

Maybe that's because they've only started picking our best forwards over the past 6-7 weeks and before then refused to give them a run. We were pretty crap, and have been performing much much better since they got promoted from Ball. But we're too far behind to make finals.
And even then our better prospects have still largely been playing off the bench. The coaches don't trust them like coaches at other clubs trust their young guns.
Matamua barely played a game in the first half of the season. 18th man, or bench in cup etc, we stuffed up his development big time. But then he's also getting used to running like a big boy and passing like a half. Or maybe Sheens just didn't like his haircut, he chopped his fro and suddenly he was back in the 17.

Latest posts

Members online

Back