Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

@ said:
@ said:
Unless we extend Ivan we are still in a crap position as far as signing players to longer term deals goes.
The only way out for us now is to extend Ivan’s contract by at least 2 more years.
Otherwise we have to let him go.

Yep, I agree

We lose either way. He stays here because he is forced too and then links up with his son in 2 years. Or we extend his contract when he hasn’t done anything to deserve an extension.

The question that I ask is if the club did not put up a fight would Ivan Cleary have walked out on us to coach the panthers next year? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Who cares if he commits for the next two years. Seems like a total waste of everybody’s time. Pascoe said last year they did not want to let the season drift, so is he prepared to let the next 2 seasons drift? If he stays, good chance he’ll take players with him.

Well if the article from the brother in law is to be believed this is good for us.

A lot can change in two years. Doubt he will make it to Riff Andy if he does it will be in the back of two good years at tigers. We can all cop that, given the downward cycle since 2011

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Unrelated but Gould gets five more years at Penrith. Source smh

It’s now a ten year plan? Do you have the link?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gould-set-for-five-more-years-at-penrith-20180810-p4zwqk.html

Ah yeah, ‘earlier this year’. As you said unrelated and wouldn’t have any influence on the current situation. Makes you question IC’s state of mind even more though as he would’ve known this

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Sign up Maguire as coaching director now and don't release Cleary. Sack him once Penrith appoint a coach.

I LIKE THIS

Then have to pay his contract out DUMB

Id rather pay out his contract and let someone else handle our recruitment and retention than leave it with a coach who will be suffering with short timers disease.

Well good that he's staying. As for how long, I'd be surprised if he goes to Penrith while Gus is still there and let's face it, this week has been amateur hour from them, sack a coach who's gotten them into the finals 3 years running…....doesn't seem like he's "lost the dressing room", hell we've seen that, we've seen a player blatantly dog it in games no less.

Nathan says he doesn't want to leave Penrith........again, we've heard that before and the guys ended up signing elsewhere.

@ said:
Who cares if he commits for the next two years. Seems like a total waste of everybody’s time. Pascoe said last year they did not want to let the season drift, so is he prepared to let the next 2 seasons drift? If he stays, good chance he’ll take players with him.

What this whole saga shows is that we need to continue to build a robust club ($, junior development, opportunities, members) that treats everyone fairly and with respect. A place that makes players better and is successful. An administrative structure and leadership tha is able to maintain the strategic direction regardless of personnel changes. We are a much better place for Ivan but we need to keep developing our structures that stand the test of time.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
The proof is in the pudding, if Ivan signs an extension to his current deal then he’s serious but if he’s talking about just committing to his current deal then wow, gee whizz, cock-a-hoop, get down ——— NO, it’s an insult to our intelligence — seeya pretzel.

Ok but when everyone settles down, how is it different to how things were a week ago. Ivan has 2 and a bit years to go on a contract. It was a month ago everyone was emotional about the idea he was going to go to Broncos or Roosters. he still might but nothing has changed, He is with us for the next two years.

Too smart for us!! You are 100% correct.

I agree… if he wants to see out his contract what has changed .. there would not been discussions re an upgrade until next season is underway . If he does not want to continue with the club there is enough notice given to look elsewhere, I do not understand why many think the only solution is to upgrade his contract now.. that’s fools gold to me.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
This is my last post on Ivan Cleary because I’ve said everything that I wanted to.
I believe Ivan is now poison and anything he does at the tigers from now is just going through the motions, he tried to bring it all to a head for move to the panthers next year but things got out too soon and if the panthers are ok to wait until 2021 for him so they can keep Nathan then it will surely be a much more secretive deal written in blood between Ivan and Gus to bring that to fruition.
We are just delaying the inevitable if Ivan stays on which effects our ability to move forward and become a force.
We don’t have time to sit in a holding pattern for 2 years.
Nathan Cleary is young, he may end up with a career ending injury next week then the game will move on. Ivan led us to believe he could attract Nathan to the tigers but alas you can leed a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
Ivan’s integrity is shot, he will probably come out now and deny it all and take our pay Cheques whilst he plots future plans for the panthers and Nathan incognito.
**I have friends who are panthers supporters, they tell me they would take Brooks and we have Cleary because “Nathan Cleary is not taking the line on”.**
I thought the world of Ivan but the deafening silence of his behalf only enforces what I believe to be the truth.

Gotta agree with this.I am pretty sure if Brooks was in that current panthers side with their forward and cleary currently played for us Brooks would be origin half.However I really want Ivan to stay cause the guy is definitely the best coach we have had possibly in our short history.

Now we really getting into the world of pure fantasy

Because?

If true, all this confirms is that EVERY SINGLE MEDIA JOURNO knows no more than you and I sitting in our kitchen having a cup of tea.

All the so called 'my sources tell me' etc etc is complete crap and just clickbait.

@ said:
Who cares if he commits for the next two years. Seems like a total waste of everybody’s time. Pascoe said last year they did not want to let the season drift, so is he prepared to let the next 2 seasons drift?**** If he stays, good chance he’ll take players with him.****

I know you keep worrying about this, but you forget another coach might bring some players with him too. Besides, if the culture is strong enough and the team is travelling well, players might want to stay. I think Marsters was one of the guys you mentioned earlier, so if we are that worried the club could simply get upgrade his contract at the end of this year and extend so it doesn't coincide with Clearys' exit.

At this point, and we all know times can change, i think our board and club have done us proud and stood strong.

From a coaching perspective it means no more or less than where we were 2 weeks ago, except the health of many of us posters has taken a hit.

IC may not stay on beyond 2021 there was never a guarantee that he would. But 1 thing I'm certain off in my mind is that, Ivan want Mitch Moses it. The spot light is on him even more now to perform and if he doesn't he will go to the panthers (if true in 2021) knowing he is only getting that gig because of his son.

I believe it will have an impact on recruiting. Established first graders care who the coach is and the squad. Once you break into 1st grade your desire is play reps and win a GF. Brining players over on the lure of playing FG means your banking on potential.

I think it is a lot different to two weeks ago because we know what Cleary's intentions are especially if and when Nathan signs with Penrith on a four year deal. His priority will be then to get to Penrith asap.
What may foil that for him is if in the meantime their interim coach does a great job and they decide that they dont want or need Cleary anyway.

So Cleary will need to continue to perform well at the Tigers or he very well may not have a job either club in two years time.
Still think its all about securing Nathan and Gus killed two birds with one stone by getting rid of Griffin whom he was clashing with.

Back