IS IT TIME FOR PRIVATISATION

No, the members elect a board. Most clubs have historically operated under that model.
Doesn't seem to work to well for the Eels and Bulldogs, it creates more disfunction in my opinion and results in boards going for the quick fix.

Agree to disagree. Penrith has an elected board. They go alright.
Their Elections still create a lot controversy though, at their last election the Chairman was voted out. A Chairman of a premiership winning club not getting enough votes to retain his position.

That is not to mention a number of other issues over the years, they also have the situation where their football club board is also the leagues club board. A situation we would be well advised to avoid.

Is it? Until I see a simplified organisational chart I remain unconvinced but full of hope. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for the changes because I’m not. I want to see more independent board members who have their seat due to a meritorious selection process.
It Is still quite complicated imo

Their Elections still create a lot controversy though, at their last election the Chairman was voted out. A Chairman of a premiership winning club not getting enough votes to retain his position.

That is not to mention a number of other issues over the years, they also have the situation where their football club board is also the leagues club board. A situation we would be well advised to avoid.
Nearly every elected body is going to have some issues from time to time. It doesn’t mean you jettison democracy for unaccountability. I agree it’s better to have an advisable to have separate the football and leagues clubs. I saw the Balmain football club operate successfully and cooperatively for years.

Nearly every elected body is going to have some issues from time to time. It doesn’t mean you jettison democracy for unaccountability. I agree it’s better to have an advisable to have separate the football and leagues clubs. I saw the Balmain football club operate successfully and cooperatively for years.
Penrith have some really weird rules in regard to their board elections. Candidates are not allowed to campaign or even inform voters on why they should be elected; they are not a model to hold up as some bastion of democracy. To get on the Panthers board you put your name on the ballet and hope. That is why they literally lost the Chairman from their board, the guy that brought Ivan Cleary back to their club.

In this day of social media, you would end up with an idiot podcaster or someone with a social media platform on your board. A popularity contest is the last thing we need as it leads to board that is unable to make tough decisions, we need a highly qualified board that is appointed through a professional recruitment process. Yes their needs to be accountability but this is part of the process the club is going through now, we need a club for this century, not the last one.

I think the opposite. I think we need to move to a genuine membership-based club where paying supporters have a genuine say.
Agree about Membership.

I worry about voting.

we have seen when the fans run clubs like the dogs and Parramatta.

It becomes like politics where the elected officials only care about themselves and short term goals.

Appoint a capable independent Board who in large part are comfortable in staying out of the way so that Richo can implement the changes we desperately need. Hopefully that process is well underway. Rumour mongerers need not apply.

Penrith have some really weird rules in regard to their board elections. Candidates are not allowed to campaign or even inform voters on why they should be elected; they are not a model to hold up as some bastion of democracy. To get on the Panthers board you put your name on the ballet and hope. That is why they literally lost the Chairman from their board, the guy that brought Ivan Cleary back to their club.

In this day of social media, you would end up with an idiot podcaster or someone with a social media platform on your board. A popularity contest is the last thing we need as it leads to board that is unable to make tough decisions, we need a highly qualified board that is appointed through a professional recruitment process. Yes there needs to be accountability but this is part of the process the club is going through now, we need a club for this century, not the last one.
The proposition that democracy is inherently flawed is not something I can agree with. As things stand you either have a private ownership model or you have an elected board. We’ve moved from an indirectly elected board to people being appointed by the NRL and Wests Ashfield. My experience of the latter hasn’t inspired me with confidence.

Who exactly do you want to appoint directors? What do you consider a “modern” club setup? How are these people held accountable exactly?

Genuine questions.

Do the board members get paid?
Does an applicant need to be well known?
How does one submit/nominate legitimate candidates?
In short I believe the answers are yes, no and you can’t. You get to fund the club, you don’t get to say how it should be run.

Appoint a capable independent Board who in large part are comfortable in staying out of the way so that Richo can implement the changes we desperately need. Hopefully that process is well underway. Rumour mongerers need not apply.
Who appoints it though?

The proposition that democracy is inherently flawed is not something I can agree with. As things stand you either have a private ownership model or you have an elected board. We’ve moved from an indirectly elected board to people being appointed by the NRL and Wests Ashfield. My experience of the latter hasn’t inspired me with confidence.

Who exactly do you want to appoint directors? What do you consider a “modern” club setup? How are these people held accountable exactly?
To be honest, if it was my decision I would have HBG engage a recruitment firm to conduct a professional recruitment process based off a skills matrix to set up the board initially. After the board is established and running I would have the Wests Tigers Board appoint any replacements needed.

In terms of accountability, I would use the separation of the Wests Tigers board and the HBG board as that accountability by creating a mechanism where the Ownership group can remove an under performing board or board member.

The biggest issue with member voted board is it does not allow for long term planning, planning is limited to the term length .

The Wests Tigers are a private company.

To be honest, if it was my decision I would have HBG engage a recruitment firm to conduct a professional recruitment process based off a skills matrix to set up the board initially. After the board is established and running I would have the Wests Tigers Board appoint any replacements needed.

In terms of accountability, I would use the separation of the Wests Tigers board and the HBG board as that accountability by creating a mechanism where the Ownership group can remove an under performing board or board member.

The biggest issue with member voted board is it does not allow for long term planning, planning is limited to the term length .

The Wests Tigers are a private company.
How do you recruit if there is zero compensation?

As queried - surely there is an honorarium or it becomes even less likely to get professional people to give up their time to proactively serve on the Board?

Otherwise it becomes the old-school committee types who are content to turn up for the free feeds and game day hospitality without doing anything for the betterment of the organisation...

Back