Hurrell on the move?

marzie

Apparently Konrad Hurrell is being released and may join the Titans. What do you guys think of him? I think he's an awesome player such a damaging runner of the ball. If I were the Tigers I wouldn't certainly be making inquiries especially if the warriors are looking to offload him they would be paying some of his contract. I think a centre pairing of Hurrell and Simona would be deadly as

Source: http://www.zerotackle.com/hurrell-set-for-new-club-20955/#XIFCamwrLkMcJfjq.97

Warriors fan favourite Konrad Hurrell could be on the move, with rumours flying that he’s set to leave the New Zealand based club and join the Gold Coast Titans.

While nothing official has been announced from either club, the rumour is starting to gather momentum. It could also explain why Warriors coach Andrew McFadden didn’t name the stocky centre in his team for Round 1.
\
\
The Warriors reportedly gave Hurrell permission to look for a new club last October but at the time, he insisted his preference was to stay with the club
\
\
Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/hurrell-set-for-new-club-20955/#LluEo8OM0mO5l3Yf.99

imho, Hurrell is great attacking player, very strong and hard to tackle. However, his weakness is defence and especially his later movement is suspicious, Simona had a few good games against him,

@InBenjiWeTrust said:
imho, Hurrell is great attacking player, very strong and hard to tackle. However, his weakness is defence and especially his later movement is suspicious, Simona had a few good games against him,

Agree, his defence is very suspect. Also, hopefully he has changed his running style as he tended to lift his knees on impact with defenders. If he worked on his defensive shortcomings and came at the right price then he could be a good pick-up but I have serious doubts as to whether his defence will ever get up to NRL standard!!

@TopTiger said:
@InBenjiWeTrust said:

Agree, his defence is very suspect. Also, hopefully he has changed his running style as he tended to lift his knees on impact with defenders. If he worked on his defensive shortcomings and came at the right price then he could be a good pick-up but I have serious doubts as to whether his defence will ever get up to NRL standard!!

He seems a bit sluggish at times.

@Demps said:
Not the type of player we want or need.

Why? You want us to be underdogs forever?

Is his lack of tackling ability a reason that we shouldn't even go for him? No way.

It is rare to find top defensive centres who are also great attackers e.g. Matt Cooper and Mark McGaw never had quite the calibre in attack of Jennings, Inglis etc.
Hurrell is another one, kinda like Tuiaki, who let his attack to the talking while the lateral movement defensive frailties are forgiven because he is so damaging with the ball.
Our centres are nowhere near Hurrell. I want us to compete so he is exactly a player we need. Undoubtedly.

There was an article in RLW not too long ago about how he's been the best trainer at the Warriors, and is in the best shape of his life. If that's the case and the Warriors are still looking to move him on then there must be something further amiss, but that said I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Everyone at every club is in the best shape of their life during pre-season, every year…

The rumour was that he's signed with the Titans for the next 3 years in any case. Seemed like he wanted to fight for his spot but didn't get picked for round one so is taking the easy option. Although having Ayshford picked ahead of you suggests the writing is on the wall...!

Can see him becoming lazy up on the coast. Not the right club for him IMO. He needs a club which will keep in line in order for him to realise his potential...

@bigsiro said:
@Demps said:

Is his lack of tackling ability a reason that we shouldn't even go for him? No way.

It is rare to find top defensive centres who are also great attackers e.g. Matt Cooper and Mark McGaw never had quite the calibre in attack of Jennings, Inglis etc.
Hurrell is another one, kinda like Tuiaki, who let his attack to the talking while the lateral movement defensive frailties are forgiven because he is so damaging with the ball.
Our centres are nowhere near Hurrell. I want us to compete so he is exactly a player we need. Undoubtedly.

I just (personally) think he would be a bad fit for our club.

Would prefer a strong defender with speed…
Dean Whare type.

Another Simona would be nice.

@bigsiro said:
@Demps said:

I sort of agree, in that we are not a club who should be turning down recruitment opportunities too quickly.

Sure Hurrell has limitations, but it's not as if we have the coin to go signing up the Josh Morris or Will Chambers-es of this world.

Hurrell is an inconsistant footballer, playing on an inconsistant team.

And they dropped him for Ayshford.

That tells me that he isn't positively contributing to the consistancy level of that team.

And that is a bit of a worry, when you know you'd have to pay him pretty well…

Funny, I remember seeing him at Melbourne airport end of last year and thought it was him that walked past us. He was wearing a greenish looking jersey and I was thinking "why would Hurrell be wearing a green jersey?"

Then I saw highlights of him earlier in the night where he was playing for Fiji or Samoa or something…he obviously doesn't like to change clothes.

@Chadman's Ghost said:

That tells me that he isn't positively contributing to the consistancy level of that team.

Some one wit some sense!

TITANS RESPOND TO HURRELL RUMOURS
Facebook429Twitter
Written by GREG PRICHARD, March 3, 2016
WARRIORS centre Konrad Hurrell’s name was mentioned as a “possible option” to Gold Coast during the pre-season but nothing more has come of it, says Titans CEO Graham Annesley.

Speculation has been rife in the last 24 hours that Hurrell is about to split with the Warriors, where he was left out of the team for the first-round game against Wests Tigers, and join Gold Coast.

Hurrell’s management has reportedly denied the speculation and Warriors CEO Jim Doyle says the club is not in negotiations with Gold Coast over the player.

RLW approached Annesley for comment. He says: “The facts of the situation are that Konrad Hurrell’s name was presented to us as a possible option some weeks ago, but we have heard nothing further since.”

Asked if the Titans are currently in talks with Hurrell’s management about signing the player, Annesley replied: “No.”

Annesley did not wish to discuss the matter any further, but it has been clear for some time now that the Titans are in need of a quality centre following the departure of James Roberts to Brisbane during the off-season.

If Hurrell was offered to Gold Coast as a genuine, ready-to-move option, it would be likely the club would be prepared to negotiate.

But it remains to be seen whether that happens, with speculation Tongan-born Hurrell wants to stay at the Warriors at least until he qualifies for New Zealand citizenship in a few months and perhaps for good. Last year he re-signed with the club until the end of the 2018 season.

Hurrell has had an up-and-down time as a Warriors player, due to form and weight fluctuations.

Warriors coach Andrew McFadden praised Hurrell during the pre-season for the way he had presented himself and gotten stuck into his work, but chose Blake Ayshford as Solomone Kata’s centre partner for the game against the Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/titans-respond-to-hurrell-rumours/?adbsc=social_20160303_58901696&adbid=1091680347539874&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

@Demps said:
@Chadman's Ghost said:

Some one wit some sense!

I have heard Hurrell also has some off field issues such as partying untill late with friends…Watcher maybe able to fill us in,he seems to have a finger on the pulse over there...

When he is good he is very good, when he is bad he is on youtube!

If the tigers are serious about developing this club around a good positive culture where everyone contributes to the team I don't know if Conrad would be the right fit for this club. The club needs selfless, mature minded and hard working type players to lead the younger ones in the right direction. Similar to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA or the All Blacks you don't buy players just because they can play football. You also buy players on whether or not they will buy into the culture at the tigers. Whether the relationship will work.

@jirskyr said:
@bigsiro said:
@Demps said:

I sort of agree, in that we are not a club who should be turning down recruitment opportunities too quickly.

Sure Hurrell has limitations, but it's not as if we have the coin to go signing up the Josh Morris or Will Chambers-es of this world.

Tbh I disagree with this - given we're rebuilding, we need to be extra cautious with our recruiting decisions, especially with the mid-tier guys like Hurrell.
There's opportunity cost for each and every recruitment decision, so we definitely shouldn't just be rushing into grabbing someone just because they happen to appear on the market.

Latest posts

Back