How to Quote and Reply

Kul

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Leader
Hey everyone.

We've had complaints from some users that they can't follow discussions because they want to see the original quote that they might be responding to. All replies and linked back to original posts, so you can trace the full history of a conversation within a topic.

Me, personally, I don't like pages and pages of embedded quotes as it gets cluttered, but there are times where displaying one or multiple quote is desirable.

So, let me demonstrate how you do this:

**When replying to a post, click *Reply* on any post, then in the posting composer window press the little *Quote* button to quote the full post, like so:**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-40-17|690x284](upload://ox6Q0TG4OdYKWgvmHs3JpmvYP9G.png)

**This will load the post that you want to post and format it correctly, linking it back to the original post.**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-41-02|690x254](upload://y9KvirvrlWNtG5zh0kCDr8KHeoz.png)

**With the post composing window still open, you can still go and use select text from posts and add quotes that way, perhaps when you only want to select parts of posts.**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-41-53|656x499](upload://vL7OaDFzNzr49DVp95abtIsAH7E.png)

![](https://meta-s3-cdn.freetls.fastly.net/original/3X/9/5/95bcd86c89d2c880979588f08bcb7c03194d3044.gif)

@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

We've had complaints from some users that they can't follow discussions because they want to see the original quote that they might be responding to. All replies and linked back to original posts, so you can trace the full history of a conversation within a topic.

Me, personally, I don't like pages and pages of embedded quotes as it gets cluttered, but there are times where displaying one or multiple quote is desirable.

**When replying to a post, click *Reply* on any post, then in the posting composer window press the little *Quote* button to quote the full post, like so:**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-40-17|690x284](upload://ox6Q0TG4OdYKWgvmHs3JpmvYP9G.png)

**This will load the post that you want to post and format it correctly, linking it back to the original post.**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-41-02|690x254](upload://y9KvirvrlWNtG5zh0kCDr8KHeoz.png)

**With the post composing window still open, you can still go and use select text from posts and add quotes that way, perhaps when you only want to select parts of posts.**
![Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2027%2010-41-53|656x499](upload://vL7OaDFzNzr49DVp95abtIsAH7E.png)

Down the bottom of a post where we see the smily face, heart, flag, symbols etc, can't we just have a bloody quote symbol there?

@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

Down the bottom of a post where we see the smily face, heart, flag, symbols etc, can't we just have a bloody quote symbol there?

Don't you just love it when people quote long posts with images and the same images appear multiple times?
Discourse has the smarts to remove that.

@Kul said:
@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

Don't you just love it when people quote long posts with images and the same images appear multiple times?

REally? Does it?

@Glennb said:
@Kul said:
@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

REally? Does it?

yes, it does

@TYGA said:
@Kul said:
Here’s a little demo on an iPhone

https://vimeo.com/326782418

Just testing the quote

@Kul said:
@Glennb said:
@Kul said:
@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

REally? Does it?

yes, it does

….. ???.....

@innsaneink said:
@TYGA said:
@Kul said:
Here’s a little demo on an iPhone

https://vimeo.com/326782418

Just testing the quote

@Kul said:
@Glennb said:
@Kul said:
@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

REally? Does it?

yes, it does

….. ???.....

Thanks Kul I hope this will help me personally… Would've been handy from the start

I am trying to get the "reply with full quote" button to appear next to "reply". I just need to learn how to code it. 😂

Just a question… has the 'react' button been removed...the button were u could react with various emotes to a post... e.g. thumbs up, laughing, heart etc etc

@Glennb said:
@Kul said:
@TIGER said:
@Kul said:
Hey everyone.

REally? Does it?

And so it does… Interesting.

@TheDaBoss said:
Just a question… has the 'react' button been removed...the button were u could react with various emotes to a post... e.g. thumbs up, laughing, heart etc etc

Temporarily while I try to fix Ink, Happy and Geo’s issue of getting 502 errors

worked on d trial run ,soz 4 time wasting will try again when things r slow

@merlot said in [How to Quote and Reply](/post/1325086) said:

![Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 7.22.38 pm.png](/assets/uploads/files/1617092597262-screen-shot-2021-03-30-at-7.22.38-pm.png)

See the little orange word quote..hit that..

@geo said in [How to Quote and Reply](/post/1325129) said:
@merlot said in [How to Quote and Reply](/post/1325086) said:

![Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 7.22.38 pm.png](/assets/uploads/files/1617092597262-screen-shot-2021-03-30-at-7.22.38-pm.png)

See the little orange word quote..hit that..

thanks Geo,or do they call u the hand of god,comment last night went side ways[stop messin with my mind ]lol thanks

Members online

Back