How did it get worse?

Very strong possibility we go the whole season winless. However, I do believe if we’re 0-8, Sheens and Benji need to be sacked. Or at least Benji takes over as an intern coach while we look for a new permanent one.

We'll be lucky to win a game at the current situation. This is why back tracking with coaches that have been at the club already never works. Manly and Des of recent times.
If we're zero and 8 sheens will need to go and Benji will not be up to the task with his limited experience. We're up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

As expected (sadly:cry:) many people that comment in these threads:
- come on the forum just to throw mud,
- most of them rarely comment the game,
- never have anything positive to say,
- they often demand the club to fold.

Surely if they cannot follow the club they can watch other sports e.g. synchronised swimming, or darts-throwing, and leave the club alone!

I'm sorry if I'm repeating some of the views of others here but, to me, there's two ways of interpreting the question, 'How did we get worse?'

Firstly, looking at the positive side of things, we definitely have a stronger roster. Koroisau, Klemmer, Papalii and Bateman have a made our pack a force to be reckoned with and they are not the reason we are losing. Even Staines has provided an upgrade in the fullback/ wing position. Additionally, our defence is stronger and, there has yet to be a blowout in our 4 losses.

So, looking at all that, we are not worse. However, if you focus on our attack, we have definitely gone backwards. There is a complete lack of cohesion and why is that? For me, it's a combination of poor coaching and total incompetence in the halves. Clearly, the Tigers were clutching at straws going the nostalgic route and signing the recycled, out of touch Sheens and well intentioned but completely inexperienced Marshall. To be honest, I never thought it would work. The club was dreaming.

For me, both Brooks and Doueihi should be axed with Wakeham and Laurie going into the halves. Brooks has been absolutely woeful as a playmaker and you can see the frustration on the faces of his teammates whereas Doueihi shows ineptness in defence and attack as well as a lack of desire, no matter which position he plays.

It is time for Sheens to put aside his stubbornness and favouritism and send a very firm message that continual poor effort and performance will not be tolerated. If he doesn't bite the bullet, he is doing a disservice to the rest of the team and the fans, and his position should come under threat. This is called accountability, a commodity that it is completely lacking in the club.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I'm repeating some of the views of others here but, to me, there's two ways of interpreting the question, 'How did we get worse?'

Firstly, looking at the positive side of things, we definitely have a stronger roster. Koroisau, Klemmer, Papalii and Bateman have a made our pack a force to be reckoned with and they are not the reason we are losing. Even Staines has provided an upgrade in the fullback/ wing position. Additionally, our defence is stronger and, there has yet to be a blowout in our 4 losses.

So, looking at all that, we are not worse. However, if you focus on our attack, we have definitely gone backwards. There is a complete lack of cohesion and why is that? For me, it's a combination of poor coaching and total incompetence in the halves. Clearly, the Tigers were clutching at straws going the nostalgic route and signing the recycled, out of touch Sheens and well intentioned but completely inexperienced Marshall. To be honest, I never thought it would work. The club were dreaming.

For me, both Brooks and Doueihi should be axed with Wakeham and Laurie going into the halves. Brooks has been absolutely woeful as a playmaker and you can see the frustration on the faces of his teammates whereas Doueihi shows ineptness in defence and attack as well as a lack of desire, no matter which position he plays.

It is time for Sheens to put aside his stubbornness and favouritism and send a very firm message that continual poor effort and performance will not be tolerated. If he doesn't bight the bullet, he is doing a disservice to the rest of the team and the fans, and his position should come under threat. This is called accountability, a commodity that it is completely lacking in the club.

A very balanced and to my point of view highly accurate summation of our woes.Sensible changes have to be made and not the usual knee jerk by the fools in charge

Why didn't anyone in our backline chase down any of our kicks . I would think coaches would stress that ? We did chase down a few bombs against dogs but this week they just stood back and Storm backs were under no pressure whatsoever .in contrast our wingers mainly Staines were under pressure which was not handled and one non diffused bomb directly led to Olams try .
My point is if coaches stressed must kick chase did our players ignore or did our coaching not make it a key point .

Why didn't anyone in our backline chase down any of our kicks . I would think coaches would stress that ? We did chase down a few bombs against dogs but this week they just stood back and Storm backs were under no pressure whatsoever .in contrast our wingers mainly Staines were under pressure which was not handled and one non diffused bomb directly led to Olams try .
My point is if coaches stressed must kick chase did our players ignore or did our coaching not make it a key point .
It's fundamental to getting ascendancy in a game and don't believe for a minute that Sheens /Maguire don't emphasis it. It all comes back to standards on the field - the things that our players get coaches sacked over.

My mistake. It was false when he swore at Madge while doing subs too?
False when Gordon Tallis called him out for lying too?
The bloke is a germ and the club employed him.
Was my favourite player at one point, and would’ve been nice if things had turned out differently. But yes there’s just too much controversy surrounding him. He lost me after his tantrum when he was dropped to reserve grade for a match by JT. Not the kind of guy you want around the club in any capacity - I can’t see what value he would be adding.

Reactions: BZN
I like it.

1. Staines
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham
9. Api

It's terrible but they deserve 4 weeks and Brooks and Doueihi 4 weeks in reserves. If Brooks and Doueihi can perform in reserves then they can push for a spot in the top team if those guys there don't perform.

We should be planning for next season without Brooks and Doueihi.

Laurie probably isn't up to it as well but he deserves a chance to play for a contract.

100%.

It may not work or it may work. We don’t know. We do know what happens playing AD and Brooks. Seasons a write off (in March). Start preparing for future combo’s.

Through laziness and confusion. There is zero cohesion or structure with anything we do.

Break down some things

1) our kicking game is the least effective in the comp. Our bombs have zero chases and infact we stand 15-20mtrs back. The target kicking zone is between 10-20mtr zones meaning teams start 20-30mtrs out. We intentionally don’t kick to the ground or attacking. Our short kicks go dead or don’t even make the ingoal with no chasers also. It’s why the Storm were surprised with Api try. Our halfback is continually tackled & plays the ball on the last. Our other options aren’t red zone options as they are heavy kickers.

2) attacking structure is non existent. We have no line or deception forming. It’s under 7’s pass the parcel rubbish. We look like we are playing in a cross park training drill. If you watched AD he kept turning his back whilst attacking to bob up a ball. He is meant to be a NRL 5/8th. I’ve never seen anything like it in the NRL. Add to this our backs all catch a cold outside of doing kick return hitups and it’s clear we have no structure setup to use our strengths. We don’t turn inside out, we don’t block play, we always go short instead of 2nd man etc. We are very predictable.

3) our forward plans are structurally set for back half of the game which is setting us up to fail. They are going missing early it comes across intentionally. 65%+ of Klemmer, Stef & Papas meters are made in the last 25mins of a game. This also aligns with how we defend and score well in the 2nd halves now but are miles behind.

4) bench selections and rotations are doing my head in. We have 2 workers, a back/utility and backrower often on the bench. Our starting pack are all 60min+ forwards. This is forcing our players to swap out and we give up points in a flood. We don’t need 2 workhorse players on the bench we need impact the quality of our starting pack allows us to throw impact in for 15-20mins. I’m fine with utility and a backrower pending AJ - if he starts on the bench throw 3 impact forwards or rookies in. We have that luxury. Instead some games we are playing our bench twice as long as our opponents do. It either highlights we have fitness issues or selecting the team on players not what is best for the team.

4) red zone. We have had double, yes double the amount of ball than our 4 opponents teams combined we have lost too in the red zone this year and do not convert. Infact we look totally lost. There is not one person taking ownership outside of Api and occasionally Bateman.

5) Team is built on names not best players for the position. Staines hands down is our best fullback gets punted to the wing - he has provided more expansion play and support intent following Api than anyone and gets punted to the Wing. AD plays his worst game, is a defensive liability and gets moved to Fullback. Brooks… just leave that. Seyfarth on the bench offers us nothing/zilch. List goes on. It’s clear we don’t actually have a clear roster plan. We went hard after Moses but extended AD. We are running lost in key positions atm without a plan or view. We moved Madden and Hastings on (have no issues with it) if we had a plan which we didn’t - we punted them just because. It’s costly & without backup options show’s terrible vision from the coaching staff. AD is coming off a long injury, Laurie and Brooks both get injured often. We had zero backups until 2-3 weeks out and picked up Wakeham. Our planning is reactive & big reason why we suck.

Through laziness and confusion. There is zero cohesion or structure with anything we do.

Break down some things

1) our kicking game is the least effective in the comp. Our bombs have zero chases and infact we stand 15-20mtrs back. The target kicking zone is between 10-20mtr zones meaning teams start 20-30mtrs out. We intentionally don’t kick to the ground or attacking. Our short kicks go dead or don’t even make the ingoal with no chasers also. It’s why the Storm were surprised with Api try. Our halfback is continually tackled & plays the ball on the last. Our other options aren’t red zone options as they are heavy kickers.

2) attacking structure is non existent. We have no line or deception forming. It’s under 7’s pass the parcel rubbish. We look like we are playing in a cross park training drill. If you watched AD he kept turning his back whilst attacking to bob up a ball. He is meant to be a NRL 5/8th. I’ve never seen anything like it in the NRL. Add to this our backs all catch a cold outside of doing kick return hitups and it’s clear we have no structure setup to use our strengths. We don’t turn inside out, we don’t block play, we always go short instead of 2nd man etc. We are very predictable.

3) our forward plans are structurally set for back half of the game which is setting us up to fail. They are going missing early it comes across intentionally. 65%+ of Klemmer, Stef & Papas meters are made in the last 25mins of a game. This also aligns with how we defend and score well in the 2nd halves now but are miles behind.

4) bench selections and rotations are doing my head in. We have 2 workers, a back/utility and backrower often on the bench. Our starting pack are all 60min+ forwards. This is forcing our players to swap out and we give up points in a flood. We don’t need 2 workhorse players on the bench we need impact the quality of our starting pack allows us to throw impact in for 15-20mins. I’m fine with utility and a backrower pending AJ - if he starts on the bench throw 3 impact forwards or rookies in. We have that luxury. Instead some games we are playing our bench twice as long as our opponents do. It either highlights we have fitness issues or selecting the team on players not what is best for the team.

4) red zone. We have had double, yes double the amount of ball than our 4 opponents teams combined we have lost too in the red zone this year and do not convert. Infact we look totally lost. There is not one person taking ownership outside of Api and occasionally Bateman.

5) Team is built on names not best players for the position. Staines hands down is our best fullback gets punted to the wing - he has provided more expansion play and support intent following Api than anyone and gets punted to the Wing. AD plays his worst game, is a defensive liability and gets moved to Fullback. Brooks… just leave that. Seyfarth on the bench offers us nothing/zilch. List goes on. It’s clear we don’t actually have a clear roster plan. We went hard after Moses but extended AD. We are running lost in key positions atm without a plan or view. We moved Madden and Hastings on (have no issues with it) if we had a plan which we didn’t - we punted them just because. It’s costly & without backup options show’s terrible vision from the coaching staff. AD is coming off a long injury, Laurie and Brooks both get injured often. We had zero backups until 2-3 weeks out and picked up Wakeham. Our planning is reactive & big reason why we suck.
And all of this with a so called experienced coach with an attacking mentality. We produced better with an inferior roster and defence orientated coach. So something is seriously wrong and it’s not all the excuses being thrown up by Sheens - see the dolphins to date

It's fundamental to getting ascendancy in a game and don't believe for a minute that Sheens /Maguire don't emphasis it. It all comes back to standards on the field - the things that our players get coaches sacked over.
I think you are right lazy and no regard for standards

When Twal is on the field we basically have only 5 go forward tackles ., giving the opposition a 17% advantage. We can't afford to give the opposition this advantage every game .When he has the ball the opposition can reset ,and they know it. His lack of tries is not an anomaly.

Last year we got our first win in round 6 against Eels 21-20. Unfortunately, all 4 of our tries were scored by players who are no longer in the team.
So too the player who took the 79th minute clutch one pointer has gone to another club.
I hear that we have a better team though?
So what’s going wrong?
Do we have a better coaching team?

Last year we got our first win in round 6 against Eels 21-20. Unfortunately, all 4 of our tries were scored by players who are no longer in the team.
So too the player who took the 79th minute clutch one pointer has gone to another club.
I hear that we have a better team though?
So what’s going wrong?
Do we have a better coaching team?
there is no coaching I believe they're having a bludge

When Twal is on the field we basically have only 5 go forward tackles ., giving the opposition a 17% advantage. We can't afford to give the opposition this advantage every game .When he has the ball the opposition can reset ,and they know it. His lack of tries is not an anomaly.
As energetic as he is in defence, he lets the team down with his dumb attack.
Every game we see him get dropped 400mm from the line, but he found another way not to score. He stopped looking at Api and hello he was surprised the ball hit him on the arm? Must have thought he was a decoy runner? 😂🤪

• Haha
Reactions: BZN

Latest posts

Back