Homebrew

cochise

@gallagher said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215969) said:
@cochise said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215964) said:
@gallagher said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215918) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215916) said:
@gallagher said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215915) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215910) said:
Just remember , every time Penrith score ...you skull .....Geo has to smash a pie

If we hold Penrith to nil ...@Geo has promised to buy a bottle of our favourite plonk

I'm in.

I've just done a count ...got 14 cans ...hope we show some guts

I got a 19lt keg, first half sorted.

What is in the keg is the important question

A local brewers version of great northern

Yeah not a fan, I recently did a homebrew Great Northern for my Brother.

@cochise said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215972) said:
Just remember , every time Penrith score ...you skull .....Geo has to smash a pie

If we hold Penrith to nil ...@Geo has promised to buy a bottle of our favourite plonk

I'm in.

Thinking about brewing my own. Might pick your brain soon.

@gallagher said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215974) said:
@cochise said in [Wests Tigers Team v Penrith Rd 16](/post/1215972) said:

I'm in.

Thinking about brewing my own. Might pick your brain soon.

Yeah no problem mate, I enjoy doing my own brews.

Brewed a pale ale from scratch today. Love to help people get started. Great hobby.

What are your favourite recipes and what equipment do you use for your brews?

Nothing yet. I got a kegerator but get someone else to brew. Any tips on where to start and a rough cost?

@gallagher said in [Homebrew](/post/1215991) said:
Nothing yet. I got a kegerator but get someone else to brew. Any tips on where to start and a rough cost?

I brew in a fermentasaurus, but have used the cooper fermenters in the past and they are fine, especially for someone just starting out. I use a fridge with a temp control to maintain temp for the brew. I then transfer to a keg. I usually have 2 19l kegs of different brews and use a 5l growler for storing in the fridge or taking to BBQ etc. My brew fridge is in the shed lol

I always recommend someone starting out to just start with a kit to get used to the process, avoid the Lagers to start with as they are more temp sensitive. Once you have that process down visit a brew shop and get one of their recipes to start to learn about making your own mash and as you become confident in that start the experiment with the recipe a little.

Pretty much just go get a cheap fermenter and a cheap brew and have a crack, if you enjoy it you can always upgrade the fermenter later. I love nothing more than the smeall of a brew fermenting away.

@cochise said in [Homebrew](/post/1216000) said:

I brew in a fermentasaurus, but have used the cooper fermenters in the past and they are fine, especially for someone just starting out. I use a fridge with a temp control to maintain temp for the brew. I then transfer to a keg. I usually have 2 19l kegs of different brews and use a 5l growler for storing in the fridge or taking to BBQ etc. My brew fridge is in the shed lol

I always recommend someone starting out to just start with a kit to get used to the process, avoid the Lagers to start with as they are more temp sensitive. Once you have that process down visit a brew shop and get one of their recipes to start to learn about making your own mash and as you become confident in that start the experiment with the recipe a little.

Pretty much just go get a cheap fermenter and a cheap brew and have a crack, if you enjoy it you can always upgrade the fermenter later. I love nothing more than the smeall of a brew fermenting away.

Cheers. Is that s specific fridge for fermenting?

@gallagher said in [Homebrew](/post/1216027) said:

I have 2 fridges lol, one I have connected a temp control to allow me to control the temp when brewing. I brew a lot of stouts so keep those around 25 degrees, when doing a lager they are around 12 degrees. I wouldn't buy a fridge to ferment in to start, just avoid lagers and use a jumper if it gets too cold or a wet tshirt if it gets hot and store in a dark place while brewing.

Coopers kits fit nicely in a bar fridge that doesn't have a freezer section so I started with one of those.

@cochise said in [Homebrew](/post/1216032) said:

I have 2 fridges lol, one I have connected a temp control to allow me to control the temp when brewing. I brew a lot of stouts so keep those around 25 degrees, when doing a lager they are around 12 degrees. I wouldn't buy a fridge to ferment in to start, just avoid lagers and use a jumper if it gets too cold or a wet tshirt if it gets hot and store in a dark place while brewing.

I had to re read the wet t shirt bit. ?

Coopers kits fit nicely in a bar fridge that doesn't have a freezer section so I started with one of those.

I use much the same idea, favourite brew , stone and wood pacific ale

@rex2ce said in [Homebrew](/post/1216037) said:

Temp controlled fridge or wet tshirt? lol

@rex2ce said in [Homebrew](/post/1216037) said:

My favourite brews are Stout recipes I have modified over the years. If I have friends coming over and know with enough notice I will find a recipe for a replica of their favourite beer.

My stout I have named Red Beard Stout.

When I was making beer I used to like a kit called 'Best' Bitter. It was a pommy kit and always turned out nice without too much tweaking. This was a while ago so I don't know if it's still on the market.
I don't brew beer any more because I grow fruit, so it's basically free to make fruit wines. I've just bottled a passionfruit wine that is very smooth but will knock you like a Simon Dwyer hit. I still have a cask of banana wine ready for bottling, also smooth and strong.

@NT_Tiger said in [Homebrew](/post/1216099) said:
When I was making beer I used to like a kit called 'Best' Bitter. It was a pommy kit and always turned out nice without too much tweaking. This was a while ago so I don't know if it's still on the market.
I don't brew beer any more because I grow fruit, so it's basically free to make fruit wines. I've just bottled a passionfruit wine that is very smooth but will knock you like a Simon Dwyer hit. I still have a cask of banana wine ready for bottling, also smooth and strong.

They sound great

Just look up recipes on Aussie Home Brew forum. Heaps of tips and advice.

Back