OFFICIAL Harold Matthews Cup

disappointing end to a great season but injuries to key players in the week leading up was always going to make the assignment tougher, although the occasion probably got to a few of our players.

today will either be the making or breaking of Alex Isdale. clearly did not put the ball in the right places either with his foot or his hands, but he has been near flawless most other weeks. big games are always different affairs, but I hope and expect he’ll learn from this.

Pheonix Godinet though, sheesh. kid’s a first grader through and through.

Hurts to lose a GF more than any other. Well done to the squad and hope once over the disappoint they can put it down to experience and be proud of a good season.

34-16 defeat in the GF.

Congrats to Heamasi Makasini who was named the Player of the Season post-GF.
I say again how is warriors aloud in the 17 comp??? A whole country to call from and we are in a pool of multiple Sydney teams. Why give them a leg up?? It’s not an international series, don’t get it. Maybe we should allow England to field a team. Joke

Honestly, who do people on here thing could have the step up, even to Flegg level not to mention NRL.
I'd rule out all of our backs other than Makasini, all too small and slow, don't have the skillset required to step up so higher levels imo.
Obviously the Large boys are up there, and there's a few forwards: CTP, Godinet, Taai but that's about it

Of course you never know who the late bloomers are but there's just not many players who currently have the necessary attributes to step up, just a few toilers mainly. Isdale, I've seen him play more bad games than good, Karnib just too small but competes a lot and may be want to be like a Corey Thompson type.

Our previous Matts winning squad had several players who were clearly stars in the making, this side just doesn't... But if you get a handful of first graders from a single junior side then that's usually seen as a positive

Last edited:
Firstly, Congrats to the team for making it to the big dance.

That was a disappointing end to a strong season.

It was criminal not to utilise Makasini more, I don't recall him getting any early ball in attacking areas at all. Yes, he made a couple of errors, and it wasn't his best game, but there weren't anywhere near the good ball opportunities he has been so destructive with all season. If it was the gameplan, then that's on the coach, but we seemed to favour the other side all match.

Like most, I don't think many will kick on, but that's pretty normal. Makasini, Large and Moors are the only 3 who played yesterday; I think I can get there.

Honestly, who do people on here thing could have the step up, even to Flegg level not to mention NRL.
I'd rule out all of our backs other than Makasini, all too small and slow, don't have the skillset required to step up so higher levels imo.
Obviously the Large boys are up there, and there's a few forwards: CTP, Godinet, Taai but that's about it

Of course you never know who the late bloomers are but there's just not many players who have the necessary attributes to step up, just a few toilers mainly. Isdale, I've seen him play more bad games than good, Karnib just too small but competes a lot and may be want to be like a Corey Thompson type.

Our previous Matts winning squad had several players who were clearly stars in the making, this side just doesn't... But if you get a handful of first graders from a single junior side then that's usually seen as a positive
I think we are likely to see more forwards potentially make it...Moors, Godinet, Taai and Fui looks good too (really missed him yesterday). The other would be Siotame Havea Jr. Need to remember he was a year young in this team. He could be an exciting prospect moving forward!

Hopefully we can lock up Makasini and the Large boys too. Every time Richo speaks to the media, he talks about a "centre" in the Harold Matts team, so you would think we are close to securing Makasini or he wouldn't be opening his mouth about a player who is leaving.

I think we are likely to see more forwards potentially make it...Moors, Godinet, Taai and Fui looks good too (really missed him yesterday). The other would be Siotame Havea Jr. Need to remember he was a year young in this team. He could be an exciting prospect moving forward!

Hopefully we can lock up Makasini and the Large boys too. Every time Richo speaks to the media, he talks about a "centre" in the Harold Matts team, so you would think we are close to securing Makasini or he wouldn't be opening his mouth about a player who is leaving.
I agree. The pick of the 17yos progressing to SG Ball next season IMO are ...

Makasini
Onitoni Large
Godinet
Taupau-Moors
Fui
French
Ta'ai

I think all of the above have NRL potential for what they have shown.

I'll throw Isdale & Glassie into this list although both had their worst games of the season in the GF. Isdale is a very good game-managing halfback with good speed/acceleration. Whilst his long kicking game lacks distance atm, he is only 17 and it will improve as he grows & gets stronger. Glassie has potential, just needs better game IQ.

Our 16yos in Ashton Large, Thomas Goodfield, Jhevon Lele & Siatame Havea Jr will have another year of Matts & will be joined by the likes of Curtis Lakeman, Kye Penfold, Forigiveness Tila, Andrew Sio, Jonas Peni, Brock Achurch & Elijaf Sefo from our GF Macarthur Andrew Johns Cup this season so we'll be contenders once again if we can keep them together & fit.

I agree. The pick of the 17yos progressing to SG Ball next season IMO are ...

Makasini
Onitoni Large
Godinet
Taupau-Moors
Fui
French
Ta'ai

I think all of the above have NRL potential for what they have shown.

I'll throw Isdale & Glassie into this list although both had their worst games of the season in the GF. Isdale is a very good game-managing halfback with good speed/acceleration. Whilst his long kicking game lacks distance atm, he is only 17 and it will improve as he grows & gets stronger. Glassie has potential, just needs better game IQ.

Our 16yos in Ashton Large, Thomas Goodfield, Jhevon Lele & Siatame Havea Jr will have another year of Matts & will be joined by the likes of Curtis Lakeman, Kye Penfold, Forigiveness Tila, Andrew Sio, Jonas Peni, Brock Achurch & Elijaf Sefo from our GF Macarthur Andrew Johns Cup this season so we'll be contenders once again if we can keep them together & fit.
I think your summation’s pretty good. beyond Makasini who I regard as elite and Isdale who I think is a decent prospect, Pheonix has been brilliant this year, as have Moors and Fui. I’d be tying down those three to development deals for 2025/26. Taai is probably next category down and a player I’m keen to see perform in SG, and French has performed admirably.

in regards to the year youngs, Havea is our long term first grade 13, of that I have no doubt. excellent defensively and has a brilliant pair of hands, plus can bend the line. Teancum Epati is a year young too and burst onto the scene late in the year and should improve further. Goodfield is a diamond outside back prospect imo. must keep. Ashton Large elite but as far as I’m aware out the door.

I think there’s at least four or so first graders amongst this crop, and potentially more depending on how they develop. I’m hopeful we get a bit more insight once preseason rolls around in November with who is seen as a priority.

Staff online

Back