Corey Thompson

PabloX

I can't believe I'm reading this...

The Tigers are in danger of losing the man many regard as the NRL’s most underrated player: utility back Corey Thompson.

Thompson is coming off contract in a few months and the Tigers have yet to present him with a formal offer for 2020.

Rival clubs have been circling Thompson’s manager Mario Tartak, who now has some decisions to make with his client.

“Corey loves the Tigers but he needs to look after his future, wherever that lies,” Tartak told Wide World of Sports.

“The Tigers are in no rush to move on him.

“Several coaches have told me they see him as a very underrated and he appeals to them because he won’t cost the earth. And his ability to play several positions in the backline is a huge plus in his favour.”

Corey has been one of our better players over the last two seasons, on a moderate salary and loves the club.

It's a no brainer. Give him a 2 year contract

Yeah we should secure him now because quite frankly I see him as our fullback next season. Mbye to move to 5/8 after the retirement of Marshall and the England bound Reynolds.

@maxxn99 What official source said Reynolds is England bound???

Please enlighten me, must have missed that.

@Geo said in [Corey Thompson](/post/1014065) said:
Source might be good..

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-wests-tigers-corey-thompson-rabbitohs-bryson-goodwin/0e5a529f-10cc-4fa5-a94b-fca5e66885bd

So we've been in talks with him for months, haven't yet offered a contract. His agent is getting crabby so releases a statement.

He's a solid backup. That's what he should be for us, and will be for other clubs. He wouldn't make the starting lineup for many other NRL clubs. We need bigger, faster and stronger backs if we're to consistently compete with the more successful clubs - we can't keep selecting players because they work hard. We need winners and game changers.

I'm sure this is why Madge is unsure about offering him a 2 year deal when he knows we need to sign a heap of new outside backs to be more competitive. There's only so many spots in the 30 man squad.

If it were up to me, I'd definitely be offering him a contract. He deserves one. However, Aloiai should be the priority. Once he's signed, then lets talk about Thompson.

But we have a 6 ft 6 winger in reserve grade that could be anything. If Tommos manager wants to overprice him then unfortunately he has to go no matter how much you like him

The only way this makes any sense is if we are going after a gun winger.

@CarltonDry said in [Corey Thompson](/post/1014081) said:
But we have a 6 ft 6 winger in reserve grade that could be anything. If Tommos manager wants to overprice him then unfortunately he has to go no matter how much you like him

Who?
Whats his 60 and 100m times?

@TIGER said in [Corey Thompson](/post/1014084) said:

Who?

Think he's talking about Bradley.

@Geo https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-wests-tigers-corey-thompson-rabbitohs-bryson-goodwin/0e5a529f-10cc-4fa5-a94b-fca5e66885bd

@TIGER said in [Corey Thompson](/post/1014084) said:

Who?

It’s Kane Bradley and I’m not his sprint coach but he covers the ground well.
Do you know Corey’s 60 and 100m times?

@Balmain_Boy I'm not saying sign him at all costs. Offer a reasonable contract. I agree that at most other clubs he might be a depth signing but unless we are odds on to pick up a couple of handy outside backs Thompson certainly has value and a place in our top 17.

Thanks..reads a bit like a player manager doing his job either trying to bump up his clients price or secure a longer deal..

I'm sure Wests Tigers will make a reasonable offer for Thomo..great squad player..

one of my favourite players, been consitent week in week out, and is a flexible player who is a gun at any spot he is put in!

Back