Charlie Staines #262

It is not Fulton's fault that Tim Sheens can't win a game.
Tim Sheens wasn't winning with a team that he recruited a bunch of star talent for. Even Madge, if he had the 2023 squad would have had these guys winning games and we needed to fire Madge.

Benji needs another opinion, we need views that are really outside the Tigers stable.
We are WAY too inbred and the fact that we would throw a club legend, heck a rookie coach a first grade squad shows this.
He at least needed a year or two coaching a lower grade team. At any other club he’d have been given a role like that, not here. His appointment was a feel good story they could sell to supporters. “He’s going to bring back the magic of 05”. Not acknowledging the many more years of failure.

The point is Benji has very little experience in coaching an NRL team. I don’t know that he had much input at a coaching level when he played the game.
I watched him during a game, when he was asking his left winger AJ to be more shallow in our attack zone. On his second attempt AJ had still not got the message, so on the third Benji threw the cut out ball to where he wanted his winger it landed 5 metres in front of AJ and he certainly got the message on the 4th, running in for a 4 pointer.
My point is that Benji’s inexperience means he is learning about his own teaching style as much as he is learning about his players’ perceptive ability. This is a heap of learning for a coach who doesn’t want to live, eat, drink, breathe the job.
He has a momentous job ahead of him doesn't he !

It is not Fulton's fault that Tim Sheens can't win a game.
Tim Sheens wasn't winning with a team that he recruited a bunch of star talent for. Even Madge, if he had the 2023 squad would have had these guys winning games and we needed to fire Madge.

Benji needs another opinion, we need views that are really outside the Tigers stable.
We are WAY too inbred and the fact that we would throw a club legend, heck a rookie coach a first grade squad shows this.
Again - it was the circumstances under which Fulton was employed that has created division. Benji signed on believing the club was moving in a direction under Tim Sheens - a five year plan. We now know that the club/administrators didn't trust/ gave up on that process given their interference, which made Sheens position untenable. It's hardly surprising that Benji is testing his authority because what he got sold no longer exists, and Fulton coming in trying to exert his authority over recruitment on the back of it - not too surprising that they are butting heads.
Whether it can be resolved is what is most concerning, and can the people who created the problem be trusted to make the right decision/s in managing it in the best interests of the team and club - given their recent history highly doubtful.

Again - it was the circumstances under which Fulton was employed that has created division.

This just sounds so stupid. There are a couple of options here:-

1. This forum is full of drama queens who have fantasies about knowing exactly what is going on in relation to the internal politics of the club. To put it simply all this drama is just something that has been made up. This is a common theme within society today. Let's make up something and get worked up about it.
2. Benji and Fulton have massive ego's and are fighting like little cry babies. If so sack them both. If it's just one of them sack them. Stuff the image.

I'm betting on option 1 but I'm fine with option 2 as well.

Again - it was the circumstances under which Fulton was employed that has created division. Benji signed on believing the club was moving in a direction under Tim Sheens - a five year plan. We now know that the club/administrators didn't trust/ gave up on that process given their interference, which made Sheens position untenable. It's hardly surprising that Benji is testing his authority because what he got sold no longer exists, and Fulton coming in trying to exert his authority over recruitment on the back of it - not too surprising that they are butting heads.
Whether it can be resolved is what is most concerning, and can the people who created the problem be trusted to make the right decision/s in managing it in the best interests of the team and club - given their recent history highly doubtful.

Benji signed knowing how our club operates - knowing first hand no one is ever safe here. He also knew Sheens was never here longterm.

People look too much into the media spin crap.
Zero chance he is meeting Luai/Olam etc without Fulton knowing.

Benji signed knowing how our club operates - knowing first hand no one is ever safe here. He also knew Sheens was never here longterm.

People look too much into the media spin crap.
Zero chance he is meeting Luai/Olam etc without Fulton knowing.
Sure he did and Fulton would have to be living under rock to not be aware of the WTs recent history but if the two don't get along - then given their positions and their responsibility in developing a squad at a club that historically has difficulty doing that then it would be insane - for the sake of the club moving forward- to persist with it.

This just sounds so stupid. There are a couple of options here:-

1. This forum is full of drama queens who have fantasies about knowing exactly what is going on in relation to the internal politics of the club. To put it simply all this drama is just something that has been made up. This is a common theme within society today. Let's make up something and get worked up about it.
2. Benji and Fulton have massive ego's and are fighting like little cry babies. If so sack them both. If it's just one of them sack them. Stuff the image.

I'm betting on option 1 but I'm fine with option 2 as well.
The dramatics with this club are all off the field and the very reason why they can't get it right on the field and every fan who is still hanging in there is triggered by it.

The current review (and its governance outcomes) is the only light in the tunnel, so far as staff interactions go.
Interesting times.

The dramatics with this club are all off the field and the very reason why they can't get it right on the field and every fan who is still hanging in there is triggered by it.

How do you know ?

I'm a fan who is hanging in there and I've been hanging in there for a while. I'm definitely not triggered or even care about it. I just want to watch my footy team hopefully win some games.

He at least needed a year or two coaching a lower grade team. At any other club he’d have been given a role like that, not here. His appointment was a feel good story they could sell to supporters. “He’s going to bring back the magic of 05”. Not acknowledging the many more years of failure.
How are the dogs going? Give him a fair go before you put the boot in.

How are the dogs going? Give him a fair go before you put the boot in.
The dogs have a different issue than we do, their players are jacking up because of the coaching techniques.
We otoh, have a coach loved by all the players. But coaching is all about results. I think Benji did well in his first year to get 4 wins and he’ll obviously be looking to improve on that in 24. He would have learned something out of those 20 losses, especially the 30% of them that were very close.
If Manly can keep Tom on the park for more than 11 games and Dragons kick more goals, they lost about 5 games because of a lousy 68% success rate, then we’re in a battle for the spoon with Dogs if they can’t sort their issues over the offseason.

The dogs have a different issue than we do, their players are jacking up because of the coaching techniques.
We otoh, have a coach loved by all the players. But coaching is all about results. I think Benji did well in his first year to get 4 wins and he’ll obviously be looking to improve on that in 24. He would have learned something out of those 20 losses, especially the 30% of them that were very close.
If Manly can keep Tom on the park for more than 11 games and Dragons kick more goals, they lost about 5 games because of a lousy 68% success rate, then we’re in a battle for the spoon with Dogs if they can’t sort their issues over the offseason.

Our coaching didn’t do well with 4 wins, this is a reason (no doubt others) Sheens is gone. No one could be viewed as doing well to win only 4 wins & coming dead last. Especially considering we upgraded the side with Api, Papa, Klem, Bateman and Bula come into the squad on the team that won 4 games the season before. We can all make excuses but as you mentioned it’s results and they were terrible.

How do you know ?

I'm a fan who is hanging in there and I've been hanging in there for a while. I'm definitely not triggered or even care about it. I just want to watch my footy team hopefully win some games.
Under the current administration thats exactly the response that is music to their ears.

Our coaching didn’t do well with 4 wins, this is a reason (no doubt others) Sheens is gone. No one could be viewed as doing well to win only 4 wins & coming dead last. Especially considering we upgraded the side with Api, Papa, Klem, Bateman and Bula come into the squad on the team that won 4 games the season before. We can all make excuses but as you mentioned it’s results and they were terrible.
Sure, on a macro scale, no doubt about the result being poor. But drilling into the reasons for the result can provide some hope.
We had a coach with no coaching experience.
There was a time round 3? Maybe? When Sheens had to take charge for a couple of games, but mostly we had plenty of rookies with a green coach getting advice from Sheens.
We operated with a pretty average squad with key players missing the offseason and early games. I thought Benji did well to get those 4 wins under the circumstances.

The longer this amateur drama between Benji and Scott plays out in the media then it is just bad press for the Tigers and our image can not keep taking this for much longer. If it keeps on going sack them both and appoint John Morris on a3 year contract and be done with it.

We’ve hit an all time low if we’re now claiming a coach did well to win only 4 games. He didn’t btw. Sheens was coach for the majority of the season.
The players have actually credited Marshall for those wins. When you look at recent interviews from Api & Papali'i they have stated Sheens gameplan just simply didn't work which says it all really. Sheens appointment was a utter failure & an embarrassment.

The players have actually credited Marshall for those wins. When you look at recent interviews from Api & Papali'i they have stated Sheens gameplan just simply didn't work which says it all really. Sheens appointment was a utter failure & an embarrassment.
I’m not entirely sure it was a failure and embarrassment.

The players have actually credited Marshall for those wins. When you look at recent interviews from Api & Papali'i they have stated Sheens gameplan just simply didn't work which says it all really. Sheens appointment was an utter failure & an embarrassment.
If it was such as you say, then why not get rid of those who keep making those blunders? Why not sack the boffins who forced a reluctant Sheens to carry the job title of Coach and Head of Football Dept.? Sheens thought he was going back full time to his Head of Footy job when he finished running interference for Benji.
who’s the idiot? The guy who gets forced to do a job he doesn’t want to do? Or the guy who makes him do it?
It was clear to me that Benji didn’t want Sheens around.
He said as much when asked about his aspirations…said he will be a “man manager” in the mold of Wayne Bennet. So he only smiles occasionally and it will be years before he dances in the shed.

Back