CEO - Shane Richardson

‘Sad day for the club’: Wests Tigers slammed over Richo deal’

Apr 29, 2024 08:00AM

A former Wests Tigers chair has claimed Shane Richardson’s appointment by “interim” chairman Barry O’Farrell was “corporate governance failure” and a “closed shop.”

NRL: The Wests Tigers have picked up another recruit from the Panthers, as well as extended the contract of CEO Shane Richardson.

Sydney lawyer Nick Di Girolamo claimed the lack of governance behind Richardson’s selection by “interim” chairman Barry O’Farrell was a “sad day for the club.”

Di Girolamo had been endorsed for the Wests Tigers CEO position by Balmain Tigers legend Ben Elias.

Away from rugby league, businessman Di Girolamo came to prominence in 2014 when he sent O’Farrell a $3000 bottle of Penfolds Grange Hermitage wine – a gift which led to O’Farrell’s downfall as NSW Premier following an ICAC investigation. O’Farrell was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing.

Richardson was appointed interim Tigers CEO last December after an independent governance and culture review at the club.

Wests Tigers formally appointed Richardson to a four-year deal last Friday – an announcement which was condemned by Di Girolamo.

“If the chair (O’Farrell) is oblivious to such corporate governance failure then it’s a very sad day for the club,” he said.

“The problem with the appointment was there wasn’t an independent, transparent process.

“It seems like it was a closed shop and that’s disappointing from a club perspective.

“If that’s how the club is going to behave under the current interim chairman, they are going to go backwards.

“It’s not a proper process. Proper corporate governance 101 is running a transparent process. That’s standard corporate governance procedure when you’re looking to appoint a full-time CEO.

“There is a fair dinkum process through a recruiter, who gets together with members of the board and they interview the top 10 candidates.

“It’s text book. What isn’t text book, it seems to me, is for any interim chair, of his own volition, to appoint an interim CEO to a four-year term without going to market.

“You go and get a headhunter and give them six weeks for people to apply for the role. A proper process calls for the invitation of applications.”

Di Girolamo is an ex-Wests Tigers chairman, deputy chairman and Balmain Tigers director.

In December, Elias backed Di Girolamo as a “great candidate for a major role in the club’s operation.”

On Monday, Di Girolamo said: “My name was bandied around (as a candidate). I was humbled that an icon of the game (Elias) threw my hat in the ring and publicly supported me.

“Would I have thrown my hat in the ring? Probably, yes. Would I have got the gig? I don’t know. But the issue is no-one else got a chance to throw their hat in the ring either.

“If you’re talking about proper corporate governance then you have to run a process; go to market and put an ad in the paper like every other club does.”

Asked whether an interim chairman had the authority to make such long-term decisions, Di Girolamo said: “I don’t know what power he (O’Farrell) has been given by the shareholders.

“It seems to me the shareholders don’t fully understand corporate governance either.”

This masthead reached out to Wests Tigers for a response but the club did not want to comment.

“The decision has been made and we are moving forward as a club,” a Wests Tigers spokesman said.

Announcing Richardson’s long-term appointment last Friday, O’Farrell said in a media statement: “Shane has done a tremendous job since taking over as interim CEO, impressing supporters, staff and sponsors.

“It was a ‘no-brainer’ for the board to secure his services for the future. No club can afford to let champions go, whether on the field or in the front office”

Last edited by a moderator:

A former Wests Tigers chair has claimed Shane Richardson’s appointment by “interim” chairman Barry O’Farrell was “corporate governance failure” and a “closed shop.”

NRL: The Wests Tigers have picked up another recruit from the Panthers, as well as extended the contract of CEO Shane Richardson.

Sydney lawyer Nick Di Girolamo claimed the lack of governance behind Richardson’s selection by “interim” chairman Barry O’Farrell was a “sad day for the club.”

Di Girolamo had been endorsed for the Wests Tigers CEO position by Balmain Tigers legend Ben Elias.

Away from rugby league, businessman Di Girolamo came to prominence in 2014 when he sent O’Farrell a $3000 bottle of Penfolds Grange Hermitage wine – a gift which led to O’Farrell’s downfall as NSW Premier following an ICAC investigation. O’Farrell was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing.

Richardson was appointed interim Tigers CEO last December after an independent governance and culture review at the club.

Wests Tigers formally appointed Richardson to a four-year deal last Friday – an announcement which was condemned by Di Girolamo.

“If the chair (O’Farrell) is oblivious to such corporate governance failure then it’s a very sad day for the club,” he said.

Wests Tigers. Picture: David Swift

“The problem with the appointment was there wasn’t an independent, transparent process.

“It seems like it was a closed shop and that’s disappointing from a club perspective.

“If that’s how the club is going to behave under the current interim chairman, they are going to go backwards.

“It’s not a proper process. Proper corporate governance 101 is running a transparent process. That’s standard corporate governance procedure when you’re looking to appoint a full-time CEO.

“There is a fair dinkum process through a recruiter, who gets together with members of the board and they interview the top 10 candidates.

“It’s text book. What isn’t text book, it seems to me, is for any interim chair, of his own volition, to appoint an interim CEO to a four-year term without going to market.

“You go and get a headhunter and give them six weeks for people to apply for the role. A proper process calls for the invitation of applications.”

Di Girolamo is an ex-Wests Tigers chairman, deputy chairman and Balmain Tigers director.

In December, Elias backed Di Girolamo as a “great candidate for a major role in the club’s operation.”

On Monday, Di Girolamo said: “My name was bandied around (as a candidate). I was humbled that an icon of the game (Elias) threw my hat in the ring and publicly supported me.

“Would I have thrown my hat in the ring? Probably, yes. Would I have got the gig? I don’t know. But the issue is no-one else got a chance to throw their hat in the ring either.

“If you’re talking about proper corporate governance then you have to run a process; go to market and put an ad in the paper like every other club does.”

Asked whether an interim chairman had the authority to make such long-term decisions, Di Girolamo said: “I don’t know what power he (O’Farrell) has been given by the shareholders.

“It seems to me the shareholders don’t fully understand corporate governance either.”

This masthead reached out to Wests Tigers for a response but the club did not want to comment.

More Coverage

“The decision has been made and we are moving forward as a club,” a Wests Tigers spokesman said.

Announcing Richardson’s long-term appointment last Friday, O’Farrell said in a media statement: “Shane has done a tremendous job since taking over as interim CEO, impressing supporters, staff and sponsors.

“It was a ‘no-brainer’ for the board to secure his services for the future. No club can afford to let champions go, whether on the field or in the front office”
hahahaha this bloke would have been Lee 2.0

The truth is there is no better candidate out there then Richo he has been doing this successfully his hole life

No need to interview other people

Last edited by a moderator:

Wests Tigers. Picture: David Swift

More Coverage

The fact that Benny endorsed him is a good enough reason to someone else.

Telegraph is throwing a lot of excrement against the wall… some will eventually stick …

The Tigers have enough problems to work through without having to deal with this campaign …

Becoming personal for reasons that go beyond Scott Fulton and missing out on a lunch at Totti’s every quarter … they are going after him big time…

It’s ok for Richo to say we are 2.2M in the red but the devil is in the detail. Did a large a one off extraordinary cost (eg. Sheens leaving)? Cause the majority of the issue? Or are we running beyond our means?

Don’t get me wrong, I think he is a good appointment and the previous administration had to.go, but is he creating a narrative that strengthens his position when we suddenly make a profit this year?
This is the reason. It was publicised at end of last year under previous management that payouts to Sheens, McDonell, Sheens wife totalled well over $1m.

It was also publicised that we invested significant extra money in the South West last yr without which we would have broken even (we should never make a profit as such because we aren't privately owned). Also from a HBG point of view in particular their were some accounting pieces about how the COE money was paid which made results look worse. I'm all for Richo but he is of course telling stories that suit his narrative too.

Telegraph is throwing a lot of excrement against the wall… some will eventually stick …

The Tigers have enough problems to work through without having to deal with this campaign …

Becoming personal for reasons that go beyond Scott Fulton and missing out on a lunch at Totti’s every quarter … they are going after him big time…
Buzz and the Telegraph are becoming irrelevant.

Gossip and Muck.

The club is on the right track with the right leadership.

Buzz and the Telegraph are becoming irrelevant.

Gossip and Muck.

The club is on the right track with the right leadership.

I’m happy with the appointment… but I don’t agree that it’s so easy to brush off this negativity… News Ltd have some easy fodder ahead in the coming weeks with the home grounds decision next year and the continuing losses on the field …it’s not great having this negative vibe continuing around the club when you are looking for sponsors and trying to sign/ retain players

He’s lost the plot. James Graham schooled him on NRL360 over his stupid kick off ideas tonight.
It got worse. What about his "player challenge" and if you get it wrong you lose an interchange :ROFLMAO:

Honestly between himself, Elias ( whose dribbling went to a whole new level last week) and Buzz it's become a comedy hour. Its actually embarrassing for Fox

Funny that the two main players in the destruction of the leagues club on Victoria Rd rear their heads in this. They've done worse damage than anyone has ever done at the club.
As far as I'm concerned they are dead to me.

Yeah Richardson was the wrong appointment, we need to interview 10 candidates because the other candidates have gone to Penrith, South's and Cronulla when they were on the scrap heap and built them up leading to two premierships and a grand final appearance for the Sharks.
There might be a better suited candidate.
Honestly where do the muppets in the media find these morons.

Nothing to see here, just someone bitter that didn't get a chance to apply for the role.

Most exec roles I've been involved in, start with someone in the role in an interim capacity. If they perform and it works for both parties, usually it becomes permanent without going to external applicants.

Moving to big stadiums only works if the team is winning.
Crowds will be atrocious if struggling to win a game.
Very true V but we’re damned if we do and damned if you don’t. We’ve had plenty of games at our “ home grounds” in recent years that have proved fruitless.
Just have to hope relocation and winning go hand in hand, but I’m sure there’ll be some dark days but all we can do is try to present ourselves as a major club, moving forward.

Latest posts

Back