CEO - Shane Richardson

He can only be a breath of fresh air at this stage? Man's been in the job about 8 weeks.

I'm not a Richo knocker but I've been around long enough to hear all of this before, in some guise or another, from plenty of smooth talkers who earnestly want to appear trustworthy.

Results will matter and that is how Richo will be judged. It's very very easy to walk into a joint and say how you would do things differently, but an entirely different thing to implement said changes and hang around to see if they bring success.

You can’t see positive signs? Pascoe flat out lied on membership numbers for years with people talking about what a financial wizard he was, now we have a CEO being upfront and honest. Huge shift imo.

He can only be a breath of fresh air at this stage? Man's been in the job about 8 weeks.

I'm not a Richo knocker but I've been around long enough to hear all of this before, in some guise or another, from plenty of smooth talkers who earnestly want to appear trustworthy.

Results will matter and that is how Richo will be judged. It's very very easy to walk into a joint and say how you would do things differently, but an entirely different thing to implement said changes and hang around to see if they bring success.
I don't blame any Tigers fan for being wary. We've been had many times before but in Richo's defence, he has runs on the board with turning around struggling clubs. We've had a number of charlatans who were going to change the world and they all failed miserably.

I understand what Richo is saying from a club point of view.

Unfortunately, it came across as if you are a member, we love you and if you're not we don't. Phrasing could have been better.

The club needs to distinguish what value the membership provides the supporter and the club. Supporters feel they already support the club by watching every game, whether it be on TV or live and buy the odd piece of merchandise. In the supporters eyes, this loyalty and support is a type of currency and if they buy something from time to time, money directly to the club.

I don't know the ins and outs of how much revenue the club gets if you buy a Tigers hat at Rebel Sport vs buying direct on the website, but I'm sure there is a disparity in revenue generated. The same may go for tickets. Does Ticketek take a percentage vs buying games directly with the club under a membership?

Fans need to understand why their buying behaviour is more favoured under the membership structure and how that helps the club. They shouldn't feel like it's a haves vs have nots. It's delicate, because the "what about my (insert Individual circumstances)" brigade comes out in full force.

On the flip side, fans need to understand that if you give above and beyond, you get above and beyond. It's a private business, not your local MP.

Ultimately, I think a major issue is that your membership doesn't include any voting rights unlike other clubs.

I understand what Richo is saying from a club point of view.

Unfortunately, it came across as if you are a member, we love you and if you're not we don't. Phrasing could have been better.

The club needs to distinguish what value the membership provides the supporter and the club. Supporters feel they already support the club by watching every game, whether it be on TV or live and buy the odd piece of merchandise. In the supporters eyes, this loyalty and support is a type of currency and if they buy something from time to time, money directly to the club.

I don't know the ins and outs of how much revenue the club gets if you buy a Tigers hat at Rebel Sport vs buying direct on the website, but I'm sure there is a disparity in revenue generated. The same may go for tickets. Does Ticketek take a percentage vs buying games directly with the club under a membership?

Fans need to understand why their buying behaviour is more favoured under the membership structure and how that helps the club. They shouldn't feel like it's a haves vs have nots. It's delicate, because the "what about my (insert Individual circumstances)" brigade comes out in full force.

On the flip side, fans need to understand that if you give above and beyond, you get above and beyond. It's a private business, not your local MP.

Ultimately, I think a major issue is that your membership doesn't include any voting rights unlike other clubs.
100%.. For me I live rurally. I don't get to Sydney any more, and don't have to travel there for work due to the wonders of technology. I'm not going to games unless there is a holiday that lines up and frankly id rather go else where, than where I have been 9000000 times. I looked up the cheapest membership I could buy and it was $75.00. I feel in the current climate that's a bit out of touch. I don't want the show bag of doobally doos. I don't want the discounts etc etc. let me flick the club 50 to be a number on a list.
I get its only 25 dollars here and I'm splitting hairs. I'm not trying to whinge....... maybe I'm a whinger now.... I'll just stop here I'm whinging I know it

If the club is fair dinkum about listening to members then why put fans into two distinct classes? Nobody believes that Richo will give an open audience to 10,000 ‘members’. However, if he could convince the HBG to sell 25% to members, giving 15,000+ members voting rights and fast tracking his vision of a $15m buffer, then we have a game on our hands.
Naturally paid up members would have limited liability and limited recourse.
But to call people members of a fan club because they’re paying money to the club somehow seems a little disingenuous.
We could pay our money to our own fan club.😂
The club has continually threatened not to talk to people unless they pay them? Seriously? This is not Richo talking, he’s following orders.

Btw

I think we'd have far more members if we had Wests Tigers branded leagues clubs around Sydney.

Everyone has a dinner/drinks/watches games...I think most would pay $100 a year to be a member if it was in a decent area. I'm sure fans would feel better if a portion of their beer budget went to the club.

How many of us have spoken to the CEO in 25 years anyway? Are we really expecting unfettered access to the CEO? No one really wants this surely?

Last edited:
i think if you are a member … it should give you a bit of special privilege…

What this should be … I dont know exactly … Richo talking/not talking to me doesn’t really move the needle much IMO..

If the club is fair dinkum about listening to members then why put fans into two distinct classes? Nobody believes that Richo will give an open audience to 10,000 ‘members’. However, if he could convince the HBG to sell 25% to members, giving 15,000+ members voting rights and fast tracking his vision of a $15m buffer, then we have a game on our hands.
Naturally paid up members would have limited liability and limited recourse.
But to call people members of a fan club because they’re paying money to the club somehow seems a little disingenuous.
We could pay our money to our own fan club.😂
The club has continually threatened not to talk to people unless they pay them? Seriously? This is not Richo talking, he’s following orders.
A sponsor, member and a non-member should be treated equally?

Without preferential treatment, what incentive do fans have to pay for a membership?

I think making it about whether or not the CEO would talk to you was a mistake. Even members never really expected to have long chats with the CEO as a result of their membership. It's never been what membership is about.

The club needs to do a better job of selling the value of a membership. It feels more like a donation right now.

A sponsor, member and a non-member should be treated equally?

Without preferential treatment, what incentive do fans have to pay for a membership?

I think making it about whether or not the CEO would talk to you was a mistake. Even members never really expected to have long chats with the CEO as a result of their membership. It's never been what membership is about.

The club needs to do a better job of selling the value of a membership. It feels more like a donation right now.
It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that the incredulous title of member, even considering it has attached benefits of scarf, flag stubbie holder and a number which when presented will stop the CEO from ignoring you, has been devalued by the club to the point they give away more memberships than they sell.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Btw

I think we'd have far more members if we had Wests Tigers branded leagues clubs around Sydney.

Everyone has a dinner/drinks/watches games...I think most would pay $100 a year to be a member if it was in a decent area. I'm sure fans would feel better if a portion of their beer budget went to the club.

How many of us have spoken to the CEO in 25 years anyway? Are we really expecting unfettered access to the CEO? No one really wants this surely?
How much would you pay for membership which has voting rights?

It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that the incredulous title of member, even considering it has attached benefits of scarf, flag stubbie holder and a number which when presented will stop the CEO from ignoring you, has been devalued by the club to the point they give away more memberships than they sell.

Hence why there should be additional value to being a member ….

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but a GA WT membership is more expensive than the equivalent in any other Sydney team. The 5 game membership for Leichhardt is more expensive than the 5 game Campbelltown membership, and both are more expensive than just buying tickets online before each game individually.
I've been a dedicated "supporter" of the team since I was a kid and go to every game I can, but I can't see the value proposition for a Tigers membership.

Hence why there should be additional value to being a member ….
Theyve tried so hard to sell it but people aren’t buying. You would think they would review the features and benefits of what it is they’re selling, but instead for years they alienate the non member fans by saying their opinion doesn’t count. Do they not realise they are diminishing their opportunities?

How much would you pay for membership which has voting rights?
I think my leagues club suggestion was another type of membership which is more venue and entertainment based.

Most of us would eat and drink at a venue many more times in a year than attend games.

I don't think voting comes into it for that, but to answer your question, anything you charge needs to be commensurate with what other clubs charge.

I think my leagues club suggestion was another type of membership which is more venue and entertainment based.

Most of us would eat and drink at a venue many more times in a year than attend games.

I don't think voting comes into it for that, but to answer your question, anything you charge needs to be commensurate with what other clubs charge.
The tangible connection between sspending towards the club, receiving a fair product in return, all has merits to a value membership.
There again, somewhere in a club membership, there just has to be a voting right.

The tangible connection between sspending towards the club, receiving a fair product in return, all has merits to a value membership.
There again, somewhere in a club membership, there just has to be a voting right.
The trouble is our members will never get that due to the structure of the club.

I am talking about membership that provides access to a venue. Like a gym membership, you wouldn't expect voting rights.

Think of it as separate to the football club memberships. An added revenue stream.

As a member myself, if I saw him actually say that to someone, I’d probably tell him the club can shove my membership up their arse. I like Richo, but that is spitting in the face of people who love the club. Basically your lifetime of devotion carries no value you to them unless you compensate them monetarily.
Somehow, I think he’d be OK with that.

• Haha
Reactions: BZN

Latest posts

Staff online

Back