Bloke in a Bar

Bigscreentv

Not sure if anyone watched the Bloke in a Bar round review yesterday, but Brett Finch said something that occurred to me when I heard that the doco was coming out.

He basically said that Wests Tigers should get the basics right before they start making documentaries, and I completely agree with him. The only leeway you can give the management team on this one is that they thought this would be the turnaround year and that it would make great content, however to me it screams of a club/management team that wants the glory before they've done the hard yards. I think it added pressure on Madge and the players and probably wasn't a good move in hindsight.

@bigscreentv said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466788) said:
Not sure if anyone watched the Bloke in a Bar round review yesterday, but Brett Finch said something that occurred to me when I heard that the doco was coming out.

He basically said that Wests Tigers should get the basics right before they start making documentaries, and I completely agree with him. The only leeway you can give the management team on this one is that they thought this would be the turnaround year and that it would make great content, however to me it screams of a club/management team that wants the glory before they've done the hard yards. I think it added pressure on Madge and the players and probably wasn't a good move in hindsight.

I said this as the doco was being teased. The whole doco was a comedic piece for other fan bases and a sob story for Maguire. All it showed me is that he swears a lot and Pascoe needs to change barbers. Never should’ve been approved

@yeahcaz said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466793) said:

I said this as the doco was being teased. The whole doco was a comedic piece for other fan bases and a sob story for Maguire. All it showed me is that he swears a lot and Pascoe needs to change barbers. Never should’ve been approved

Another pascoe mistake.

Finch is spot on with his take on it.
You only have to look at how our blokes carry on after a win (usually against a bad team) and how they strut around like they've just won the premiership. Maguire called them out for it on the doco as well. Win 1 game and carry on like world-beaters. Hate seeing it.

Those who watch fifth and last again they gave good perspective of where club has gone wrong with juniors since sheens left.

The Bloke has a good perspective as he had a junior pathway role with WT in the past and says senior management have no clue what's going on at junior level. Mentioned one player who's had an acl recently they reckon he is grade level mentioned to management and they had no idea who he was. Said recently went to mounties but didn't mention a name.

@tony-soprano said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466813) said:
Those who watch fifth and last again they gave good perspective of where club has gone wrong with juniors since sheens left.

The Bloke has a good perspective as he had a junior pathway role with WT in the past and says senior management have no clue what's going on at junior level. Mentioned one player who's had an acl recently they reckon he is grade level mentioned to management and they had no idea who he was. Said recently went to mounties but didn't mention a name.

Got a link?
I’ve read many similar stories regarding the state of the junior comps (outside the elite pathways) but you wouldn’t find them unique to just our club / territory.

@needaname said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466821) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466813) said:

Got a link?
I’ve read many similar stories regarding the state of the junior comps (outside the elite pathways) but you wouldn’t find them unique to just our club / territory.

https://twitter.com/fifthnlast/status/1434884135324045315?s=19

Yeah, Madge doesn't come across that well does he...

The club just needs to have a good hard look at itself. Has Phil Gould ever commented on working with Pascoe? Did they ever work together?

I just looked at Pascoe's Linkedin and he's not very experienced as a sports administrator - most of his time in sports was running Panthers Club, which is essentially a block of pokies. His background is in sales, and he's from Melbourne...not saying there's no league supporters in Melbourne, but i'd be surprised if league was his passion, especially considering he worked for the Western Bulldogs.

To me the doco is a typical Australian Sports Marketing strategy - gloss up the product with tacky marketing executions, when they forget that the actual product is the quality on the field. Rather than investing in marketing, invest in development/performances - you don't need advertising and promotion if your product is strong!

@bigscreentv said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466913) said:

The club just needs to have a good hard look at itself. Has Phil Gould ever commented on working with Pascoe? Did they ever work together?

I just looked at Pascoe's Linkedin and he's not very experienced as a sports administrator - most of his time in sports was running Panthers Club, which is essentially a block of pokies. His background is in sales, and he's from Melbourne...not saying there's no league supporters in Melbourne, but i'd be surprised if league was his passion, especially considering he worked for the Western Bulldogs.

To me the doco is a typical Australian Sports Marketing strategy - gloss up the product with tacky marketing executions, when they forget that the actual product is the quality on the field. Rather than investing in marketing, invest in development/performances - you don't need advertising and promotion if your product is strong!

when Pascoe was blacklisted Gould came out and said that he hopes he keeps his job afterwards, said he's a good bloke and well credentialed.

@jrtiger said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466917) said:
@bigscreentv said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466913) said:

when Pascoe was blacklisted Gould came out and said that he hopes he keeps his job afterwards, said he's a good bloke and well credentialed.

Fair enough.

Oh well, just looking for answers on what has been a disappointing few years.

Not that I've seen - hopefully they've been locked in a room without their phones.

@bigscreentv said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466929) said:
Not that I've seen - hopefully they've been locked in a room without their phones.

![mad monday.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1630993436839-mad-monday.jpg)

@tiger-woods said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466922) said:
Speaking of bars
Any gossip from mad monday ?

I saw MCK had arrived home safely earlier today greeted by his dog and pregnant wife.

What a good dude.

Looked relax and not hung over.

@tiger-tragic said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466801) said:
@yeahcaz said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466793) said:

I didn't watch it (or anything that resembles reality TV*) so I can't comment on specifics. But I love your succinct summary of it. So funny

* apparently Dancing with a Farmer is ok??

What about that new show,

"The masked singing, dancing, apprentice batchelor farmer naked and afraid on Love Island with Big Brother who is a Block Head."

@demps said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1467046) said:
@tiger-woods said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466922) said:
Speaking of bars
Any gossip from mad monday ?

I saw MCK had arrived home safely earlier today greeted by his dog and pregnant wife.

What a good dude.

Looked relax and not hung over.

I find it hard to dislike him. always tried hard and gave his all, just not as naturally gifted as we needed. For the money I'd say the Tigers got exactly what they paid for.

@fade-to-black said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466812) said:

You only have to look at how our blokes carry on after a win (usually against a bad team) and how they strut around like they've just won the premiership. Maguire called them out for it on the doco as well. Win 1 game and carry on like world-beaters. Hate seeing it.

At least they didn't have a mad Saturday like St.George after having a win, or hasn't that story been leaked by the Telecrap and Fox yet.

@hank37w said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1467704) said:
@fade-to-black said in [Bloke in a Bar](/post/1466812) said:

At least they didn't have a mad Saturday like St.George after having a win, or hasn't that story been leaked by the Telecrap and Fox yet.

From a few reports they did after they barely beat Broncos. Team members drinking and celebrating till 3am.

The Wests Tigers documentary was a terrible reflection of the club.

Back