Benji Marshall begins life as Wests Tigers coach as the joint venture searches for something to believe in

How the players perform? Or how successful the team’s performance is?
are you changing the question?

I'm not trying to change the question. I think a lot of people believe the team's performance is impacted via the CEO/Chairman/Board etc when personally I don't think it is.

Benji assures fans and the playing group that the rumblings at board level that have plagued the club for years wouldn’t filter down to the team.
“One thing I’ve made really clear with the players is whatever happens at board level above us has no effect on what we do,” he said.

Pretty sure this is what Lee and Justin have been saying for a while, but it’s interesting to learn Benji acknowledge that the club has a serious problem and has addressed the issue with the playing group.

How do others view this? Is Benji trying to seperate the team from the board and its political antics? Or insulate the players from the boards demotivational influence?
I have just been offered a role of as Player Welfare Manager at a Sydney Rugby club and the main aim is to take day to day issues (accommodation, job searching, education etc) out of their worries of players which will give them the time to concentrate on playing rugby. Though slightly different, I can see Benji trying to do the same thing and that is to let the players focus on football and let him take care of the rest of the crap.

I think he is on the right track

I have just been offered a role of as Player Welfare Manager at a Sydney Rugby club and the main aim is to take day to day issues (accommodation, job searching, education etc) out of their worries of players which will give them the time to concentrate on playing rugby. Though slightly different, I can see Benji trying to do the same thing and that is to let the players focus on football and let him take care of the rest of the crap.

Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be? Let’s not go crazy, patting him on the back for things that are common sense.

Benji’s coaching outlook in 2024 & his coaching team……
“In our [coaching] team Robbie [Farah] looks after the attack, John [Morris] looks after the defence, Chris [Heighington] will do the forwards and our effort areas and I’ll oversee the overarching theme of the way we want to play.
“Other than that, I let them do their jobs and have their say. They’re very experienced and very good at what they do. You don’t wanna overdo it but again, I also don’t want to come in and become a head coach and do it someone else’s way.
“I wanna do it the way I wanna do it. The way I see it working is the way I’m gonna do things.”
“Marshall boils down his overriding philosophy to just two words: Team first.”
He has learnt from two of the best coaches, Tim and Wayne, and hopefully WestsTigers in 2024 and beyond can greatly benefit under the rookie coach’s plans, philosophy and discipline!!

yes I agree with that theory of the more focussed the players are without the external influences, the more improved the results, particularly when put under stress. It can’t be easy to manage though if those influences are originating from the club’s decision makers.
good luck with the job mate!

A average coach with a team of elite players will beat a team of average players coached by a great coach 9 times out of ten.

In saying that if your a club is on the bottom of the pack and all you have at your disposal is a average roster you need a coach with a special mindset and Benji might just be that person.

Time will tell but I have a feeling we will climb a few rungs of the ladder in 2024

A average coach with a team of elite players will beat a team of average players coached by a great coach 9 times out of ten.

In saying that if your a club is on the bottom of the pack and all you have at your disposal is a average roster you need a coach with a special mindset and Benji might just be that person.

Time will tell but I have a feeling we will climb a few rungs of the ladder in 2024
I like what I’m hearing from Benji so far, but it’s a long season when the buck stops with the head coach. I wonder if he has Tim on speed dial?

Benji assures fans and the playing group that the rumblings at board level that have plagued the club for years wouldn’t filter down to the team.
“One thing I’ve made really clear with the players is whatever happens at board level above us has no effect on what we do,” he said.

Pretty sure this is what Lee and Justin have been saying for a while, but it’s interesting to learn Benji acknowledge that the club has a serious problem and has addressed the issue with the playing group.

How do others view this? Is Benji trying to seperate the team from the board and its political antics? Or insulate the players from the boards demotivational influence?
The fact Benji has to say this is the issue. I'm glad he's highlighted it. How many other coaches would need to say that in the NRL?

The truth is, no matter what benji says, it will effect the players. The board need to put on their big boy pants and grow up.

It will either fall in a disastrous heap or we are at the start of a return to glory Netflix/ESPN special series.
I feel that something special is taking root but I am a hopeful sucker every year

It will either fall in a disastrous heap or we are at the start of a return to glory Netflix/ESPN special series.
I feel that something special is taking root but I am a hopeful sucker every year

I feel that our chances of a good turnaround are a lot higher under Benji than they were with Tim,it is still far from certain and certainly not as high as i would like but at least 2024 is possible and imho 2023 never was

I feel that our chances of a good turnaround are a lot higher under Benji than they were with Tim,it is still far from certain and certainly not as high as i would like but at least 2024 is possible and imho 2023 never was
Agree with this, but I’d feel a little more confident and a lot happier if we could just bag ourselves a really good centre.

Aggressive recruiting requires cutting some underperforming players. Bulldogs are better example of that model going into next season than what has happened at WTs considering that both teams finished at the bottom end of the competition.

I'm not trying to change the question. I think a lot of people believe the team's performance is impacted via the CEO/Chairman/Board etc when personally I don't think it is.
Well I think it can when a chairman goes out of his way to sign a player to a long contract for an amount that is overly inflated in comparison to his output and value to the team, when a CEO/Chairman/Board go behind the backs of the coaching staff to bring in people from outside the organisation having a profound effect on the football department.

Could be extreme examples but I think things like this can affect the team in a number of ways and these can lead to a lowering of morale and team performance.

I think things outside the coaching/football department can have a profound effect on a team's performance and we only have to have a look at the rainbow jersey fiasco at Manly that saw the team slump and lead to the sacking of the coach who ended up being the one person in the organisation to have the guts to front the media over the matter.

Just look at Big Mal and Queensland

Perhaps he is referring to possible upheavals at board level due to the recent petition and review?

If Benji is a success he and we have the current board to thank for his appointment.

Anyway, he wouldn't be a head coach in 2024 without them.

Obviously, some senior players think he ticks the boxes.

Last edited:
Aggressive recruiting requires cutting some underperforming players. Bulldogs are better example of that model going into next season than what has happened at WTs considering that both teams finished at the bottom end of the competition.
That’s all well and good if your a Trent Robinson type who has proven success as a head coach. but if your a Ciraldo type who’s apparently a gun Assistant , it doesn’t much for guys to go “you’re full of shit mate . You’re just riding on the coat tails of a golden generation at the riff , and the Cleary family just your mate Trent was a couple of years ago” .
Bang! You’ve lost the dressing room and might as well sip pina coladas all day because you’re going to have the same effect !
The Benji style screams Wayne to me ! Belief , team , compete , team , confidence , team and most importantly” I have your back”.

Back