Benji Marshall #70

I was thinking last week this reminds me of Hagi, slightest bit of criticism and hes on SEN shooting his gob off.
I agree with Anasta they need to just wear the punches, let it slide and crry on with their work....Youre just feeding these parasites trying to defend yourself and the club, work hard on getting wins and it - criticism - goes away, Im led to believe.

I was thinking last week this reminds me of Hagi, slightest bit of criticism and hes on SEN shooting his gob off.
I agree with Anasta they need to just wear the punches, let it slide and crry on with their work....Youre just feeding these parasites trying to defend yourself and the club, work hard on getting wins and it - criticism - goes away, Im led to believe.

As tough sometimes it can be you just need to ignore it. We are a punching bag for a reason. We need to shift all our energy and focus in letting actions do the talking in getting positive results.

You totally ignore the context of Benji's response - as did Braith and Gus conveniently!

He was asked the stupid question by a Channel 10 reporter (who was re-hashing gutter journalism shit from the DT) last week at the sheduled and NRL-mandated pre-game presser - how was he supposed to respond?

Benji did not call the press to respond after the initial trashy reports or NRL360 character assassination regarding the part-time coach crap - but when pushed on the issue he responded perfectly!!

NOT AT ALL like "Hagi" who still has a paid spot on SEN to self-promote despite having zero insight or actual interest in the game of rugby league except what it can do for him!

Last edited:

Commentary without context - and it is evident that Benji had no choice but to respond verbally at the time!

Doesn't mean his focus wasn't fully on preparing the side ahead of the Dragons game.

Mr Know-it-All actually hasn''t coached a premiership winning team since 1991 - or even been on the staff at a premiership winning club since - despite his years at Easts, Penrith, Bulldogs and even Warriors...

Stick to your revolving 5-year plans Gus - while knowing your media mates will never undermine you or question your supposed wisdom!

1711207125953.png

It's early days but I really liked what I saw in the post game celebrations and the footage of Benji interacting with his players. Could we be witnessing a Bennet - like skill of man management? We seem to be seeing a very encouraging and supportive style that instils camaraderie and inspires players to try their hand in attack. I liked hearing comments such as 'relaxed' and 'let's us play what we see'. What people forget about The Tigers' first game was that it actually was the team's first hit out and they were rusty, lacked combinations and were off the pace in intensity. Last night was a different story. Well done Benji!

Coaching and getting players up these days is a hard gig. In the old days everyone was on big incentive contracts, where you got a sign on fee then you got match payments depending on if you won or loss.
Now you just get a massive contract and a win or loss has little or no bearing on your bank balance. So a coach who can get his roster to compete week in and week out is worth his weight in gold. Benji has them competing for every inch

You totally ignore the context of Benji's response - as did Braith and Gus conveniently!

He was asked the stupid question by a Channel 10 reporter (who was re-hashing gutter journalism shit from the DT) last week at the sheduled and NRL-mandated pre-game presser - how was he supposed to respond?

Benji did not call the press to respond after the initial trashy reports or NRL360 character assassination regarding the part-time coach crap - but when pushed on the issue he responded perfectly!!

NOT AT ALL like "Hagi" who still has a paid spot on SEN to self-promote despite having zero insight or actual interest in the game of rugby league except what it can do for him!

I dont care who called the press regardless....it reminded me of Hagi even if he has a paid gig...Benji needs to learn to zip it when they come after him because its more than likely odds on it will occur againt at some stage this year
Hopefully it doesnt ...means were travelling well

Benji proving to be a great judge of playing talent.
I didn’t think he was correct in choosing Sezer over Jack Cogger, but there’s no way Cogger would have had the same impact as Sezer has so far. Also considering the only way we would have got Cogger was to sign him on a multi year deal for a much higher cost than Sezer. With the emergence of our young talent, we didn’t need to lock on a good, but not brilliant player like Cogger on a long deal.
He was also right in signing Justin Olam and was right in throwing Lachie Galvin in from round 2.

are you talking about Gheorghe Hagi, not sure he was the best coach, but what a player!

I dont care who called the press regardless....it reminded me of Hagi even if he has a paid gig...Benji needs to learn to zip it when they come after him because its more than likely odds on it will occur againt at some stage this year
Hopefully it doesnt ...means were travelling well
So you are suggesting he would have been better to say "no comment"?

Or put a premature end to the press conference?

Context is everything and the question demanded an answer at the time.

Back